View Full Version : yahoo mail with outlook?

spursdude
07-09-2002, 06:54 AM
hey -

i was wondering if there is any way to be able to sync and read my yahoo mail with outlook on my maestro. it seems there is a hotmail plugin available - any such product for yahoo mail? thanks.

spursdude

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 02:11 PM
I haven't heard of one - has anyone else?

dcharles18
07-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Yahoo began charging for POP/SMTP mail. Unless you subscribe to that (I believe it is $30/year) there is really no other way that I am aware of.

JonnoB
07-10-2002, 04:53 AM
as dcharles said, yahoo used to have free smtp/pop3 access, but then started charging for it. Even when it was free, it wasn't very good because it stripped out your html formatting and added it's signature tag to every outgoing email. If you are going to pay for anything, might as well buy a pop3 mailbox somewhere...

dcharles18
07-10-2002, 05:26 AM
If you're shopping around for free SMTP/POP3 mail, take a look at gmx.net, it works very well (as long as you do not mind German).

pnz999
07-10-2002, 06:06 AM
how about a good free SMTP/POP3 mail that is in ENGLISH?

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Maybe this would help:
http://www.iopus.com/guides/bestpopsmtp.htm
or
http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm
or
http://freemailguide.com/free_pop3_email.html

torgamm
07-10-2002, 07:17 AM
If you're shopping around for free SMTP/POP3 mail, take a look at gmx.net, it works very well (as long as you do not mind German).And if you do not mind french, you can still use Yahoo.fr
They do not charge anything for POP3 and forward.
And even if you do not read french very well, french Yahoo mail webpage look is pretty much the same as the english one.

dcharles18
07-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Here you go:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2126

Just remember to thank Jason :wink:

spursdude
07-13-2002, 06:38 AM
thanks - i may just sign up for a free stmp/pop3 email address (although i don't really feel like having the hassle of notifying everybody who e-mails me!)

is izymail really only for winNT as somebody posted?

billresso
07-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi

'scuse me for appearing thick! but why not use Hotmail? It's free and you can access it via you PPC - I know it's by MS but well it's still free to use?

You have to have an ISP to use it tho' surely you have one of those?
OK they are NOT free - But use your work-place or internet cafe and log-in
That's free enough, no?

Rergards

spursdude
07-16-2002, 06:42 PM
A few reasons I don't want to switch e-mail accounts:

-to hotmail: only 2MB of storage, vs. 6MB in my yahoo account (i'm using over 3MB right now). also, I've heard horror stories about the spam issue, and i hate spam. with my yahoo account, in my 4 or 5 years of it, i've gotten fewer than 50 spam messages (seriously!).
also, i don't want to have to notify everybody of the address change. the sacrifices are too many to justify e-mail on my PPC.

-to my attbi account. this may be a viable option, which i will consider. but, i don't want to have to go through the hassle of telling everybody my new e-mail address.

if i do anything, i will do it with attbi (cable provider).

markcrump
07-18-2002, 04:47 AM
Why not have Yahoo forward your yahoo mail to attbi? You can set your reply to: email address in your pop3 client to your yahoo address.

spursdude
07-18-2002, 07:36 AM
perhaps you don't keep up with the times...the forwarding service is $30 a year.

markcrump
07-18-2002, 02:48 PM
<<perhaps you don't keep up with the times...the forwarding service is $30 a year. >>

You're right. My bad. I knew about the POP3 charge since it affected me, but forgot about the forwarding fee.

draiken
07-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Yahoo! offers a free version of Easy Sync (I think its easy sync, if not, sorry) that allows you to sync to outlook your calendar, tasks, and notes.

Unfortunatelly, since they began charging for the Pop3/Forwarding... it's only a half solution...

Anyway it's a pretty good solution for having your contacts and calendar available from everywhere (with internet connection) even if you don't have your PDA at hand.

spursdude
07-19-2002, 02:08 AM
the intellisync solution seems a bit sketchy to me. read what yahoo says...

Make a backup copy of your data before synchronizing. The first synchronization is always the most difficult because it depends on extensive duplicate checking across multiple PIMs. Neither Yahoo! nor Pumatech(formerly Puma Technology) is responsible for lost or duplicated data.Get help with backing up your data.

Uninstall other synchronization software. Due to incompatibilities between some synchronization applications, we strongly advise that you fully uninstall any other synchronization product, excluding Palm Hotsync, before downloading and installing this synchronization software.

i think this may mean that i have to uninstall activesync. i don't want to do that. i may just get an attbi account and be done with this issue.

draiken
07-19-2002, 02:37 AM
Don't worry about it... there is also another software from Starfish... also on Yahoo!'s page, and it doesnt have the huge list of requirements.

I've tried both, without un-installing ActiveSync, with no problems, just don't sync both utilities at the same time

markcrump
07-19-2002, 03:07 AM
He's right. It's not a big deal. That's the "we need to cover our fannies in case something goes wrong so you don't come over our house with a baseball bat" message.

I've gotten decent results with the Starfish program.

dcharles18
07-20-2002, 01:15 AM
I've never used starfish with my PPC but I remember that it fouled things up royally with my palm.