View Full Version : Convergence or Divergence?

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 12:47 AM
<a href="http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/stateofindustry_monday.html">http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/stateofindustry_monday.html</a><br /><br />Brighthand is starting a full week of columns dedicated to the state of the handheld industry. The first article is on the concept of convergence devices vs. the divergence of devices in the industry (ie: make multiple device types for multiple markets). Ultimately both are needed in my opinion, but not every company will be willing or able to take on all the markets at once - yet any market they miss will be upset that they were missed (like the people who want an 02 XDA with 128 megs of RAM...)<br /><br />"Do you want one device that does it all? Or would you prefer several single-purpose gadgets that each do one thing well? That's the big question on the minds of consumer electronics manufacturers as they attempt to predict what you and I will buy in the future. Some are placing their bets on convergence, whereby the functionality of two or more gadgets becomes converged into one device. In the realm of handheld computers, we've witnessed the melding of the portable music player with the organizer, and the cellphone with the PDA. But whether large numbers of consumers will adopt these products has yet to be seen."

ThomasC22
07-09-2002, 03:05 AM
I'm someone who has been turned around on this. On one hand, I switched from my iPaq to a Kyocera 6035 solely because I wanted the convergence. On the other, I ended up buying a Toshiba e740 because the Kyocera just wasn't cutting it.

What I'm finding is that I never really wanted convergence to begin with, what I want is common data. The problem being, until CDMA manufacturers get with the program and decide to give me bluetooth I'm out of luck(currently, no matter how much I'd be willing to spend, there is no phone available to me that has Bluetooth built in)

But just getting a phone that can sync with outlook has helped alot. I still wish I could browse the internet without a cable, but maybe some day.

The other issue I see here is that there are features I'd really like in a PDA that just don't fit in a phone. A thumb keyboard comes to mind (btw, PPC manufacturers, one of you get with the program and offer a built in thumb keyboard). So you have to make a bunch of crazy compromises (both on the design side and on the user side) to make a convergence device work.

I mean think about it, from the user perspective, do you really want to worry about how long you listen to your MP3s because you might need your phone if you get a flat tire? Plus, you can't look up contacts while on the phone. and Don't EVEN get me started on on-screen buttons.

Bottom Line, convergence is a popular buzz word right now, but in my opinion, it doesn't work and probably never will.

Down8
07-09-2002, 07:09 AM
I could've sworn Ericsson made a Bluetooth phone. I remember them touting the ability to use Bluetooth accessories, like an earpiece. Maybe that was just general Bluetooth hype though.

Anyway, I like have some 'extra' features in my phone [like e-mail addresses], but I prefer the 'multiple items for multiple tasks' approach. Yes, sometimes I'm bogged down with a cell phone and a PDA, but I don't always need the functionality of my Jornada, nor do I always want to be contactable by cellphone. I did get a little excited by the new Sanyo phone with a color screen and the ability to have 'picture caller ID' - way cool.

Just me though,
-bZj

JonnoB
07-09-2002, 07:36 AM
I think most people want the convenience of integrated devices, but will find that one feature of the device that needs to be upgraded and will hate throwing away the expensive device to get that one feature. I think what we need is a good upgradeable hybrid... a modular approach, but without the bulky springboard type add-ons. Integrated WiFi in the 740 shows what is possible. We should have a very small PDA with 3 or 4 slots (SD / CF / etc) so that we can add GPS, WiFi, BT, Phone, etc without weight and bulkiness. 4 SD slots would be perfect with WiFi and BT already integrated since those are not likely to change quickly.

Tierran
07-09-2002, 09:41 AM
I'm not a fan of convergence devices. Instead of one device to replace two you just get one device that does an ok job of both but not a good job of either. If they make something that does what I want well, then sure. As it is, battery life on one of these has to be the pits. Nah, I'll wait till they get this right.

PPCRules
07-09-2002, 02:24 PM
I believe many people think convergence is going to be great, but once they get this device they dream of, it isn't going to be as wonderful as they thought it would be.

I have long scratched my head at the idea of putting a phone in your PDA (or vice versa). Why? The tradeoffs are great and should be obvious to all. The chief of these problems is the display, and there's no way around that. A display for PDA functions is much too big for something you would call a phone, and something the size of a 'phone' can never have a useful display.
What I'd be very happy with is a cell phone about the size of my pager, which I've worn for 10 years and never give a thought to putting it on or that I have it on. Who needs a multiline display on their cell phone? And I'd be pretty content with my PDA as it is (thinner and lighter would be fine) for things I need a display for. If they linked simply (dial from address book and wireless data through phone's modem) with IR (maybe even the mythical Bluetooth 5 years from now), it would be icing on the cake.

Brad Adrian
07-09-2002, 02:47 PM
What I'm finding is that I never really wanted convergence to begin with, what I want is common data.

You've hit the nail on the head. We get so wrapped up with technology issues that we forget to back up and define exactly what our real needs are. The difficulty is that our needs can sometimes be defined only in abstract terms, like "efficiency" or "flexibility." For example, a particular user doesn't *need* a LOOX with nationwide wireless coverage, he *needs* access to a calendar that's updated frequently by his assistant.

scottmag
07-09-2002, 03:42 PM
What I'm finding is that I never really wanted convergence to begin with, what I want is common data.

The planets must be aligned in a peculiar way because I find myself agreeing with ThomasC22. :)

I have long said that PDAs are about data not applications. And that is why I still choose PalmOS over PocketPC. I want mobile access to my important data not the application that created it. When I travel I don't saw the legs off my desk to try to take everything with me. I throw the important stuff in a briefcase. And that's how I see the PDA - primarily as portable access to important data.

Before I get flamed, I realize the need many have for data creation and PocketPC fits that need well. Please use whatever works best for you and fits your needs.

On the subject of smartphones, or converged devices, the mass market has already spoken. People just want the cheap mobile phone so they can stay in touch with their family or make an emergency call (like, "Honey, what was the third thing I was supposed to buy?"). When I see people with cell phones in those bulky (fake) leather cases clipped to their front pocket and hanging down onto their thigh I realize that no amount of style, advanced features, or elegant convergence is going to win over the mass market.

Microsoft may get it right with the Smartphone platform. If they concentrate on making it comfortable primarily as a phone, and then get the data features well integrated, we might have a winner. I think its downfall though will be what Ed has already addressed - the Smartphone is too reliant on Microsoft's Mobile Information Server.

Scott

danmanmayer
07-09-2002, 04:24 PM
I have been waiting for a pocket pc phone that has 64 mb or ram (Or more) support for compact flash type 2 and isn't considered a terrible phone. It doesn't seem i am asking for to much. But no all the phones come with tiny expensive SD memory which isn't the type i have already spent a bunch on and purchased alot of CF 2 add ons. So i can't leave that standard without spending an additional $300 or more. So that is a must. Besides that i really only need wireless better than 56 kbs but they are offering me up to 144 kbs This is simply amazing. I can't wait to just get my hands on a device that does this and does it well. So any manufactures out there listening i have $600 for the first one of you do make this product. So happy will i be when i can carry around just a pocket pc and have it do everything I would ever need while away from my PC.

pradike
07-09-2002, 04:56 PM
The MYTH about convergence is that one device CANNOT EVER do an adaquate job as a PDA & Phone/Pager - Classic Case of Jack of All Trades, Master of None.
This is clearly just a marketing ploy by manufacturers to get us to buy YET MORE TOYS - a solution without a problem. Clearly, if we should of learned anything form the evolution of the PDA, its that developing a USEABLE device for humans that also is ergonmic & fuctionally sound cannot be achieved. Have you actually held a color Treo device in your hands...its a joke! The "New" Nokia Communicator? Better get out those reading glasses AND work out in the weightroom.

Sure, I'd rather have one box than two in my pockets, but both serve a purpose, and each does it well for its OWN reasons.

Nothing that has been released, even in concept at this time, that provides A PRACTICAL solution in one package - for good reason - there isn't one!

The idea that a PDA will be small enough to use as a phone or pager, while large enough to display useful data in a viable format is an Oxymoron in and of itself - Big screen, Big Device...Small Screen, Non-Viewable Device.

When you look at where digital phones are today, and also where PDAs are today (and in the near term), both are actually done quite well. There are still some opportunities to enhance these devices for mobile video, higher speed and better wireless internet, and better Desktop software integration.

In terms of merging these - no can do - you either can see it well with useful data, or have a matchbox-size device with no visability. I'd be happy with a 1Ghz Ipaq with built in 1 GHz storage, and maybe 1 oz removed in weight with the overall size reduced 1/2" each way without reducing the screen to "get the weight off".

Is it a mere coincidence that the only people really "selling" this concept are the wireless phone & related software vendors (Nokia, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Microsoft, Symbian, and others) -- GEE I wonder who would profit by selling this concept, even if its bogus ????

The New PocketPhone2002 devices are 3 times the size of my digital phone? This is a solution - NOT!

JonnoB
07-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Besides that i really only need wireless better than 56 kbs but they are offering me up to 144 kbs This is simply amazing.

I think that this will be the killer application that drives integrated devices. Or... a combined GPRS/WiFi/BT card in small form factor (CF/SD) would be great for hopping between networks and eliminate my desire for an integrated device.

Jason Dunn
07-09-2002, 05:11 PM
The MYTH about convergence is that one device CANNOT EVER do an adaquate job as a PDA & Phone/Pager - Classic Case of Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

I disagree completely. There's nothing technically impossible about it, and some of the devices on the market now come close. The problem is that in order to keep the cost down, they all sacrifice on features or functionality. But I've seen the way some of my MVP buddies use the HTC Phone Editon Pocket PC, and that's about as close to device nirvana that I've seen.

pradike
07-09-2002, 05:43 PM
:lol:

Jason - I really love your WEB site - SO - Please don't take this disagreement personally, but...

While you CORRECTLY point out that there is virtually no technical reason to prevent delivery of a convergent device that has PDA/Wireless Phone functionality, the point of my post is that this is NOT an issue of engineering, its a HUMAN issue - that is, PEOPLE can't and won't use a merged technology that compromises basic desires in use that have been in place for years:

If the device is too large or heavy, it is considered "old tech" and is overshadowed by numerous devices that are lighter & smaller.

If the device cannot be read without telescopic reading glasses - no one can read anything of value on it - look at all the new Digital Phones & even the lowly Palm Pilots - high resolution color is in (for readability).

Anything without BOTH a decent-size screen that can be read without a microscope AND no larger that the size of today's digital wireless phones will be viewed as an unacceptable compromise in one or the other - this reminds me of the Betamax & OS/2 - both good ideas on paper but the public wanted no part of it on a mass sales basis. The word dinosaur comes to mind. The problem is you CAN'T HAVE BOTH a large screen AND a small device - which means the only answer is compromise in one or the other...neither of which will work for the reasons listed above.

If the Nokia (Brick) Communicator & PocketPhone (a phone that big?) are today's answer - we are waiting for something that doesn't exist. While we can build almost anything - WHO WILL USE THE DARN THING is the REAL ISSUE. My surveys to date indicate NO ONE I KNOW!

I wish that manufacturers & software developers would work equally as hard on getting what they've built RIGHT, rather than focusing on creating new things they THINK people want, but don't.

Thanks for the forum to be the spokesman for our recent roundtable of 7 PDA users who happened to ALL agree on this point of view.

Best wishes on your great work here!

Carlos
07-10-2002, 07:10 PM
If VoiceStream would finally ship the PPC Phone, I'd camp on their doorstep until they opened in the morning. Having to carry two devices is just stupid with today's technology. They're both on my belt whenever I go anywhere, so why wouldn't I want just a single device?

Gen-M
07-10-2002, 07:59 PM
... this reminds me of the Betamax & OS/2 - both good ideas on paper but the public wanted no part of it on a mass sales basis...

A better analogy is the Hi-Fi Stereo market. There were similar arguments over all-in-one vs component systems in the 50s and 60s. It finally came down to all-in-one owns the low-end market, component owns the high-end market, and they share the mid market.

Different strokes for different folks. Don't assume your desires are mine. :wink: