View Full Version : Install TTF font to storage card?

sheik
07-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Is there any way to install a TTF font other than copying it to windows/fonts?
I have a couple of Chinese fonts which take up around 13Mb and I would love to be able to offload them onto my CF card.

I am sure there is a way of doing this as I installed Ectaco's Japanese dictionary software and that gave me an option to install a TTF Japanese font to my storage card. The font is correctly installed as all apps can see it as a valid font.

So, I know it is possible via a program install. Does anyone know how I would go about doing it myself?

Thanks,

/\dam

sheik
04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm bumping this, given the time frame I'm sure nobody will mind ;)

Sadly I still haven't found a way of doing this - can anyone help?

/\dam

Don't Panic!
04-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Just a guess but how about using the same folder the ectaco software created on your storage card?

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Wiggster
04-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Or, you can get a free little utility.

Go to http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/ and download Font On Storage Ver.1.01. Extract FontOnStorage.exe to your Windows start menu via ActiveSync, then you just run FontOnStorage.exe when you want to use fonts on your storage card.

Alternatively, you can put FontOnStorage.exe in your StartUp menu and it'll run when you soft reset your Pocket PC.

delfuhd
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I've been lookin for a solution to this problem as well, except I just have a lot of different fonts... Thanks adwignall!

sheik
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks for posting the link to "Font On Storage".
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me.

I have two Chinese TTF fonts in the root directory of my compact flash card: MingLiu (mingliu.ttf) and AR PL KaitiM Big5 (bkaii00mp.ttf)
I've also removed my SD card so as not to confuse matters.

When I run FOS I can see it in the bottom right corner of my Today screen but none of my applications have the two extra fonts visible.

I've tried resetting, putting the fonts into a directory called "Fonts" on the storage card and verified that when the fonts are present in Windows/Fonts they work fine.

I think the main problem is that I don't know how this program is supposed to work, as I can't read the Japanese documentation :(

Has anybody else had any success?

/\dam

MikeInDallas
04-26-2004, 08:48 AM
I just found this nice Japaneese utility myself not long ago. You should check out his replacement file dialog utility too, that hooks the MS common "Open" with something that actually lets you see the files on your system. Imagine that! ;)

Anyway, FOS works on my ipaq 2210. As I understood it, it would work in any directory as long as the EXE was in that directory with the fonts. However, I don't see how that's possible since WinCE does not have the concept of "current" or "working" directory. Paths have to be given explicitly. Weird! As such, he couldn't just open files "in the current directory" because there's no way to know what that is.

So, I created a \SD Card\Fonts directory, put the EXE in that, and ran it, and by golly, it worked! Note that I had some strange things happen a few times (deleted fonts in \Windows and they were deleted in \SD Card\Fonts...probably exactly what it's supposed to do, but I didn't realize it since there's no English documentation), and sometimes it doesn't seem to "grab" the OS, so I have to close it, then run it again.

Keep plugging away. One good way to test is to use the PHM Fonts utility, which is a control panel cpl in \windows (part of PHM Power Toys). With your fonts on \<whatever file store name>\Fonts, and nothing in \Windows\Fonts, run the PHM fonts utility and if you're running, you should see all the fonts you have added.

Hope that helps.

Mike Welch
Dallas Area