View Full Version : Playing Audio on Your PPC From Your Desktop

Jason Dunn
07-08-2002, 12:18 AM
<a href="http://www.davespda.com/features/encoder.htm">http://www.davespda.com/features/encoder.htm</a><br /><br />Dave from DavesPDA.com has whipped up a very innovative way of streaming audio to a Pocket PC. I have to admit that despite my love for all things digital media, the concept that Dave outlined completely eluded me. Very "out of the box" thinking, and this article is a great read. Check it out!<br /><br />"Pocket PC’s, wireless, and Windows Media Technology are a killer combination. Together, the three give you the ability to stream your music from your desktop computer to anywhere else where you might need audio. Imagine the possibilities. You can stream music to your home stereo and quit fussing with burning your digital music collection to custom CD’s. You can create a virtual Walkman, only with an almost unlimited music supply. Or you could even stream your music outside your house for a street party and not have to worry about moving your computer or burning custom CD’s. The best part about this combination, there is no software to buy. Microsoft generously provides you with all the tools for free, though, some assembly required."

TBone
07-08-2002, 03:09 AM
I guess you could do it this way, but it would probably be easier the way I do it: use the XAPlayer software and a Microsoft Networking share. That way I don't have to mess around with the encoding hassle, and I can use all the .mp3 files I own, instead of converting them to .wma. Works great, and it's fantastic being able to listen to my music on the front porch, or wherever.

mookie123
07-08-2002, 03:37 AM
Wait until RIAA get a hold of this scheme and charging user for unlicensed use of Radio music transmission.

..... so anybody wanna bet how long till RIAA start suing?

I'll give it about 6 months, when PDA and wireless equiped desktop will be prevalent.

Dave Conger
07-08-2002, 05:13 AM
XAPlayer software...

Hadn't heard of that, who makes it?

instead of converting them to .wma

You don't have to convert anything with the solution I outlined. You can use any audio files including (but not limited to) MP3's, WMA's, WAV's, or regular audio CD's. Encoder just encodes what is playing, not each file.

Tierran
07-08-2002, 05:29 AM
What about video? Could you stream it the same way? Because if so that would just rock :)

TBone
07-08-2002, 01:18 PM
XAPlayer hasn't been updated for a long, long time, but it'll load .mp3 files from a network share and play them pretty well. It's also sometimes titled just Network MP3 Player, depending on where you get it. I think I have to search on google every time to find it--not a very formalized project, but it works.

Sorry about the .wma slip. I read the part about loading Encoder and my eyes glazed over--my monPaq doesn't come with Media Player loaded, so I skip anything like that. Plus I'm lazy. (grin)

Ah, here we go: http://www.geocities.com/scansolutions/. Just in case you wanna try it out. There was an improved version posted at one point, but it actually worked less effectively.

pdatoon
07-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Hi guys,

I have tried the streaming MP3, but with a software called PocketLAN.
http://www.pdafrance.com/articles/article.php?cat=dossierpocketpc&id=162 (sorry in french)

It works pretty good. I can actually play mp3 shared on my network.

JonnoB
07-08-2002, 04:29 PM
I use a solution similar to IRemote called WebAmp... a web server based plug-in for WinAmp. WebAmp allows you to change the html layout that is served and I 'Pocket-ized' it for correct display on my PocketPC. Looks and works great! My computer is tied into my stero which is set up for multiple room/zone audio output. Basically, I use my PocketPC as a wireless (WiFi) remote :-) around the house, garage, yard, etc

pdatoon
07-08-2002, 04:41 PM
sounds cool :)
Any URL?

gwinter
07-08-2002, 05:21 PM
What about video? Could you stream it the same way? Because if so that would just rock :)

I did this before and it works as expected. With a TV tuner card in the PC, the Windows Media Encoder encodes the video and I was able watch TV on my PPC.

I'm sure there are others who have tried this before.

JonnoB
07-08-2002, 06:22 PM
sounds cool :)
Any URL?

Check it out here.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/reviews.jhtml;$sessionid$023AQSRBV3BCFTN241HBCYY?rOT=C&rOI=24427

There are other WinAmp plugins too. I use WebAmp with modified html, but this one looks cool too. It even has a PocketPC sized html output.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml;$sessionid$023AQSRBV3BCFTN241HBCYY?componentId=92511

Dave Conger
07-08-2002, 07:08 PM
I use a solution similar to IRemote called WebAmp...

I actually talk a little about using IRemote with this solution at the end of the tutorial. The address for the software is mcmajeres.com. Unlike a lot of other WinAMP solutions/plug-ins that I have used in the past, this one is by far the most stable.

The problem is, if you don't have a large stereo system plugged into your computer, then this only allows you to control what is played somewhere else. For my situation, I needed to move the audio as well as the controls, to the two together work well.

Dave Conger
07-08-2002, 07:10 PM

When you get to the Device Options step in the Encoder wizard, just check the video box and select your video source. Then in the Profile Selection you just choose a profile that is for video instead of audio. Stream away.

crispeto
07-08-2002, 07:11 PM
I say kudos to Dave. I just tried his format step by step and sure enough, it works great. I've never had streaming explained to me in such a thorough way before. Thanks Dave!

CoreyJF
07-20-2002, 01:09 AM
It also works with Spinner ( internet radio program owned by AOL/TW Launch Sinner and run WME and listen to online radio from anywhere on your WLAN.
Snapstream PVR proram you can stream Telivison with your TV tunner. If you start recodring a show at a Bitrate the PPC can handle you, since the program uses WME to record tv just launch your your player url to HTTP://(YOURSERVER):8080 and watch TV on your PPC

Dave Conger
07-20-2002, 02:18 AM
It also works with Spinner ( internet radio program owned by AOL/TW Launch Sinner and run WME and listen to online radio from anywhere on your WLAN.

That you can. Very cool for those streams that you can't get on your PPC. You can even do it with analog products like your tape player (who still uses tapes?) if you run it through your line in and then choose that as the source in WME

Snapstream PVR proram you can stream Telivison with your TV tunner. If you start recodring a show at a Bitrate the PPC can handle you, since the program uses WME to record tv just launch your your player url to HTTP://(YOURSERVER):8080 and watch TV on your PPC

You actually don't even need Snapstream. You can use WME to encode directly from many TV tuner cards. The only problem is you can't change the channel.....any developers out there want to make an app that can tell the desktop to change channels?

JonnoB
07-20-2002, 02:32 AM
any developers out there want to make an app that can tell the desktop to change channels?

I know one, snapstream.

Dave Conger
07-20-2002, 07:33 AM
I know one, snapstream.

Ok, maybe you didn't notice, but my solution is kind of this whole free deal. Like you already are given the tools to do this. So I was thinking a little app that would send a signal to the desktop sending the stream that would then emulate a keypress (which in most cases changes the channel).

JonnoB
07-20-2002, 08:23 AM
I know one, snapstream.

Ok, maybe you didn't notice, but my solution is kind of this whole free deal. Like you already are given the tools to do this. So I was thinking a little app that would send a signal to the desktop sending the stream that would then emulate a keypress (which in most cases changes the channel).

Was actually a joke... since someone already mentioned the product in this thread. I agree however that there should be some sort of control application. You would however have to switch between apps to properly implement.

Dave Conger
07-20-2002, 10:08 PM
...You would however have to switch between apps to properly implement.

Yes, and it would take about 20 seconds to change the channel because Encoder takes a little while to encode, fill the buffer, and then send.

PPCRules
03-14-2003, 05:53 PM
any [one] out there [know of] an app that can tell the desktop to change channels?
VNC works good. The wireless link seems to keep up with transferring both the desktop image and the audio. Just place the portion of the desktop screen visible on the PPC where the needed controls are, and flip to that app when needed.