View Full Version : Just curious...How many are going to get a 3970?

Jonathan1
07-06-2002, 10:20 PM
I'm still somewhat in shock over HP pricing the 3970's at $750. I was just curious how many of you are going to actually pay that much for a iPaq. Also if you are willing to pay that much what is the Max amount you'd be willing to spend on an iPaq? $800? $850? $900 or the big $1000.

Again just curious.

Dave Conger
07-07-2002, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't get a new 3900, any model. I still have my 3640 and will probably keep using that until about the time the Toshiba e550G is released in the USA or there is a new operating system. There are features I like on the new iPAQ (like the screen), but it just isn't worth it for me to upgrade now.

Jason Dunn
07-08-2002, 12:03 AM
I think the new 3900 series iPAQs are brutally overpriced and I won't be getting one. Then again, I don't normally buy Pocket PCs either... :wink:

pdagal
07-08-2002, 02:58 AM
If I had to put my consumer hat on, I'd say it's hard to say until I see one for myself, but probably not. Were XScale really twice as faster (or even 50% faster), if it had built-in WiFi and that nice new screen, then I might be tempted.

I am getting one (should arrive in the next few days), but I have no choice if I want to be able to post a timely review on our site (it's not always easy to get a review unit the moment a new PDA is released).

Veloslave
07-08-2002, 06:18 AM
I'm on board. Price was not the subject... well it IS exspensive but as far as I can tell at this POINT IN TIME... it is the best and that is what i wanted.

You get what you pay for and I didn't want to regret not buying more of a PDA down the road.

Now if I could just get Compaq to ship the darn thing... :?

Rod

hollis_f
07-08-2002, 11:07 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't even contemplate getting another iPAQ if the new models arrived before they'd got my old 3850 fixed. It's 8th July and I still haven't seen the ROM fix that was promised to be available on June 15th. So they've failed, my order has gone in for a Loox last week. When that arrives the iPAQ gets used as a GPS system only, until I buy my new car with GPS built-in (or get a BT GPS for the Loox)

Jeff Rutledge
07-08-2002, 05:30 PM
I promised myself I wouldn't even contemplate getting another iPAQ if the new models arrived before they'd got my old 3850 fixed. It's 8th July and I still haven't seen the ROM fix that was promised to be available on June 15th. So they've failed, my order has gone in for a Loox last week. When that arrives the iPAQ gets used as a GPS system only, until I buy my new car with GPS built-in (or get a BT GPS for the Loox)

Don't count on it. From a hardware perspective, my 3870 is more buggy now than it was pre-2.20. It now switches itself off at the most inconvenient times, and I've had it crash a few times now with a problem somehow related to the sound. The unit seems to mute itself and then when I try to bring up Volume, it freezes and I have to soft-reset.

masaki
07-08-2002, 10:07 PM
I ordered a 3970 today (ETA July 13) :) Gonna exchange my 3870 for it. :D
I had a 3635 before and it runs Word, Excel and some other programs more responsive than the 3870. Hopefully 3970's X-scale processor will really speed things up :)

Jeff Rutledge
07-08-2002, 10:16 PM
I ordered a 3970 today (ETA July 13) :) Gonna exchange my 3870 for it. :D
I had a 3635 before and it runs Word, Excel and some other programs more responsive than the 3870. Hopefully 3970's X-scale processor will really speed things up :)

Hey Clarence,

How were you able to exchange your 3870 for a 3970? I'm in Calgary as well as don't know of any deal like that in CA.

Thanks.

masaki
07-08-2002, 10:19 PM
I used to work part-time at a store :) and know everybody there and they let me exchange it.

masaki
07-08-2002, 10:25 PM
I also have to pay about $200 more. I bought the 3870 about 3 weeks ago.

Jeff Rutledge
07-08-2002, 10:50 PM
I used to work part-time at a store :) and know everybody there and they let me exchange it.

Gotcha. Thought I had stumbled on to something too good to be true. :lol:

dcharles18
07-09-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm torn. If I would go for one it would be simply because of the screen (remote control feature is nice too). I have not been overly impressed with my 3800 though, so I may just bide my time and wait for offerings from some other manufacturers.

Jeff Rutledge
07-09-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm torn. If I would go for one it would be simply because of the screen (remote control feature is nice too). I have not been overly impressed with my 3800 though, so I may just bide my time and wait for offerings from some other manufacturers.

I'm with you dcharles. I think I'm going to wait a while and see what the rumoured iPAQ 5000 series is all about.

Dave Conger
07-09-2002, 07:34 PM
I have not been overly impressed with my 3800 though, so I may just bide my time and wait for offerings from some other manufacturers.

A lot of other manufatures will meet/pass the 3900's specs in the not so distant future. And plus, even if down the road the 3900 is still your choice, the price will have dropped. Already both devices prices have dropped up to $25 (online).

malott
07-09-2002, 10:23 PM
I ordered a 3970 today should be here tomorrow, I was not happy about the price but have owned several devices and my 3835 is by far the best in my opinion which my wife will get tomorrow after my new toy arrives.

Previous devices and problems include Phillips velo (to big blk/wht) / Palm V (gave to dad) / Compaq areo (5100?) the real thin one (pre-pocket pc blk/wht sold) / Casio e-105 (good device gave to sister still using) / Sony clie what ever the first model was (piece of junk sold) / visor prism (had to final admit palm os is inferior for my needs) / EM-500 (wife currently uses) / Ipaq 3635 (broke the little stylus latch) / Casio E-200 (backlight quit) / Jornada 568 (dust under screen even after two exchanges) / have not owned X-scale toshiba but reviews were not very encouraging (personal preference about styling also discouraging)

I would consider the earlier casio devices top notch but with the current devices I feel only Ipaq has it’s act together I would rather pay a higher price (if that’s my only option) to have a device I’m happy with instead of settling and regretting it latter. The additional rom was also a major factor in my decision to purchase the 3970 although I may be wrong I fell confident at least the next 1 or 2 os upgrades would fit. Also I have been fortunate not to have any problems with my 3835 at all!

Veloslave
07-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Got my 3970 today! Been playing with it for a couple of hours now... good old learning curve! This is my first PPC and I have only done palm for a few months before this.

WHAT A SCREEN! I did a LOT of shopping and can very truthfully say that this is the best screen I have seen.

Now if I could only figure out how to use it!

Rod

Jason Dunn
07-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Now if I could only figure out how to use it!

If I may make a humble suggestion: this is a book I tech edited and wrote a bit of content for (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072223332/jasonsego) and I daresay it turned out quite nicely. Worth getting for iPAQ owners!

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 01:29 AM
If I may make a humble suggestion: this is a book I tech edited and wrote a bit of content for (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072223332/jasonsego) and I daresay it turned out quite nicely. Worth getting for iPAQ owners!

Better watch out, another Pocket PC site claimed in a news story that they "received exclusive copyrights from McGraw Hill to post this on this site" and "any copying or duplication is subject to prosecution." :wink:

I just post that because I find it really funny that site thinks they have exclusive permission to post about a book.

JonnoB
07-10-2002, 04:57 AM
The device STILL must have a sleave to have more than one expansion slot. It is ok to keep the sled design, but the naked iPaq should have two expansion slots to remain competitive. To be higher priced and less functional than competitive solutions??? forget it.

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 06:17 AM
It is ok to keep the sled design, but the naked iPaq should have two expansion slots to remain competitive.

Two expansions on the device tends to increase the devices size. The goal of the iPAQ 3000 was to provide a small device that then could be expanded as needed. You don't need two expansions to be competitive, do you not agree that the e310 is a competitive device in the current market?

JonnoB
07-10-2002, 07:40 AM
Two expansions on the device tends to increase the devices size. The goal of the iPAQ 3000 was to provide a small device that then could be expanded as needed. You don't need two expansions to be competitive, do you not agree that the e310 is a competitive device in the current market?

huh? There are already smaller devices than the iPaq that have better expansion options without a sled. The e310 you mention is a perfect example of integrated multiple slots and small. With a 740 at $150 less, I get both CF and SD slots plus integrated BT or WiFi at a form factor that is very sleek. The new iPaq is no better than the current crop. They are losing ground fast.

masaki
07-10-2002, 05:17 PM
The e310 you mention is a perfect example of integrated multiple slots and small.

I thought the e310 only has an integrated SD slot??

JonnoB
07-10-2002, 05:58 PM
I thought the e310 only has an integrated SD slot??

You are right, you said 310 and I was thinking of the 570, 550, and 740 all of which have dual slot expansion. The 740 is much less than the iPaq, same integrated Bluetooth (or WiFi) and dual expansion slots, replaceable battery, XScale CPU, (basically same and more features) and all without a sled.

Why pay $150 more for an iPaq with fewer hardware features. The 2002 OS has made most product differentiators to be only in the hardware expansion options and I find the new iPaqs lacking.

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 07:27 PM
The 740 is much less than the iPaq

True...

same integrated Bluetooth (or WiFi)

Mmmm, you can't say they are the same integrated Bluetooth OR WiFI...that makes them actually different. If I need Bluetooth onboard, I can't buy a e740 right?

I think you also forgot the transreflective screen as well as the integrated universal remote solution. The major different between the 3970 and the e740 is really transreflective vs. a CF slot right? Same size products, but one you get another expansion on the device, and the other you get transreflective...oh and that sled thing.

JonnoB
07-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Mmmm, you can't say they are the same integrated Bluetooth OR WiFI...that makes them actually different. If I need Bluetooth onboard, I can't buy a e740 right?

No, the 740 has a choice of either integrated WiFi or integrated Bluetooth. If you choose one or the other, you can always add the other in the form of a SD or CF card (choice of either slot unlike iPaq).

I think you also forgot the transreflective screen as well as the integrated universal remote solution. The major different between the 3970 and the e740 is really transreflective vs. a CF slot right? Same size products, but one you get another expansion on the device, and the other you get transreflective...oh and that sled thing.

The universal remote solution -is- cool, but I have found that with my HP568 and the PDAWin TVRemote, that range and quality is awesome. In fact, unlike the software in the iPaq, the PDAWin software allows you to use tens of thousands of skins and configurations designed for the Pronto Remote... considered one of the best in top-end remotes.

Of course, the 740 also has a small (not a huge sled) adaptor with integrated USB and VGA display output.

After all of this, I probably won't get the 740... I am considering a Loox or Toshiba 550G more at this point. All of the other choices so far still seem better than the iPaq.... especially at $150 more for overall less features.

masaki
07-18-2002, 05:11 AM
My 3970 finally came today. So far I'm very happy I returned the 3870 and got this one :D. Although there isn't much difference between the two models, I'm glad I got this one. The screen is COOL!! Bright sharp, and clear and.... viewable at any angles. So far, I haven't experienced any lag in launching programs as I did on the 3870 (this really annoyed me, especially when I'm taking notes in class). I'll test it out tomorrow in class, see how it does comparing to the 3870.

The universal remote feature (Nevo) works on everything (all Sony's) we have through out the house. The range is very good. I tried as far as 6 meters away.

Here's something didn't happen on the 3870. I have a Garmin Vista GPS and use a cable I bought from GeorgeCo Cables (http://www.georgecomm.com/georgeco.html) to connect it to my iPAQ. Whenever I go to Configure GPS in Pocket Street 2002, the Bluetooth LED will start to blink very fast. The GPS works fine but the only way to stop the blue LED from blinking is to either do a soft-reset or turn Bluetooth on and then off. Simply enabling GPS tracking in PS2002 doesn't cause the LED to blink though which is good.

Connecting to my cell phone, T68i, using Bluetooth is a bit frustrating. I used mPhone to backup/edit the phonebook. As soon as I start Bluetooth and refresh the T68i in Bluetooth Manager, mPhone can find the phone. But, if I exit mPhone and start it again, it couldn't find the phone. I have to soft-reset to get it working again. Any idea???

Windows Media Player plays MP3s on the 1GB Microdrive without skipping. WMP is build 0103.

Grey
07-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Here's something didn't happen on the 3870. I have a Garmin Vista GPS and use a cable I bought from GeorgeCo Cables (http://www.georgecomm.com/georgeco.html) to connect it to my iPAQ. Whenever I go to Configure GPS in Pocket Street 2002, the Bluetooth LED will start to blink very fast. The GPS works fine but the only way to stop the blue LED from blinking is to either do a soft-reset or turn Bluetooth on and then off. Simply enabling GPS tracking in PS2002 doesn't cause the LED to blink though which is good.

Connecting to my cell phone, T68i, using Bluetooth is a bit frustrating. I used mPhone to backup/edit the phonebook. As soon as I start Bluetooth and refresh the T68i in Bluetooth Manager, mPhone can find the phone. But, if I exit mPhone and start it again, it couldn't find the phone. I have to soft-reset to get it working again. Any idea???

Windows Media Player plays MP3s on the 1GB Microdrive without skipping. WMP is build 0103.

OK trying to follow you here, I wonder if you could try a simple test, Start PS2002, and try configuring the GPS, with out it connected. Sounds as if the PS2002 is searching for com ports, hits the Bluetooth port, and that's causing the light to blink.

Then try using iTask to stop/shutdown PS2002.

Is HpCompaq still limiting the Bluetooth speed to 115200?

Thanks

masaki
07-23-2002, 07:23 PM
OK trying to follow you here, I wonder if you could try a simple test, Start PS2002, and try configuring the GPS, with out it connected. Sounds as if the PS2002 is searching for com ports, hits the Bluetooth port, and that's causing the light to blink.

Then try using iTask to stop/shutdown PS2002.

Is HpCompaq still limiting the Bluetooth speed to 115200?

I tried using iTask to kill PS2002 and the Blue LED still didn't stop blinking unless I turn radio on and off or soft-reset. The same thing happens when I use GPSInfo. It's not a big deal, and the blue LED is pretty cool :) From my observation, I think whenever a program searches through the com ports will activate the blue LED on the 3970.

I'm not sure about the Bluetooth speed, anyway I can find out? I only use Bluetooth to sync the T68i's phonebook and exchange PIM stuff.

malott
07-25-2002, 01:09 AM
I posted earlier that I had been fortunate enough not to have any problems with my 3835 isn’t crow good! I received my 3970 defective called Compaq and had a new one in five days which seemed like forever but not bad for the standard warranty. Since I have had it there has only been one problem some programs will not run correctly when installed in File store other than that I am completely thrilled with the device and feel it is the best investment I have made in a pda to date I also purchased a Motorola 270c with the Bluetooth module and the two work flawlessly together! All I need now is a 1 gig (or 2 or 5 gig if I really want to dream) SD and I would have a nearly perfect pda for my needs!