View Full Version : A Few e740 Questions

mashtim
07-04-2002, 04:44 AM
Ok, I just have a couple of questions:
1) I read somewhere that you can use iPAQ power adapters on the Toshiba e740. At least, I think I did. Can anyone confirm this?
2) What is the final consensus? Is the ATI video chip on the ppc or on the expansion slot?
3) Are there any other PPCs that are scheduled to come out with WiFi installed ?

Peter Parnes
07-04-2002, 12:08 PM
> 1
Yes!

> 2
Don't understand this one????

> 3
There was some Taiwan/Korea company that announced a StrongARM based
PDA with built in wavelan about 1 year ago but it seems like it never reached the global market (can't remember the name of the company right now)

I have been using the e740 for two weeks now and it is definitively my PDA favorite.
Mini review can be found on: http://www.cdt.luth.se/~peppar/weartech/radiosphere-archive/0413.html

Dave Conger
07-04-2002, 07:48 PM
2) What is the final consensus? Is the ATI video chip on the ppc or on the expansion slot?

What do you mean? The ATI Imageon chip is the graphics processor for the Pocket PC. It isn't something you can just add into any device. Maybe this helps....
http://www.ati.com/designpartners/media/images/systemblock.jpg

mashtim
07-07-2002, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm thiiiiis close to running out and buying one of these puppies.

A couple more question, though: How is the range of the WiFi? Is it comparable to the D-Link CF card (which I am currently using)? Has anyone heard about any specifics for expansion possibilities (i.e. PC card sled)?

After using an iPAQ forever, having both slots and WiFi built-in without adding bulk or dongles is pretty much too alluring to pass up. The fact that I can leave my iPAQ's charger at the office instead of buying yet another adapter is a definite plus. If I need Bluetooth eventually, I can use the CF card without changing the form factor. It'll also mean one less cable for me to carry when I travel, as my laptop has WiFi built-in.

Is there anyone out there who wants to dissuade me from buying one of these?

mashtim
07-07-2002, 06:11 AM
sorry, I forgot to answer the question that I originally started that post for: I was confused about VGA being only on the expansion pack or on the actual unit itself, not where the chip was.

Peter Parnes
07-07-2002, 09:20 AM
The VGA connector is on the expansion pack that you connect underneath the device itself. The expansionpack also gives you a USB connector.

The wavelan has noticably shorter range that say a Lucent PCMCIA card, unfortunately. This is (my gyuess) due to the built antenna being to built in (too small and to covered). :-(

BUT it is still a nice device.

pdagal
07-08-2002, 03:14 AM
WiFi range is about 1/2 of the D-Link card which has excellent range thanks to the antenna under that big honking cap. The Toshiba is still very usable in a 2 story small house (including some reach into the back yard).