View Full Version : Jornada 928 up on eBay

Jason Dunn
07-02-2002, 10:21 PM
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2035896548">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2035896548</a><br /><br />Well, it was bound to happen - the Jornada 928, rumoured to have a limited European release (eventually) but not a North American one, has managed to wiggle its way up onto eBay. From what I can tell the seller is completely clueless - he has information about CD-ROM speeds in the introduction. Based on what I know of the product, it's dual-band, not tri-band, so it will only work in Europe or countries that use the Euro GSM band - which doesn't include the US or Canada. Still, if you're eager to own a rare piece of technology, this is a great opportunity. Source: Fernando Miralles

orinoco
07-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Hey folks:

Just to complement Jason's post, let me add the bit of info the seller on ebay sent me on inquiring for the J928.

"Dear Customer,

We have a range of Electronics and Computers perhiperals to suit every organization's or person needs and budget. All our Computers/Laptops - Electronics, are custom made to order, therefore, you may pick and
choose
only those items which will provide you with the best system to suit
your
requirements.

Our company offer u Shippment assured - INTERNATIONALY/INSIDE COUNTRY
shipped. - USUALLY NO FEE.

The unit will came with 3 years warranty and all original documents.

USUALLY SHIPS - 24/48 hours
CONDITION - NEW

- SHIPPING -

Service : UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE

Fees : $129 - UPS Express
$89 - UPS 2 Days Air
$79 - UPS 3 Days Air

--

Please, let us remind you that we have promotional & negotiable prices
!!!

We have 10 units availeble for sale.

We have an asking price for...620USD+Western Union transfere fee for 1 unit.

If you will buy more then 1 you will benefy 10% discount.

Our agents - are looking forward to recive funds using
WESTERN UNION or Moneygram service. Easy and safe.

- PAYMENT - MONEY ORDER,because the money should be sent in
Europe at the company.

All we need is u'r full name and address where the unit will be
shipped.

We will send our contact/agent's billing address as soon
as we will recive your REPLY.

Don't hesitate to get back immediatly.

--

We are looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards"

You know, I cannot get over the fact that these are not/will not be available here in the US. Oh, how much of my envy today is directed at europeans and south americans !!!! And not only because they "took" the world cup...

Fernando

GregWard
07-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. It's all very well saying it WILL be available in Europe but I ain't seen hide nor hair of it! Certainly Expansys are showing it as "pre-release/no price" which, typically, means they neither have any or know when they might get them. So where did the eBay ones come from? Anybody in Europe seen them for sale yet?

farnold
07-03-2002, 12:53 AM
That's a bit confusing for me. I think, I read somewhere they have been developed by HP teams in Singapore and Australia. How did they make their way to a shop in Canada? Especially while the phone module won't work in the North American area...

There is a story about the 928 today ay infoSync page http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2000.html, but more from a FONIX perspective than from HP... still, it talks about a release this summer (winter from my perspective though 8) )

As much as I like the concept... I wouldn't feel comfortable to spend money on it. If it should really not show up as an official device I might end up having something with a complete different hardware concept and processor configuartion (software compatibility???) that is not supported by anybody at all. And don't we read enough about the non-optimasation of XScale?

Maybe some developers took the ones they made with them when HP send them home and they want to make some money...

heov
07-03-2002, 01:36 AM
I curious to see how the 133 mhz Omap TI processor does on benchmarks!

jdhill
07-03-2002, 02:06 AM
This has SCAM written all over it !!!

The seller is newly registered (June 30th) and has NO feedback

Did you see the shipping charges ?!?!?!

The product was never released !!!

If you bid on this you are just asking to lose your money !!!

MPSmith
07-03-2002, 04:08 AM
I have to agree. Be careful bidding on this item. I never bid on anything with less than 10 postive feedbacks or so.

Sparky
07-03-2002, 02:42 PM
You know, from orinoco's earlier post, it sounds like this is a company putting these units up. Don't most companies have the ability to take a payment by way of Mastercard or Visa - you know, from a credit card company that can protect your purchase?

Why would a company need payment by way of a money order? Sounds verrrrrry fishy.

I wouldn't touch this with someone else's ten foot pole.

palmsolo
07-03-2002, 03:12 PM
I would not recommend anyone actually purchase these from this seller. There is no feedback rating on this person and the post above says they are asking for Western Union funds, which are not insured or anything. I was burned a couple years ago for over $300 because like an idiot I sent someone payment using Western Union. Western Union will not give you back your money for fraud and your credit card company probably won't either because it was through Western Union. I highly doubt this is legitimate!

There are spelling errors all over the place, which isn't very professional for a business and their shipping outside Canada is very high.

Paragon
07-03-2002, 05:12 PM
I emailed them lastnight and asked what their company name was, and where they got the units from.

Here is their reply:

"Sir,

We are COM Cernisoara from Italy and we are in asociation with HP.
Please advice us how many units you want to buy and what is you'r best offer.

Kind regards,"

From Italy ? This response brings to mind even more questions??? It looks as though they are having problems finding 10 suckers, since they are looking for offers.

Dave

jdhill
07-03-2002, 05:48 PM
They are getting bids. I tried to find a way to report the listing as possibly fraudulant to eBay and couldn't find out how that is done.

This one really stinks !!!

If you bid on this, run (don't walk) over to eBay and cancel your bid ASAP !!!

Shaun Stuart
07-03-2002, 08:27 PM
I was one of the first to bid on this product but wrote to the seller and asked

"There may be some irregularities in the specification you have listed for this product - the HP928 pictured is I believe a strongarm device with a 206 processor not 133 as stated. Can you please confirm that this is a
legitimate product and that it is new, still boxed with all software,
documentation etc.

Their response was less than clear - I am happy that I have now been outbid. :!:

We have a range of Electronics and Computers perhiperals to suit every organization's or person needs and budget. All our Computers/Laptops - Electronics, are custom made to order, therefore, you may pick and
choose
only those items which will provide you with the best system to suit
your
requirements.

Our company offer u Shippment assured - INTERNATIONALY/INSIDE COUNTRY
shipped. - USUALLY NO FEE.

The unit will came with 3 years warranty and all original documents.

USUALLY SHIPS - 24/48 hours
CONDITION - NEW

- SHIPPING -

Service : UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE

Fees : $129 - UPS Express
$89 - UPS 2 Days Air
$79 - UPS 3 Days Air

--

Please, let us remind you that we have promotional & negotiable prices
!!!

We have 10 units availeble for sale.

We have an asking price for...620USD+Western Union transfere fee for 1 unit.

If you will buy more then 1 you will benefy 10% discount.

Our agents - are looking forward to recive funds using
WESTERN UNION or Moneygram service. Easy and safe.

- PAYMENT - MONEY ORDER,because the money should be sent in
Europe at the company.

All we need is u'r full name and address where the unit will be
shipped.

We will send our contact/agent's billing address as soon
as we will recive your REPLY.

Don't hesitate to get back immediatly.

--

We are looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

orinoco
07-03-2002, 09:45 PM
So folks:

Feeling responsible for having "discovered" this auction on ebay, I tested the waters even further: I asked the seller whether COD with Fedex was an acceptable option to him, after having exchanged emails back and forth and even having agreed on a price !!! Guess what: haven't heard back from him/her at all.

I am curious to see whether this is indeed a scam as it seems.

Fernando

PCPhreak
07-04-2002, 03:24 AM
I read this article earlier today, and just noticed something over at CNET Hardware.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handphones/0,39001715,10000355p,00.htm?

Notice anything familiar? Look near the bottom.

dshirley
07-04-2002, 01:14 PM
This one looks really dodgy - the picture looks like the old prototypes shown last year, which is one reason for worry. The other reason for worry is that there are none of these available yet... In Italy or anywhere else in Europe. Don't do it...

I alerted the HP Product Manager for the 928. Don't know what they can do, though...

Dave Conger
07-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Looks like somone "won" it. I feel sorry for them if they actually send the $690...they aren't going to get it back.