View Full Version : eWeek calls the Toshiba e740 the Pocket PC Sweet Spot

Ed Hansberry
07-02-2002, 03:30 PM
<a href="http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,331837,00.asp">http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,331837,00.asp</a><br /><br />X-Scale issues aside, the e740 is a very nice device. Some consider it the best Pocket PC available. "Although the e740's new chip and built-in wireless functionality certainly caught our attention, we were just as impressed with the device's dual expansion slots, removable battery and overall excellent design, prompting us to give the e740 an Analyst's Choice award. The e740 runs Microsoft Corp.'s Pocket PC 2002 mobile operating system, which includes applications for Terminal Services, MSN instant messaging, and secure communications via VPN. The device, which began shipping last month, is uniquely well positioned to take advantage of these networking functions, thanks to its integrated—and well-implemented—support for 802.11b."

kaiden.1
07-02-2002, 04:05 PM
Well I have to agree. I love my Toshiba E-740. It performs perfectly. I have been waiting to see if something would come up that I wouldn't like, but NOPE; I use it for sales calls and am always amazed what things I can do with it. And I still have as of yet needed to buy any add-ons, just my SD card. (no sleeves needed for me) I am able to do eveything that I want to without a hitch. THANK YOU TOSHIBA; for putting out an awesome product. :D

GET one today, you will not be dissappointed!

Tom Eichers
07-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Nice review, looks like a nice product. But with the X-scale issues I don't see spending another 500+ for a very marginal speed gain. Need to wait to see if Microsoft or Intel can fix the problem.

I will stick with my iPaq 3835 and 3630 for now.

JonnoB
07-02-2002, 04:51 PM
I like Toshiba devices.... I am just waiting on the 550G. The 4" screen looks so nice in pictures, I don't think I could settle for anything less now.

donkthemagicllama
07-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Does the 550G have built-in WiFi? I don't remember...

It did have built-in CF-II and SD, right?

benetone
07-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi guys,

Now that the review are in for both e740 and ipaq 3970 (review just came in at pocketpcpassion), I'm really torn on what to get.

Before anyone says I should decide between bluetooth and wifi, I need bluetooth so I'm deciding between e740 bluetooth model and 3970, so this is not an issue.

I really, really am impressed with the 3970 screen, but I would also kill for an on board CF without the expansion sleeve.

Money is no object on this (but please don't say get both!). I would appreciate any recommendation. Thanks a lot.

ctitanic
07-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Does the 550G have built-in WiFi? I don't remember...

It did have built-in CF-II and SD, right?

No WiFi either BT, no replaceable battery.

About e740 is a good PPC for IT. advanced users who need wireless or persons with a little idea about networking. No for users who think they are getting a new kind of cellphone ;)

And defenitly, it has some software issues that should be resolved by Toshiba, I hope soon.

JonnoB
07-02-2002, 06:11 PM
I have no need for BT, but integrated WiFi would save me a CF slot. The 550G 4" screen however may be just too much for me to pass over. :-)

palmsolo
07-02-2002, 06:20 PM
JonnoB,

Is the resolution higher on the 4" screen? I actually prefer the smaller Jornada screen over the iPaq's larger screen because I think it looks better to me, especially since I read ebooks and sites on it about 2 hours a day while I commute on the bus. I compared them side by side and like the smaller screen size.

Jason Dunn
07-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Is the resolution higher on the 4" screen?

No, it's the same 320 x 240 resolution, so ultimately the 4" screen will have a lower PPI than the smaller Jornada screen.

JonnoB
07-02-2002, 06:39 PM
No, it's the same 320 x 240 resolution, so ultimately the 4" screen will have a lower PPI than the smaller Jornada screen.

That is the one bummer about it. Still, I prefer having all screen than the plastic bezel around the device. I believe that whatever the size of the PDA, it should be mostly screen. If 3.5" is the preferred size, the device should be only slightly wider than the screen itself. I think the Toshiba 550G design shows others how they should do it. The 310 and 740, although nice, are just like the others with these huge ugly plastic borders... yuck.

[Cruzer]
07-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I just got my e740 and loving it. Having the wifi builtin reduces the size and having the replaceable battery is another bonus. Just have to wait for toshiba to get them in stock. The only bad thing about it is the gaming.
Audiovox/e570 was a very good box for gaming. I wonder if they will come out with an 8way fix for the e740 as well. Then I can have everything I wanted in a PDA. Well just my thoughts.

JonnoB
07-02-2002, 06:58 PM
]The only bad thing about it is the gaming.

The pad does not work for gaming? With all the fuss with early iPaq models, did Toshiba not take notice?

Duncan
07-03-2002, 03:58 AM
Benetone,

I may be biased on this BUT f you are going for Bluetooth then the Pocket Loox is by far the best model! The iPAQ is absurdly expensive and the e740 BT edition will only support a very limited set of BT profiles. The Loox has SD and CF slots, modular capabilities and the widest range of supported BT profiles by far! - Oh and it also has an excellent screen!

angelseye2000
07-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Who is using what?

HP/Compaq Ipaq PPC uses Widcomm Bluetooth Software
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=543

Fujistu PPC uses Rappore Bluetooth Software
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=730

Palm uses Extended Systems Inc. Bluetooth Software
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=455

Toshiba PPC uses there own Bluetooth Software
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=723

[Cruzer]
07-03-2002, 05:56 PM
]The only bad thing about it is the gaming.

The pad does not work for gaming? With all the fuss with early iPaq models, did Toshiba not take notice?

Nope not at all, I like to play metallion and you have to use the stylus
to play the game correctly. You can move the pad and press a button
but you can only go in one direction at a time. Meaning that if you want
to go up and right press up, let go of pad, then press right. Where in
the audiovox press up then roll thumb over to the right. Its not a smooth
transition on the e740. But you can still play the game.

RC

JonnoB
07-03-2002, 07:54 PM
]
Nope not at all, I like to play metallion and you have to use the stylus
to play the game correctly. You can move the pad and press a button
but you can only go in one direction at a time. Meaning that if you want
to go up and right press up, let go of pad, then press right. Where in
the audiovox press up then roll thumb over to the right. Its not a smooth
transition on the e740. But you can still play the game.

RC

Well, that just put the nail in the coffin for me. What were they thinking? Maybe it can be fixed in a firmware update.

Newsboy
07-04-2002, 08:10 AM
Dang. And I just got my Audiovox two mos. ago for $209. Oh well, looks like come September (and my return to campus for a master's), I'll be getting the e740. I really need WiFi capability (which is why I bought the Maestro, for the CF slot), and having it built-in is great!

Plus the ability to connect a USB keyboard and monitor to it gives it an edge over my Maestro.

On the topic of upgrading...if you can bear to part with your old devices, DO! I just gave a friend I had just met the EM-500 I bought days before I got the Maestro, so it was unused, still in the box. She has fallen in love with it, and will never ever go back to a Palm device again. She now has her 'entire life' as she says, on her PPC. :lol:

Trench warfare, gotta love it. DIE PALM DIE!

Jason Dunn
07-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Plus the ability to connect a USB keyboard and monitor to it gives it an edge over my Maestro.

Have you seen Pocket PC drivers yet? You can't just plug it in and expect it to work, unfortunately. I wouldn't buy the e740 assuming that you can hook it up to a keyboard. The external monitor should be a snap with the VGA add-on.