View Full Version : Networking 2 locations 5 miles apart

seanturner
06-30-2002, 08:05 AM
This isn't exactly PocketPC related, but, here goes:

I'm doing some work for a couple of schools in Peru, and would like to get internet access to them, but, all they ahve there is dial up speed cable, dial up, and extremely expensive ISDN. We do have one other option, i university has agreed to share its T1 line, however, its 5 miles away from both of the schools. We were thinking of trying to bridge them using the Cisco 802.11b Wireless Bridge solution, however, that could be hard to to maintain becuse I'm only there for a couple weeks a year. Do you guys know of any other ways to network the 2 schools? Or have any of you tried the Cisco wireless solution? Do you of any other providers of this kind of this kind of wireless solution?

Similarly related, do you know of any satalite ISP's for that area?

Thanks

foldedspace
06-30-2002, 05:48 PM
We have a few long distance wireless connections in our school district. When I say long distance, I mean several hundred feet...not miles. We use SMC for most of our applications. They have a few solutions you might be interested in...if you use penetrators (antennas) in conjuction with wireless bridges, you should be able to get across that 5 mile gap. Also, you might consider satellite subscriptions offered by some of the dish providers. SMC supports different price structures for education...you might get a deal if you buy all the equipment at the same time and go through their education sales...and you get up to 9 miles of connectivity.

seanturner
07-01-2002, 12:59 AM
Hmmn... Thanks. You don't happen to know of any satalite internet access providers that service Peru do you?

willkess71
07-28-2002, 01:55 AM
I have heard with the correct antenna and a Linksys WAP11 you can get up to 10 miles between points. This site \may help you in setting it up. Theoretically once it is running you won't have to do anymore. I have seen it work up to 3/4 of a mile but I am sure that it can work even farther. Good Luck!http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/

Gremmie
08-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Orinoco, orinocowireless.com, have some high end routers with an antenna option. You would probably want a 24dBi antenna on both ends, try to make sure no other 2.4GHz devices are in the way, because WiFi is polite and when it runs across another frequency it will not send the header packets. You could use Proxim's equipment, it has very good options, I would recommend Orinoco. Their is always the Tsunami option from Proxim, which is a proprietary wireless signal. It actually classifies under 802.16a, once its finalized. You can easily convert the signal by putting the Tsunami antenna's through a computer and back down to a WiFi router.

MikPAQ
08-23-2002, 02:50 AM
you might want to take a look at this site, very interesting what you can do for just a few bucks.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Good Luck!!!