View Full Version : Jornada 568 AC Adapter "buzzing"

jkovacs
06-27-2002, 05:59 PM
I just bought an HP 568 and the AC adapter is "buzzing" really loud. That didn't seem right so I took it back and got a replacement AC adapter this one is buzzing too--not quite as loud, but still definitely buzzing. What's up with this? Anyone else have this experience? Is this just the way HP AC adapters are? Its really annoying.

Other than that I'm VERY please with my 568 and after trying almost every PPC out there today, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Thanks ...Joe

Jason Dunn
06-27-2002, 07:53 PM
This is a known issue, and the volume will depend on the power source you have it plugged into. An electrical engineer could explain this better, but it's related to the conversion of power. Try plugging it into a good-quality power bar - I noticed the buzzing is barely audible when plugged into my power bar, but when travelling and plugging it into the wall it was almost shrieking! 8O

jkovacs
06-28-2002, 02:53 PM
Actually, I tried it plugged into a power strip at work and plugged into an APC UPS at home with the same results. I called HP Support and they acted like they'd never heard of such a problem. They said that I just got two defective adapters and I could get them replaced. ...Joe K.

Jason Dunn
06-28-2002, 06:23 PM
Actually, I tried it plugged into a power strip at work and plugged into an APC UPS at home with the same results. I called HP Support and they acted like they'd never heard of such a problem. They said that I just got two defective adapters and I could get them replaced. ...Joe K.

How odd...I can't believe that they've "never heard of it" - this is a well known issue for all Jornada owners, it just varies in volume. Sheesh - you can't trust anyone these days. :wink:

Tierran
07-05-2002, 07:30 AM
Compared to the noise from all the othe electronics in my room I never hear the plug anyway ;)

ppcsurfr
07-05-2002, 12:34 PM
My old Jornada power supply didn't buzz... the one that came with the 568 does...

snayar
09-04-2002, 06:07 PM
I have two Jornadas 568 and one came with a very small but noisy AC/DC Adapter the other came with a twice as big AC/DC adapter but this one is runing very silent.

Weird :?

jkovacs
09-06-2002, 04:43 PM
Interesting. The picture on the box is of a bigger adapter, but the product doesn't match the picture. That doesn't mean much but I wonder if there are two designs? Oh well.

...Joe K.

fyiguy
10-09-2002, 01:31 AM
You should call HP Technical Support and they will send out a new one with a return shipping label and RMA#. I got mine in about 2 days from the call.

I actually had 2 that did this. It is all good now...

HP Tech Support
(800) 633-3600

:D