View Full Version : Bitstream ThunderHawk hits 1.02

Jason Dunn
06-26-2002, 05:27 PM
<a href="http://www.bitstream.com/categories/news/press/2002_bitstream/062602_thunderhawk.html">http://www.bitstream.com/categories/news/press/2002_bitstream/062602_thunderhawk.html</a><br /><br />Bitstream has updated their Thunderhawk browser/proxy server service to version 1.02. The new features in ThunderHawk include: <br /><br />• Favorites folder for storing URLs of frequently visited Web pages <br />• Expanded history list that stores up to 64 URLs <br />• Toolbar button that lets you jump back to Windows CE or Pocket PC OS <br />• More readable keypad <br />• Support for more devices, such as Audiovox & Toshiba <br />• Performance improvements

dave
06-26-2002, 05:41 PM
this product looks intriguing to me. while others have sneered at the $50 annual fee, i think that is fair if they do a good job of reducing the size of the page transmissions.

has anyone used this thing over GPRS? if so, how is it on the bandwidth? this paying by the megabyte blows.

ikesler
06-26-2002, 05:47 PM
I have used it with a 14.4 connection through sprint pcs and have been pretty pleased....... the pages load faster it seems to me, and they are sooo much easier to read. Download the trial and give it a shot. The only problems I had with it seem to have been fixed with this upgrade.
Best,
Ian :D

mikehope
06-26-2002, 05:56 PM
This is a great browser, I actually just registered and paid the $50. I think it is well worth it. Web browsing on a PPC becomes an enjoyable experience with this program, especially over a high speed connection.

Mike

Underwater Mike
06-26-2002, 06:39 PM
:?:
I wonder if they'll eliminate the on-screen keyboard for URLs? That's what's putting me off the most...

igreen
06-27-2002, 03:58 AM
I tried it with my Earthlink (Omnisky) account with a Sierra Wireless card. It was a nice technology demo but thats about it (at least through this connection method). Its performance was spotty. Very slow sometimes. The activity indicator was horribly unreliable. That is it indicated NO activity sometimes when a page was partially loaded.....sometime for a minute or more. This prompted me to try tapping a link or something on the screen in which case it lined up a ton of requests for the server and at that point it just went nuts. I also found the "stop loading" button on the task bar to be useless....it didn't do anything. If I popped up the TS Keyboard and tapped the stop icon, then typed in a different URL...it continued to load the old URL I had just stopped. Also on my 3870 tapping the "Jump to WINCE" icon had the effect of turning the screen white. To get anything else to work I had to hit one of the programmable buttons opening the calender or tasks or something...then I could get to the Start icon in the top right corner. Not worth $50 yet....at least not for CDPD.