View Full Version : Compaq 3900

hpjo
06-25-2002, 03:59 AM
Sure it will be a topseller, but they should of added more to the 2 in the series. The price is higher on the 3950 is 650$ and all they added was the new processor. And 750$ for the 3970, hell you could buy a desktop for that price. I remember the old 3870 had a bluetooh in it and it was only 650$, although i do like that they made 48mb of ram than the usually 32mb. The toshiba e740 has a built-in 802.11b wireless, compact flash and secure digital slots, and it is only 600$. They also should have redisigned the casing, don't get me wrong i think it is one of the best looking ppc out there, but i used to have a 3850, and when playing games it sucked. The keypad was to low and you couldn't get a good hold. I think they could of redisigned it but still having the ability to use the sleeves. I think it is too little stuff, for to much money. What do you think? Please respond.

By the way no one responded to my post "do you think microsoft will come out with a new pocket pc os?" I would love it if you responded to that also.

seanturner
06-30-2002, 07:28 AM
Well, they added a much better screen too. But, you have to look at the target market: business customers. Compaq doesn't expect your average home user to be buying these things. They're looking at a corporate budget, which is why they can charge so much. Palm targets the home market with its $100 POS's.

spursdude
06-30-2002, 07:54 AM
heck - if compaq lowered their prices, i would consider getting an ipaq 3900 series. and i'm a "home user." if compaq only markets to corporate users, they're missing out on quite a bit of revenue, i would say.

one of the biggest reasons i got an audiovox maestro was the price - $290, and then added a $55 CF card.

Dave Conger
07-01-2002, 11:06 PM
The price is higher on the 3950 is 650$ and all they added was the new processor.

They actually added quite a few things to both the 3950 and 3970, but I agree that the price is still high. I think they are trying to keep it in there pricing structure with a slowly increasing price from the 3850 to the 3875 to the 3950 to the 3975. The problem is, that makes the 3970/75 really expensive. As the price on the older devices drops so will the price on the new ones.

target market: business customers. Compaq doesn't expect your average home user to be buying these things. They're looking at a corporate budget...

Though, right now with the economic slump we are in, I wouldn't think they would want to have such high prices even for the business market.

CharlesWilcox
07-03-2002, 06:04 AM
I held my 3850 next to a beta version of the 39XX at a presentation put on by a HP rep last month... forget the new processor, I want one for the new screen alone.

PC Boy
07-07-2002, 02:48 AM
I don't think the increase in price is worth just a new screen and proccessor. I know the screen is transflective but to me, that is the worst of both worlds. It is now a screen that is OK in direct sunlight but better indoors. The format is the same (no CF slot, just SD) and to me.. that is a big downer! I will hold off on ANY XScale purchase right now until they work out the OS compatability issues.

Dave Conger
07-07-2002, 07:57 AM
I want one for the new screen alone.

Hmmm, I think Pocket PC Techs should see if it would be possible to install a transreflective in the older iPAQs....I think quite a few people would like that upgrade...like me!