View Full Version : PPCW.Net has info on the 3900

Ed Hansberry
06-24-2002, 12:30 PM
<a href="http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/06/23/7873201">http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/06/23/7873201</a><br /><br />Arne Hess of Pocket PC Writer.net attended an HP presentation Saturday and learned about the new HP iPAQ 3900 series, a new iPAQ owners software club and a few other tidbits.

Mr. Anonymous
06-24-2002, 01:51 PM
The high-resolution 3.8" TFT color display with backlights and sidelight is even brighter and sharper than today's iPAQ displays. This is a step into a new class of display technology for Pocket PCs which isn't used today by anyone else. Like before with the first iPAQ screens, HP (even if it was designed by Compaq) shows the competitors again which is the way in display technologies for Pocket PCs

I thought it was just a transflective display like the new Sony Clie uses?

Both models will run the new Intel XScale 400Mhz processor which will/should guaranty lower power consumption with higher CPU speed, compared to today's Intel StrongARM 206 MHz CPUs.

Sigh...I swear the Toshiba people were telling me the same thing just the other day...

orinoco
06-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Hi folks:

I just saw the iPaq 3900 series on HP-Compaq's web site, and you can buy it now. I guess that means it is available as of today. Check the link below:

http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/index.html

You gurus out there: What is a transflective screen ?

Thanks,

Fernando

vetteguy
06-24-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi folks:

I just saw the iPaq 3900 series on HP-Compaq's web site, and you can buy it now. I guess that means it is available as of today. Check the link below:
I remember the 3870 being "available" on their site too, but in reality there was like a 6-week lead time, so I highly doubt they have these ready for shipping. But I could be wrong.

On another note, where the heck are all the 128MB XScale units???

TypeMRT
06-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi folks:

You gurus out there: What is a transflective screen ?

The best of both worlds: ambient light is reflected back through the display and the lights of the unit are transmitted from behind the display. Very bright, very even display with no dust and an excellent viewing angle.

Paragon
06-24-2002, 05:23 PM
The high-resolution 3.8" TFT color display with backlights and sidelight is even brighter and sharper than today's iPAQ displays. This is a step into a new class of display technology for Pocket PCs which isn't used today by anyone else. Like before with the first iPAQ screens, HP (even if it was designed by Compaq) shows the competitors again which is the way in display technologies for Pocket PCs

I thought it was just a transflective display like the new Sony Clie uses?

Also isn't this the same screen that is in the Loox, and was announced weeks ago.

Dave

shockidelica
06-24-2002, 05:56 PM
$750 for the 3970! Are they on crack? How can they justify this price when Toshiba's undercutting them by $200 and they include the more common Wi-FI?