View Full Version : Pocket IE Problems

ronag
06-22-2002, 05:25 AM
I've got an iPAQ 3870 & an Ericsson T68 that I use Bluetooth to connect them, and browse the web & deal with emails, etc.

Recently, for some strange reason, I cannot browse any web sites. Whether I manually type in a URL, or select from my Favorites, all it does is flash the "Windows Logo" in the top right for a fraction of a second, then nothing...no timed out message, error, etc. It just stays at the default address file://\windows\default.htm. Another thing is if I enter a URL when NOT connected, it would normally launch the GPRS dialler - BEFORE I started having this trouble, but now I am getting the same results whether or not I initiate a manual connection prior to trying to browse, or not!!

The weird part is I can send & receive email perfectly fine!!

I'm hoping it is something dumb, but I've reset it a million times, re-installed the latest ROM update, but still nothing!!

Thanks in advance

Small Town Man
06-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Do you have the files "CMMapG" and "CMMapP" in the root folder of your PPC?
If not, run "welcome.exe" (in the windows folder). This will create this files and fix the problem.

ronag
06-22-2002, 02:15 PM
THANKS !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

It was driving me nuts trying to figure it out

mdl1970
06-29-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm having the same problem with PIE. Except I'm using the Socket Digital Phone Card, IPAQ 3835, Motorola v60c phone, and a dial-up ISP.

I can connect perfectly, but I can't browse. It basically just times out.

I looked in the root for "CMMapG" and "CMMapP", but did not find them. I ran welcome.exe, but all it did was take me to the intro page where you point your stylus on the screen.

I have the latest service packs installed, yet the DNS numbers still get reversed when I try to log in again AFTER logging off.

This is incredibly frustrating!

Any help out there?

Thanks.

Michael

Small Town Man
06-30-2002, 01:29 AM
You have to set the explorer to show hidden files to see the files.

It seems, that your service pack (EUU1) did not work when your DNS is still reversing.
Before the EUU1 came out there was a patch, a single ppp.dll file that some people copied in the windows folder.
As long as this patch file is in the windows folder, the ROM ppp.dll file will not be used.
You may try to rename the ppp.dll file in your windows folder and do a soft reset.
The ROM ppp.dll is hidden too.

If this does not work you may try to reinstall the EUU1.

mdl1970
06-30-2002, 05:48 AM
How do I set File Explorer to show me all of the hidden files? :roll:

If I do find the welcome.exe file, will this insert the necessary files?

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
06-30-2002, 07:09 AM
How do I set File Explorer to show me all of the hidden files?

Uh....you can't. 8O Limitation of File Explorer. You'll want a 3rd party tool for that.

Small Town Man
06-30-2002, 01:38 PM
On PPC2002 you can set the file explorer to show all files.
Open file explorer, tap and hold on on a place where no file is and select from the pop up menu "show all files" (or similar, I don't have an english ROM).

mdl1970
06-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Well, I now can see all of the hidden files (Thanks to Small Town). It looks like the files "CMMapG" and "CMMapP" were created today (6-30) after I ran 1 of the 2 welcome.exe files.

However, I'm getting the same result. "The page you are looking for can not be found".

What is this telling me?

BTW, the DNS numbers are still getting reversed. Is there a way to really make sure the EUU1 patch takes place?

Just by deduction alone, it seems that the reversing DNS dilemma is my main problem. Is this a PPC2002 problem that hasn't been rectified? Or, could it be a Socket DPC problem? I don't think it's my dial-up ISP or IPAQ that's misbehaving.

Anyways, thanks for your support. And, I'll be happy to try anything you guys throw my way.

Jason Dunn
06-30-2002, 09:56 PM
On PPC2002 you can set the file explorer to show all files.
Open file explorer, tap and hold on on a place where no file is and select from the pop up menu "show all files" (or similar, I don't have an english ROM).

DOH! :oops: You're right - I forgot about that hidden feature... :-)

Small Town Man
06-30-2002, 11:16 PM
It seems that your problem is related to te reversed DNS. Maybe somthing with the EUU1 went wrong.
You can check if the EUU1 was installed by going to ActiveSync > Tools > Options. If there is a server tab the EUU1 was installed.
If not, try to reinstall the EUU1. Do a softreset before and after the EUU1 setup.
Also check if you have a file "ppp.dll" in your windows folder (the .dll may not be visable). If you have it, rename it and do a softreset.

mdl1970
07-01-2002, 02:55 AM
Small Town Man, You are the man!

The EUU1 update did the trick. I thought I had it installed, but wasn't sure what to look for. When I previously downloaded it, I thought it just automatically synched/installed when I ran it from it's location. I had no idea that I had to drag & drop it from my desktop location to the mobile device folder. Then, you have to synch it between each other. Look for it in file explorer on the IPAQ. And, then tap it. It asks you to connect to a power source and installs.

Boy, did I learn a lesson. No telling how many hours I've spent pulling my hair. I was about to to say forget it, and guy buy the serial cable.

I'd just like to really thank you for your advice. This forum is lucky to have you!