View Full Version : Finally, a CDMA phone that rocks!

Jason Dunn
06-21-2002, 05:48 PM
<a href="http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1968">http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1968</a><br /><br />It looks like there's finally a CDMA 1xRTT phone with Bluetooth that I can use! I wonder why they had to make it so ugly though? (see the photo at infoSync)<br /><br />"Audiovox' latest handset, the 9155-GPX, provides not only connectivity to CDMA2000 1xRTT networks, but also offers integrated Bluetooth and positioning services through gpsOne. As CDMA2000 1xRTT networks are growing increasingly common, the need for handsets that can shift data at speeds of up to 144 Kbps grows imminent. So far, there hasn't been any lack of handsets - and Audiovox Communications is doing its part to help prevent shortages with its new 9155-GPX handset which not only supports 1xRTT but also gpsOne positioning services. <br /><br />Currently shipping to carriers, the 9155-GPX is a CDMA tri-mode (800 MHz CDMA, 1900 MHz PCS and 800 MHz AMPS), web-enabled, CDMA2000 1X-capable handset equipped with the MSM5100 chipset that has Bluetooth capability and gpsOne-based location positioning. gpsOne enables wireless carriers to pinpoint the geographic location of a caller who dials 911 emergency services on a system-compatible handset." Source: JD Mountford

Ed Hansberry
06-21-2002, 05:58 PM
I don't think it is ugly, but I wish it folded up. Let's see when Sprint adds it to their inventory.

Arne Hess
06-21-2002, 06:19 PM
This should rocks? It's ugly... 8O
Wonder why no design mobile phones came from the US!? Even Motorola take 10 years to design fine mobile phones... :lol:

JMountford
06-21-2002, 06:22 PM
I sent the link to thoughts after reading the article at Infosync. Unfortunately at this point we are unsure as to whether or not the phone ACTUALLY does have Bluetooth built in or just support for Bluetooth.

I am looking in to it.

On another note Sprint does carry a version of this phone, the CDM 9155SP. I am trying to verify as to whether or not it is identical to the 9155 GMX as the SP is not listed on the Audiovox website.

I will let you all know.

donkthemagicllama
06-21-2002, 07:26 PM
That looks like the basic AudioVox reference design (we have a ton of them here for doing basestation testing). You'd think they could come up with something nicer for the consumer market.

Paragon
06-21-2002, 08:01 PM
http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1968

It looks like there's finally a CDMA 1xRTT phone with Bluetooth that I can use! I wonder why they had to make it so ugly though? (see the photo at infoSync)

When you say "I can use" does that mean you have heard that Telus, or BellMobility is going to carry it. Or that it will be available somewhere 'unlocked' ? Bluetooth phones here in Canada a very slim pickins. I think there are two at the moment both GSM single mode phones. Which means very poor coverage. I have a Motoroloa 270c which can become Bluetooth enabled when the module and software flash become available. Unfortunately they use the same calender as Compaq does....... :roll:

If anyone can correct me on any of this I would sure like to know it.

Dave

njb42
06-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Verizon Wireless has been carrying this phone for a while. Nowhere on their site or Audiovox's does it mention Bluetooth for this phone. There is no Bluetooth accessory listed either. The only data option seems to be a USB cable.

Over at infoSync they're claiming that the press release they received did mention Bluetooth, but they can't find any reference to it in the official specs either.

I too would love to have a 1xRTT, Bluetooth phone. I just picked up a Motorola v.270c, which has Bluetooth but no 3G. I was upset that I had to order an accessory to get Bluetooth -- both the product box and the Verizon salesman indicated it was built in.

Anyway, the Bluetooth sled and a Motorola Bluetooth headset arrived yesterday. I picked up a pair of Bluetooth CompactFlash adapters at CompUSA for $99 each and started playing with them. This is my first experience with Bluetooth.

Sure enough, I can make and receive calls from the headset. That alone is worth the price -- how many times have I gotten tangled in the headset cable while driving? I also was able to make a data call (sadly at just 14.4Kbps since the v.270c lacks 3G) from the iPAQ using the Ambicom CF card.

Just thought someone might want to hear of my experiences. Hope this was helpful.

Jason Dunn
06-21-2002, 09:09 PM
When you say "I can use" does that mean you have heard that Telus, or BellMobility is going to carry it.

I have no clue about the carriers - I was strictly talking about the hardware.

Paragon
06-21-2002, 09:11 PM
njb42

You may want to try www.pocketdev.org It is a free compression proxy that does seem to speed up the service considerably.

Dave

Paragon
06-21-2002, 09:15 PM
When you say "I can use" does that mean you have heard that Telus, or BellMobility is going to carry it.

I have no clue about the carriers - I was strictly talking about the hardware.

Thanks Jason, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure you weren't holding back on a fellow Canuck. :)

njb42
06-21-2002, 09:23 PM
You may want to try www.pocketdev.org It is a free compression proxy that does seem to speed up the service considerably.

Thanks Paragon! I've been using the new Thunderhawk browser/proxy from Bitstream, and it works very well -- mostly beats the pants off Pocket IE as a matter of fact.

However, I also got the chance to try a Sierra Wireless Aircard 555 last week and I was able to make data connections at 1xRTT speeds. Now I am jealous. :cry:

Like Jason said, if I could have 1xRTT and Bluetooth in the same device, I would do the "Dance of Joy" from Ren & Stimpy.

njb42
06-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Anyway, the Bluetooth sled and a Motorola Bluetooth headset arrived yesterday ... Sure enough, I can make and receive calls from the headset.

UPDATE: I may have been a bit hasty in my earlier post .... it seems that after a few hours, the Bluetooth module attached to my v.270c goes to "sleep" and stops responding. I have to power the phone off and back on to make calls from the headset or the iPAQ.

Motorola is stumped. The issue's been escalated to a level-3 tech who is researching it for me. Stay tuned to this channel...

Ed Hansberry
06-21-2002, 09:56 PM
Anyway, the Bluetooth sled and a Motorola Bluetooth headset arrived yesterday ... Sure enough, I can make and receive calls from the headset.

UPDATE: I may have been a bit hasty in my earlier post .... it seems that after a few hours, the Bluetooth module attached to my v.270c goes to "sleep" and stops responding. I have to power the phone off and back on to make calls from the headset or the iPAQ.

Motorola is stumped. The issue's been escalated to a level-3 tech who is researching it for me. Stay tuned to this channel...
No way. Not a bluetooth problem. Can't be. Impossible. :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-22-2002, 04:54 AM
njb42, there have been problems with the early firmware releases of the 270c (& the firmware of the Bluetooth module) - that might be it. There was a lot of discussion of this phone on PocketPCPassion.com.

Irony is, I've been using Bluetooth between the Ericsson T68 and a Motorola headset and the iPaq 3870 with no problems (excepting the freaking reset on the iPaq). Unfortunately, no CDMA phone on sale today has Bluetooth except the 270c, and it doesn't have high-speed. Worse, no slated phone I've seen will support Bluetooth on CDMA. Short-sighted if you ask me (EdH's experiences notwithstanding :D)

--bdj

njb42
06-23-2002, 05:05 AM
njb42, there have been problems with the early firmware releases of the 270c (& the firmware of the Bluetooth module) - that might be it. There was a lot of discussion of this phone on PocketPCPassion.com.

Thanks, I'm about to head over there and check it out. I think some of my problems have been self-inflicted too. This is my first experience with Bluetooth. It seems to be working pretty smoothly for me now.

Unfortunately, no CDMA phone on sale today has Bluetooth except the 270c, and it doesn't have high-speed.

Yeah, I know. It seems like you can only have one or the other. And don't even get me started on the broken promises from Sprint PCS...

--njb42

njb42
06-23-2002, 06:58 AM
BTW, another thing I forgot to mention earlier .... CompUSA now carries the Ambicom Bluetooth CF card for $99. The card includes a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter and drivers for both the Pocket PC and desktop Windows. I bought a pair of them at the store in Wilmington, Delaware to play with.

Note that many of the stores aren't even aware they have the card, even if the web site lists it as in-stock. (Not that this is anything unusual for CompUSA...)

Here's the link to CompUSA's product page (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293047), and here are the Ambicom product page (http://www.ambicom.com/products/air2net/BT2000CF.htm) and updated drivers (http://www.ambicom.com/support/driverdownload/ddbt2000cf.htm) for both Win9x/2K and PPC.

JMountford
06-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Well I finally got an answer and the phone DOES NOT have Bluetooth. The Qualcom chipset simply supports Bluetooth, but as I suspected Audiovox did not add the hardware nesecary to support Bluetooth.

Furthermore, Audiovox does not plan on making any Bluetooth accesories or adapters. To top it off there are no current plans, that any one I spoke to knew of, to build a Bluetooth handset.