View Full Version : It's possible to make 38xx SDIO compatible, no?

Wackyman
06-18-2002, 07:02 PM
Just talked to some Compaq tech support guy and he told me that whether the SD slot on our 38xx would be SDIO compatible is only a matter of a ROM update; the lot itself is already SDIO compatible at the hardware level. Compaq did not give us an SDIO compatible ROM at the time of release was because there wasn't any hardwares in the market that were SDIO compatible. But now it all has changed and if Compaq did decide to write another ROM update(not the coming ver 2 one), we will have SDIO compatible 38xx iPAQs! 8O

DId he just lie to me? :roll:

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Hmm - I'm not sure. Let me email someone at Compaq and I'll let you know via a front-page post one way or the other...

Grey
06-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Just talked to some Compaq tech support guy and he told me that whether the SD slot on our 38xx would be SDIO compatible is only a matter of a ROM update; the lot itself is already SDIO compatible at the hardware level. Compaq did not give us an SDIO compatible ROM at the time of release was because there wasn't any hardwares in the market that were SDIO compatible. But now it all has changed and if Compaq did decide to write another ROM update(not the coming ver 2 one), we will have SDIO compatible 38xx iPAQs! 8O

Well I don't know who told you this :twisted: but it goes against everything that Compaq has posted to date. The Hardware controller can be thought of as a MM card controller, :evil: with a little software thrown in to make it read the SD cards. That it would ever read "SD" at anything near their real capability, is an impossibility. The best you can hope for is 2Mb/sec compare to the 10MB/sec that SD memory devices can do. So if the Hardware will not let you even read SD memory devices at any thing like half/speed, it just wishful thinking to think it will every do anything more than it does now.

ErorZ
06-29-2002, 12:36 AM
As I posted on Brighthand... There are 2 different spec for SD... SD-1 and SD-4 and of course SDIO is a seperate enhancement.

Here is the simplified spec sheet for SD
<http://www.sdcard.org/sdphysical_simplifyed_Ver101.PDF>
Page 17 has a table showing the difference between MMC and SD. It does state SD can have 1 (2-MB sec) or 4 (10-MB sec) data lines !

Its not a MMC slot with SD support, its the other way around... its a SD Slot with MMC support... but it was implemented as a SD-1 slot and will probably never be faster and will never support SDIO.

The H3800 was SD-1
The H3900 will be SD-4 with SDIO support.

schergr
07-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Regardless of whether the device is SDIO compliant, I think an SDIO card could be used in the device as long as the vendor provides drivers. Have a look at the new Toshibas (not SDIO compliant). They say you can use the Toshiba SDIO card... So it must be done using software in RAM.

Thoughts?

- Greg

Corn Bread
07-17-2002, 08:35 AM
Regardless of whether the device is SDIO compliant, I think an SDIO card could be used in the device as long as the vendor provides drivers. Have a look at the new Toshibas (not SDIO compliant). They say you can use the Toshiba SDIO card... So it must be done using software in RAM.

HUH? Who ever said that the Toshibas aren't SDIO compliant?

Grey
07-23-2002, 03:52 PM
As I posted on Brighthand... There are 2 different spec for SD... SD-1 and SD-4 and of course SDIO is a seperate enhancement.

Here is the simplified spec sheet for SD
<http://www.sdcard.org/sdphysical_simplifyed_Ver101.PDF>
Page 17 has a table showing the difference between MMC and SD. It does state SD can have 1 (2-MB sec) or 4 (10-MB sec) data lines !

Its not a MMC slot with SD support, its the other way around... its a SD Slot with MMC support... but it was implemented as a SD-1 slot and will probably never be faster and will never support SDIO.

The H3800 was SD-1
The H3900 will be SD-4 with SDIO support.

I have read that sheet, show me one test result where the 3870 gets 2 MB/sec reading or writing to the So Called SD slot. Show me where it says you don't need to detect the status of the card, if it is write enabled or not. Compaq adverstised the 3870 as a SD PPC, not as a SD-1 PPC.