View Full Version : Why I love my TV more than my PDA

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/upgradepda.html">http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/upgradepda.html</a><br /><br />Steve Bush has put together an article that compares his TV set to his PDA, his camera, computer, etc. Give it a read.<br /><br />"For some reason it never crosses my mind when I'm watching that TV or playing that stereo that there are newer models with better technology. It's not that I'm not aware of things like flat-screen technology or HDTV, it's just that I'm satisfied with the status quo. Someday I'd like to have that same mindset with all of my other electronic devices."<br /><br />In my view, the reason why we don't upgrade our TVs as fast as we upgrade our computers or PDAs is that TV has had decades to evolve. I'm sure that back when TVs first came out, there was a fairly rapid upgrade cycle. Small, fish bowl black and white to small colour, large colour, projection to rear projection. At the beginning of its cycle, a product has a lot of headroom for improvement. As it matures, the changes become less drastic, and once it has reached a certain level of functionality consumers aren't swayed by new features.<br /><br />These cycles can, and do, repeat. There was likely a decade of black and white TV sets where only minor improvements we made. In the same way, we're at a point now where many people have at least one TV set in their home that is 30" or larger, and no new TVs offer any major advantages. But we're approaching the start of another cycle: as flat panel technologies improve and come down in price, as HDTV signals become more common, and as hard-disk recording systems become more mainstream, we'll see the beginning of another upgrade cycle in this decade - but only if the changes are perceived as significant enough.<br /><br />In the same way, Pocket PCs and PDAs in general are immature compared with televisions or even computers. Changes from one generation to another are quite significant. Yet in five to seven years, when every device has a low-power screen, fast CPUs, huge batteries, and integrated wireless, what will the new models have to offer? Will we feel such pressure to upgrade? When the changes in the software are as "minor" as moving from Office 97 to Office 2000, will we think "I really need that new software". I know I'll probably still upgrade, but what about you? Can you be satisfied with the current technology, or is there always something better around the corner?<br /><br />A final thought: television is a limited paradigm with limited potential. Until something drastically different comes around (like holographic shows), it's going to remain basically the same. Computing technology is so vast and so broad that there are no limits. There will always be dramatic improvements, because things can always get smaller, lighter, cheaper, and faster. Agree or disagree?

wiredguy
06-18-2002, 04:10 PM
I posted this in reply to his article on brighthand:

Think of it this way. TVs don't have add-on software that enhance feature sets. Sure, you can get more channels, but "viewing channels" is basically the TVs only function.

Same goes with a Pocket PC. You could buy one, and use it forever. However, if you go to add software and accessories, you may run into incompatabilities. Just think of the add-on software as a optional benefit.

At least PPC gives you the option to add completely new features, where your TV will always do the same thing.

rubberdemon
06-18-2002, 04:15 PM
I think the point about TV being a limited paradigm is a good one. Personal computers have been around now for what, twenty years? And I'm still infected with upgradeitis. Each new model promises more power and better features (I've had four laptops in the past three years alone...). What I think will drive the continuing improvement and geek lust for PDAs is not just technological innovation - obviously we'll reach a point where the technology does what most people need it to do (as with PCs at the moment) - but software/application innovation. If it was not for new applications like video editing, high-end 3D video games, speech recognition etc, most people wouldn't need to upgrade their PCs - after all, word processing and email don't put a drain on any computer these days. It will be the same with PDAs. What will these applications be? Who knows? Real time translation, voice recognition (that works), 3D graphics, all the wireless data flavours, you name it...

disconnected
06-18-2002, 05:09 PM
This made me think of some of those other discussions about what will be the 'killer app' for Pocket PC. For me, what makes it a 'killer device' is that, unlike the TV, there are unlimited apps. For almost every person that doesn't see the need for a Pocket PC, there is probably at least one semi-killer app (theoretical if not totally ready for prime time); it's probably difficult to address this with advertising, just because there are so many different uses. (I guess that's sort of like cable TV being able to offer channels for smaller audiences). The TV is just what it is, while the Pocket PC can be a replacement (part or full-time) for books, day-planners, CD players, or whatever; people may complain that it is not quite as good as what it replaces, but it sure can replace a lot of things in one small package.........and besides, it's just plain cool.

Ed Hansberry
06-18-2002, 05:28 PM
http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/upgradepda.html

Steve Bush has put together an article that compares his TV set to his PDA, his camera, computer, etc. Give it a read.
Uhm.... ok. Look for my upcoming exposé on my CD player compared to my PDA. Just because something requires electricity does not mean it is comparable to another electrical device. :roll:

Oh, by the way, I am in the processes of registering my own "Thoughts" site. www.hairdryerthoughts.com. :lol:

don dre
06-18-2002, 06:05 PM
I wouldn;t tell you but would be out developing something for the pc and pda. With the computer and PDA thereis unlimited potential but no guarantee that innovation will keep pressing us to upgrade. As long as companies are viciously competing for our upgrade dollars we can be sure that they willbe trying as hard as can be to find something new to sell us. TV's progress has been held back buy our government's inept handling of the HDTV standard and lack of competition of content providers, ie networks and cable companies. At any rate, we all walk by the flat panel at our local Best Buy and drool, i see it happen. I look at it and see both a High Def monitor for movies and my computer. no need for two screens. I don't watch tv but i do look forward to surfing the internet on a 42" screen with a bluetooth keyboard but i'm getting beside myself. PDA's ahve unlimited potential unlike TV's. It has taken over music, personal contact info, and it's taking over pictures. The digital revolution can and will continue as long as we have choices. It will stop if and when companies and org's like RIAA and MPAA control innovation through the gov.

Kathy_Harris
06-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Maybe Steve hasn't seen the new plasma screen TVs? Or the better sound systems?

Jonathan1
06-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Always knew Steve lost it looooong ago. :evil: Still somewhat pissed at the guy for kicking me and a LOT of other long time users off of Brighthand over a question. A question with a bit of controversy behind it but a question non the less.

Steven Cedrone
06-19-2002, 01:35 AM
Always knew Steve lost it looooong ago. :evil: Still somewhat pissed at the guy for kicking me and a LOT of other long time users off of Brighthand over a question. A question with a bit of controversy behind it but a question non the less.

Oh no! Lets not revisit that ugly mess again :roll:

Maverick
06-19-2002, 02:10 AM
What was the question?

Sanjay Srikonda
06-19-2002, 01:42 PM
On first glance, the article struck me as odd. Don't enthusiasts of TVs go and buy new TVs when they come out, the latest, greatest, the same with audiophiles and stereos?

So, how is that unique about people who are technogeeks into PDAs?

We get excited about the latest and greatest BECAUSE that is what we like to get excited about?

We're fans of this as much as someone else is a fan of any other type of gadget.

What's the big mystery?

dhpss
06-19-2002, 02:37 PM
We all know that if you read this Web site that you are technology fan, like I am; personally I am excited about technology mainly b'cause of its relentless innovation, competition, creativity, etc.

We all agree that technology help us in countless ways in our lives and that what I am making a living with, (like most of us).......

I just want to take this article, (which describes what 95% of consumers think about technology including my wife,...) to learn how to make technology more user friendly.

As an example: I am using my PocketPC, and I am so annoyed about the volume control, reminder, etc. During the day, I have to adjust several times, depending if I am in a meeting or in my car or at my desk...The fact is to just perform a simple thing, I have to have a thought process, clicking several windows, tap, click, slide... check box and with all that....I always have a doubt that my reminder stops working and make me miss my appointments,...I am wondering why not just have a volume rotary button for all the volume like a simple radio? so I just adjust volume instinctively and easily.

I think the article is excellent and help us sometime not to be carried away too much by technology but pay more attention about natural human factors. And do not forget, technology only can continue its innovation and progress If there is wide comsumer acceptance and adoption.

Dinh Phan
IBM Corp.