View Full Version : TI Advances Bluetooth to Single Chip, Sub $4 Mark

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 02:19 PM
<a href="http://www.twomobile.com/content/1152.php">http://www.twomobile.com/content/1152.php</a><br /><br />Some further information on the new Texas Instruments Bluetooth chip that's supposed to bring Bluetooth to every device possible - two years ago I was told that once Bluetooth chips became $5, everyone would jump on board. The next six months should be interesting as manufacturers gear up for a "Bluetooth Christmas". What sort of Bluetooth devices would you like to see under the tree?<br /><br />"Marking a major step forward to bring Bluetooth functionality to cellular phones and consumer devices, Texas Instruments (TI) announced today the BRF6100, the first single-chip BluetoothTM solution to integrate a digital Radio Frequency (RF) processor and Bluetooth baseband on one chip to reduce cost and minimize board space. The BRF6100 is the first implementation of TI´s digital RF architecture and uses TI´s standard 0.13 micron, copper Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) manufacturing process to deliver considerable advantages over existing Bluetooth RF technology. <br /><br />By designing a digital RF CMOS architecture, TI has removed many of the challenges associated with current RF devices. The BRF6100 Bluetooth chip will consume as little as half the power of current solutions and will occupy the smallest board area of any product available today. The BRF6100 will allow mobile device designers to easily integrate Bluetooth functionality - a high value-added feature - for a total system cost below $4 in volume quantities."

ejph
06-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Well I was rather hoping for Bluetooth Lego devices to play with this christmas! :D

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Well I was rather hoping for Bluetooth Lego devices to play with this christmas! :D

I've seen that actually - only 10% of the Lego pieces fit together properly. :lol:

heliod
06-19-2002, 04:04 PM
I would like Bluetooth in the air conditioning, stereo equipment and in the TV set. No need for remotes anymore.

If someone wants only a game, you can settle for a BT chip in your wife's hairdryer. Just imagine what pieces of art you could do with that.

Regarding Lego, the guys at Socket were presenting on last CEBIT a lego Robot controled by BT from a Pocket PC. Actually, they had there a RS232C-BT interface that makes everything that has an RS-232 port controlable through BT.

Helio