View Full Version : Pre-order the iPAQ 3950 and 3970!

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 09:13 PM
<a href="http://www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&amp;page=bcomippocpc.html">http://www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&amp;page=bcomippocpc.html</a> <br /><br />One of our affiliate partners, DreamPages, just posted a very interesting message in the forums. It looks like the iPAQ 39xx is on its way! The juicy details are below, and by all that's holy, <b>WE FINALLY HAVE A TRANSFLECTIVE SCREEN LIKE THE SONY!!</b> Real SD/IO doesn't hurt either! Thanks for supporting this site through affiliate links.<br /><br />"HP just started taking orders for the new iPAQ H3950 &amp; H3970 Pocket PCs and we were the first to order! So, we're now <a href="http://www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&page=bcomippocpc.html">accepting pre-order on our website</a>. The prices posted on our site are based on HP's ordering price on 6/17 and will be adjusted if HP changes the price we pay."<br /><br />- Based on the award winning iPAQ Pocket PC platform, the iPAQ 3970 features the fast new Intel X-Scale 400 Mhz processor and a brilliant transflective TFT display with 240x320 resolution and 65K colors, and integrated Bluetooth Wireless <br />- 64 MB SDRAM, 48 MB Flash ROM with 20 MB available for customer use. <br />- An integrated SD slot with SDIO support, standard and consumer IR <br />- 1400 mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Power Supply

JonnoB
06-17-2002, 09:25 PM
I like the iPaq... but I refuse to get one until they integrate CF in the main device. Or at least put two SD/MMC slots in. It is otherwise at a disadvantage. I realize that they want to keep the sled design and I think that is ok... use it for other expansion devices or more cards... but put two exansion slots in the main unit or other devices are going to trample them.

Ed Hansberry
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
- 64 MB SDRAM, 48 MB Flash ROM with 20 MB available for customer use.
- An integrated SD slot with SDIO support, standard and consumer I
20MB for the user? Cool.

On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?

ricktakagi
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
I also think that not having a second slot is what will keep me away from the new Ipaq...I'm sick of sleeves! I'm leaning towards the new Toshiba but waiting to see what else will have both a CF and SD slot built in.

Rick Takagi

Join our user group at www.pshug.org

ricktakagi
06-17-2002, 09:33 PM
I also think that not having a second slot is what will keep me away from the new Ipaq...I'm sick of sleeves! I'm leaning towards the new Toshiba but waiting to see what else will have both a CF and SD slot built in.

Rick Takagi

Join our user group at www.pshug.org

spursdude
06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
is it really 799.95? that's crazy!!!

what's the difference with a transflective screen, anyways?

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
20MB for the user? Cool. On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?

20 megs is indeed cool, and I hope this means developers will start to test their apps more fully - I see a lot of odd behaviour with some apps in Flash ROM.

SDIO is a hardware thing I believe. It would be nice to be wrong. :?

Inaki C
06-17-2002, 09:37 PM
The list of countries available for shiping on this site is funny.
Where do they get these country lists? Is USA doing like UK in the times of Commonwealth ?

By the way, after USA raised the custom fees for steel, Europe has entered a fool prosecution of every thing we buy in the USA. Lately I had to go to customs office only to get some magazines !

Please Americans be sensible, drop steel custom fees so we will be able again to purchase hardware from USA.

JonnoB
06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?

Unless they fix it before the 39xx devices come out, I wouldn't count on it. A plan to support the 38xx with SDIO probably would have likely happened already since they must have it in 39xx already in production.

JonnoB
06-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Please Americans be sensible, drop steel custom fees so we will be able again to purchase hardware from USA.

This is usually a tit for tat tariff/duty battle and will likely continue indefinately. If all world markets were open to everyone than we can realize your dream. I seem to recall weird wine tariffs for California wine in France and other oddities. What goes around, comes around.

ricktakagi
06-17-2002, 09:43 PM
799.00 is way to much for this, I'm thinking 699.99 is too much as well. Man, that new sony is sounding better by the minute.

Rick

Paragon
06-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Ya right!!! 800 bucks US for a device that doesn't even have a CF slot, or built in 802.11 :lol: :lol:

Dave

Jaxbulls
06-17-2002, 09:58 PM
What exactly is the Transflexive screen and what are the advantages?

dreampages
06-17-2002, 10:03 PM
I agree the price is steep. I'm hoping they'll lower the price before they actually ship them to us so we can lower our price as well. From what I've been reading, the current programs written for the ARM processor won't run any faster until they are optimized for the new processor. Who knows.

Heck, from Ingram Micro the wholesale cost is $30 higher so we're going with the direct Compaq shipments for now.

Compaq/HP began offering $50 mail-in rebate today on the H3835. We have a few left at the same link above. With the rebate it comes to $519.95. They have combo specials on the H3830 and H3870 where you get a free accessory. This may be the way to go unless you really need the X-Scale model.

Larry

brntcrsp
06-17-2002, 10:05 PM
What exactly is the Transflexive screen and what are the advantages?

well, this is what google brought up for me from http://www.beacon-link.co.uk/fujitsu_screens.htm

...a transflective display which offers superb performance outdoors. Sunlight actually improves the image, unlike Transmissive technologies which struggle in this environment. The transflective screen also performs well indoors although it does not feature a power hungry backlight. This has the advantage of further extending the battery life.

The Transflective screen offers infinitely better outdoor readability than any Transmissive technology could do. The brighter the sun, the more vibrant the display gets.

Duncan
06-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Yes - funny that - Fujitsu tablet screens... I wonder which other Pocket PC comes with a transreflective screen... :wink:

st63z
06-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Will HP bundle some sort of universal remote control app to use the "consumer IR" capability? If not, what app is currently the "best-in-class"? Will the range/compatibility work as well as that Sony Palm unit that also comes with consumer IR?

Anyways, is there a silver slider version of the CF/battery/cover expansion plus pack for the iPAQ? If it's not too bulky, might be good...

Don Sorcinelli
06-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Anyone else questioning the BIG bump in Flash ROM? I know that 20 MB available to the end-user is nice, but I suddenly started to wonder if HP knows something about the next PocketPC OS that we don't? I'm becoming more and more convinced that the 3600 series won't make the "upgrade cut" the next time around (PLEASE let me be wrong here... PLEASE! 8O ).

Sincerely,
A 3670 Owner

JonnoB
06-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Will HP bundle some sort of universal remote control app to use the "consumer IR" capability?

Another question that needs to be asked is if the IR has a power-saving mode. I can imagine that using it in a consumer mode eats up battery quicker. Long distance contact beaming would be cool though if possible.

lee337
06-17-2002, 10:57 PM
DonS wrote:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the 3600 series won't make the "upgrade cut" the next time around (PLEASE let me be wrong here... PLEASE! ).

Well, PocketPC 2002 didn't fit (completely) in a 3600 series. If the next version fits at all, it will also be an incomplete version.

If HP is increasing the flash ROM size, I would assume its because they know they will need the extra space. Companies don't increase their hardware costs unless they have to.

LEE337

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 11:07 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the 3600 series won't make the "upgrade cut" the next time around...

With all due respect, would that surprise you? The OS and features will continue to grow (people want improved apps, remember?) so the ROM size will grow as well. The iPAQ came out in 2002, and the next OS won't be until 2003 or beyond. A three year cycle isn't so bad, is it? I've never used the same desktop PC for that long. :-)

Ed Hansberry
06-18-2002, 12:09 AM
A three year cycle isn't so bad, is it? I've never used the same desktop PC for that long. :-)
Well, my trusty Dell Latitude has made that cut. NT4 SP4 shipped on it new, used that for about 18 months then got Win2K and now using XP. Of course, new larger hard drive and maxxed the RAM to 256MB. 366MHz is a bit slow, but once the app launches, it runs plenty fast for me. After all, how fast can I type in a formula into Excel. :lol:

Foo Fighter
06-18-2002, 12:17 AM
Is it "Kick Foo Fighter in the ass day", or what? :roll:

First I got my hopes up with the e310...but then discovered that it has sucky audio and ClearType. So today they announce the e740...and IT has lousy audio to. And NOW I see that Compaq (HP) is introducing the first PPC with a Transflective LCD (which is what I've always wanted)...and then I see that it costs over $700.

I swear, I'm going to go back to a Franklin planner and give up PDAs altogether. I just can't win for trying!

thadrool
06-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Is it "Kick Foo Fighter in the ass day", or what? :roll:

First I got my hopes up with the e310...but then discovered that it has sucky audio and ClearType. So today they announce the e740...and IT has lousy audio to. And NOW I see that Compaq (HP) is introducing the first PPC with a Transflective LCD (which is what I've always wanted)...and then I see that it costs over $700.

I swear, I'm going to go back to a Franklin planner and give up PDAs altogether. I just can't win for trying!

LOL! It'd probably be easier just to take some pills for your OCD, Foo! :)

Paragon
06-18-2002, 01:56 AM
With all due respect, would that surprise you? The OS and features will continue to grow (people want improved apps, remember?) so the ROM size will grow as well. The iPAQ came out in 2002, and the next OS won't be until 2003 or beyond. A three year cycle isn't so bad, is it? I've never used the same desktop PC for that long. :-)

Didn't HP state that one of the things they wanted to do with the Ipaq was to increase the user portion of ROM (file store) Myself, I think this is one thing I like about the 3900 Ipaq. I would also like to see any apps installed to file store have their registry setting saved in ROM or whatever virtual limbo that factory installed registry settings are installed too. After a hard reset the only way to access any apps in file store is by using file explorer and accessing them directly. In the end you have to reinstall them anyway. I can see some real problems arising after a hard reset with an even larger file store with even more apps, in more folders, under more names, causing confusion.

Dave

heov
06-18-2002, 04:08 AM
To my best knowledge, a transflexive screen is the same technology used in sony's Clie line. It is basically a screen with a BACK LIGHT (not side, like current pocket pc's) that can also be viewed easily outdoors. So no light smoothing problems, and it is most likley brighter... correct me if i'm wrong.

Foo Fighter
06-18-2002, 04:27 AM
It is basically a screen with a BACK LIGHT (not side, like current pocket pc's) that can also be viewed easily outdoors. So no light smoothing problems, and it is most likley brighter... correct me if i'm wrong.

Yep. It's the best of both worlds. A backlit display (ala Casio E-125) that is reflective (ala iPaq). And better still....it eliminates the DUST PROBLEM ENTIRELY!!!!!!

Duncan
06-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Trans[missive and]reflective - basically a hybrid technology. Doesn't necessarily have to be backlit - just lit! The Pocket Loox has one - so the iPAQ is not the first. To quote from the Pocket Loox Specifications page at http://212.52.234.17/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspcontent&lid=50&iid=0
240 x 320 pixel, 65.536 colours, transflective TFT TouchScreen

Foo Fighter
06-18-2002, 05:44 AM
The Pocket Loox has one - so the iPAQ is not the first.

Yeah, but the iPaq will hit the market long before the LOOX I'm afraid.

When will the Asus PDA become available? It has a Transflective LCD as well.

Duncan
06-18-2002, 06:56 AM
the iPaq will hit the market long before the LOOX I'm afraid.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless.... iPAQ arrive when it's supposed to... best laugh I've had in ages...!!!!

Foo Fighter
06-18-2002, 06:58 AM
the iPaq will hit the market long before the LOOX I'm afraid.
:lol: Priceless.... iPAQ arrive when it's supposed to... best laugh I've had in ages...!!!!

Well, ok..the track record is pretty bad. But how soon will we see the LOOX? Late Q3...early Q4...when Capricorn is in alignment with Aries? I'm beginning to think this thing is just an urban legend. :P

Duncan
06-18-2002, 07:17 AM
Really? As far back as late April the date was given as late July. In is now late June and the date is being given as - wait for it - late July. See? No broken promises! No changed deadlines.

And why the delay? So that problems with the XScale could be sorted out. Hmmm... I wonder which major Pocket PC manufacturer has recently failed to do that...

Of course you COULD choose to believe all the conflicting stories in various online magazines about changed dates and extra delays. Simple fact of the matter is - it isn't true, it never happened! The Pocket Loox will meet it's due date. Fact. Hey - on Monday you could even pre-order one from a UK online store - if you're in a hurry that is...

Now- Toshiba and HP - we've had machines appearing for saleand then promptly disappearing, next to nothing known about the devices until right up to their release, adverts for them that shouldn't have gone out, units released early full of faults... Urban legend? More like horror story!

But - I will go further...

I bought an iPAQ 3630 - I believe that those of us who did so were Pocket PC pioneers getting a revolutionary device.

I bought an iPAQ 3870 - I believe that those of us who did so were mugs. Taken for a ride by a company that couldn't give a damn and persuaded into buying a sub-standard mess of a machine.

I will ot be buying an iPAQ 3970 - I believe that those who will do so must be out of their tiny minds! If I had the legislative power I would have buyers of the 3970 sectioned for their own protection.

So - if the Loox wasn't to appear until a week next Christmas - I would still wait rather than buy another iCRAP and I would allenge anyone to give me one good reason why I should even consider trusting HPaq with my money with their less than sparkling record...

st63z
06-18-2002, 08:05 AM
I wonder just how big the 3970 with the CF plus pack will be (I saw the reviews and pics, but don't have hands-on experience). With integrated cover, I wouldn't need to use any cases (hopefully), so that will be the total traveling size.

Man, 3240 total iPAQ mAh with extended batt, pretty sweet (compared to the e740's standard 1000 mAH batt) :)

And anyone know if the 3900 will have any dedicated DSPs or coprocessors or whatnot? I hear the Imageon 100 may be in the e740's extension unit, but wouldn't that be kinda hard since the expansion port must be very high speed and have a direct line to the CPU and RAM?

vetteguy
06-18-2002, 12:52 PM
So are the only differences the XScale and the transreflective screen? What about integrated 802.11b? That's the make-or-break feature for my next handheld. No wireless, no buy.

don dre
06-18-2002, 01:35 PM
My enthusiasm is also dampened by the lack of built-in CF. I'm tired of my pocket bulging so much. Everyone knows it's not for natural reasons. At any rate, the reflective screen sounds cools. I can always do with the extra battery life. Still, the fujitsu with 802.11 and the option for integratedcel phone is far mroe tempting. I think the ipaq will have to sell at a discount in a few month's time. Also, has anyone heard anything about the samsung PDA's? The toshiba review at pocketnow.com will steer me clear of that device. As for steel, I would like to pay less for products made with steel as well. The people who get hurt most by tariffs are consumers while unions benfit. Still, it is true Europe is just as guilty. We pay for your medical and pharmaceutical research as well as military defense.

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 02:09 PM
So are the only differences the XScale and the transreflective screen? What about integrated 802.11b? That's the make-or-break feature for my next handheld. No wireless, no buy.

No wireless. CPU, Transreflective screen, 20 megs of Flash ROM, and likely some new software.

vetteguy
06-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Hmm...then no new iPAQ for me. Oh well.

Jason Lee
06-18-2002, 02:24 PM
I just want Best Buy to get one of any device in. I want to trade in my 3rd 3835 for something with a functional back/front/side/cornerlight...
Never by a PPC without the replacement guarantee. :)

Foo Fighter
06-18-2002, 03:14 PM
No broken promises! No changed deadlines.

I keep getting conflicting stories on ETA. I don't know what to believe anymore! 8O

By the way, are there any early reviews of this product?

trapper
06-18-2002, 06:58 PM
JonnoB is correct. The Ipaq needs to have 2 slots and 1 needs to be CF. They made a huge mistake initially by not including a CF slot but apparently haven't learned. They could have crushed the rest of the market but are probably going to be crushed themselves because of a stupid decision made several years ago and a refusal to ignore what the market has told them ever since. If the screen of the Toshiba 550G is decent that may be the new big seller.

klinux
06-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Built-in support for BT but not for Wi-Fi? What was HP thinking?

Duncan
06-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Foo Fighter asked:By the way, are there any early reviews of this product? - it's funny you should ask that... 8)

mhowie
06-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Heck, from Ingram Micro the wholesale cost is $30 higher so we're going with the direct Compaq shipments for now.

Larry[/quote]

Larry,

I appreciate the candor with respect to info shared relating to the cost your firm is seeing on this unit.

A couple of questions for everyone...

1) Will there be an extended battery pack (replacement) like the current Jornadas which can be switched "on the fly"?

2) Will sleeves for the 36xx and 37xx series iPAQs work on this unit (specifically the CF sleeve)?

Thanks,

st63z
06-20-2002, 02:13 PM
I think I just put two-and-two together about the iPAQ 3900 and universal remote control :) :

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2871473,00.html

I also saw this earlier:

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-937040.html

Sounds like it's not just some half-hearted implementation/execution of consumer IR application. Hopefully this will be good. Too bad MS missed their chance of migrating their (defunct) consumer electronics remote control dev team to the PPC team...