View Full Version : ATI IMAGEON™100

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 04:20 PM
<a href="http://www.ati.com/technology/hardware/imageon100/index.html">http://www.ati.com/technology/hardware/imageon100/index.html</a><br /><br />I hadn't seen this particular page on the Imageon 100 before - it has the usual marketing blab...<br /><br />"The new generation of handheld devices demand more advanced graphics capabilities. Higher resolution color panels, higher performance embedded processors, increased internal and removable storage capabilities, and the deployment of higher bit-rate wireless technologies such as WLAN, 2.5G, and 3G are all part of the revolution in handheld and mobile communication devices. Until now, no solution has been available which can provide the combination of powerful graphics and advanced power-saving technology needed for this exploding marketplace."<br /><br />...but this one item on the spec list caught my attention:<br /><br />"Use of embedded memory as a frame buffer for standard PDA resolutions and an integrated memory controller for support of external SDRAM for resolutions up to 640 x 480 at a color depth of 16bpp."<br /><br />This chip is capable of doubling the current Pocket PC resolution from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480. Are we getting to that point yet? Should we double the resolution? What do you think?

bchristian
06-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Actually, it is quadrupling the resolution. :)

Timothy Rapson
06-17-2002, 05:25 PM
I think it's time for a 480 by 640 screen. That is what the $500+ PPC models ought to have. An entry level PDA that is just used for a few notes or basic stuff is OK at QVGA, but even Sony Clies now have half VGA on 66 MZ systems.

If PPCs are going to be full laptop replacements they need VGA. I should think a 400+ MZ model could handle it and it would make them much more attractive for picture taking and editing. You would finally have real practical web browsing, and full use of the new plug-ins and desktop utilities like Shock Wave (what is that viewer that just arrived for PPC?) and Adobe stuff.

I don't really think we will see it though. The race is on to lower prices and the QVGA controllers are built-in on the latest ARMS. A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life. All this at a time when PPC sales are down. Nope.

Sure would be nice, though.

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Actually, it is quadrupling the resolution. :)

Well...yes. 8) I don't think that most people think in terms of effective pixels - they just look at the numbers

320 x 240 = 78,600 pixels
640 x 480 = 307,200 pixels

Resolution increase of 390.8% :lol:

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 05:30 PM
A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life. All this at a time when PPC sales are down. Nope.

Ah, but remember Timothy that some Pocket PCs we'll see this year will have the ATI chip built-in already.

I keep getting conflicing reports on the e740 though - some say the ATI chip on on the device, others say the chip is on the VGA-output add-on.

Mark (NL)
06-17-2002, 06:01 PM
. A separate video chip to do VGA is probably going to costs more in money, size, and battery life.

Actually batttery life would benefit from a seperate graphics processor... size shouldn't be a problem since the chip is not that large and cost well... maybe it would add a little, but in mass production these kind of chips don't cost much either... SO please vendors, go for this &lt;g> I'm just afraid that the LCD's at quadrupple capability will become quite a lot more expensive :( :(

Nice to keep dreaming though :P :P

PJE
06-17-2002, 06:02 PM
Having used my iPaq for quite some time now, I feel the software is being limited by the screen size/resolution, as all the new browsers quoting advanced algorithms to squeeze pages into 240x320 proves...

My next device will need a higher resolution screen, preferably switchable between portrait and landscape... PocketPC Pro anyone.

If this style of device doesn't come out before the OQO (or similar) then I'd probably jump to that device as it allows me to use my standard software :D

As it is the new Sony CLIE PEG-NR70(V) wipes the floor (RAM/CPU excepted) with my iPaq (at least for hardware desirability), and the ARM version is going to give the PocketPC a serious run for its money.

My 2c

PS. Why stop at 480x640... :wink:

TMAN
06-17-2002, 06:33 PM
This Detailed Techinical Spec states that the e740 has an ATI graphics controller.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/pocketpc_to_e740.pdf

denethor
06-17-2002, 08:50 PM
This Detailed Techinical Spec states that the e740 has an ATI graphics controller.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/pocketpc_to_e740.pdf
Ohhh god! Somthing crazy will happend by the end of the year...Wait and see!

Sslixtis
06-17-2002, 09:03 PM
I hate to say no thanks but, no thanks. The only way I need things on my screen to be smaller is if someone can get me Bionic eye implants! The only problem I have with better resolution is the smaller images you get. On a 3.5" screen they are already a pain for my poor eyes. The solution may lie in making it scaleable/rotatable screen (or one of those cool rollable screens like in the EFC Globals :lol: ). I WOULD like more colors though, 65k is a bit limiting. The screen size is one reason I was ecstatic about the Toshiba(Audiovox) e550G coming to the US, the 4" screen is very, very nice as long as I can get an extended replacement battery I'll be in Heaven! Anyway, wasn't there a rumor that the HP iPaq is going to get a resolution boost in 2003?

portus
06-17-2002, 09:26 PM
I jsut found out Toshiba posted two new files in the support area for the e740. Both appear to be related to ATI Presentation pack (one for the binary/driver, one for documentation)

I wonder is this contains the update for the eargerly awaited ATI Imageon 100 graphics controller driver for the e740? Can someone please confirm this?

Jason Dunn
06-17-2002, 09:36 PM
I hate to say no thanks but, no thanks. The only way I need things on my screen to be smaller is if someone can get me Bionic eye implants!

No, no, think outside the box for a minute. :-) More pixels by default means smaller, yes, but that can easily be overcome by having larger fonts, icons, etc. You can run XP at 1600 x 1200 but with bigger fonts and icons. Net result? Everything looks insanely crisp and clear, but everything is easy to see.

rubberdemon
06-17-2002, 11:16 PM
Definitely! I have a Toshiba 5000 laptop, and it's working at 1600X1200 with a 15" screen. Everything is very sharp indeed, especially with Cleartype.

Anyway, doing the math, this quality LCD would almost give you a 4" PDA panel at 640x480, so I imagine it's technically quite possible. I would love to see a VGA PDA - just for web browsing alone it would be worth it.

I guess the only question is - can PPC 2002 or its successors support more than QVGA? Sony managed to hack the Palm OS to support its higher res, but I know that lots of apps run wonky or large and blocky as they don't support higher resolutions...

ChrisD
06-18-2002, 01:00 AM
I met with ATI at CES. I wrote this article about what I saw http://www.cewindows.net/reviews/ati-imageon.htm

Check out the comments about MPEG4 video. That's an example of how this chip will improve the performance of the system.

st63z
06-18-2002, 07:38 AM
Whaddya know, I'd wondered about this myself not too long ago :)

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1680#12955

I imagine the underlying WinCE (.NET) is very versatile in resolution and GUI sizing support (as it needs to support vastly different devices), maybe even more so than the desktop Windows OSes? But the PPC team probably needs to do some serious overhauling...

But in terms of hardware, such screens must obviously exist as there are devices using 4" VGA screens already (or rather, coming soon, I guess?). OQO, that WinCE unit with the Bluetooth mic/speaker stick thingie, etc... And I think we all read announcements from IBM, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc, about 200ppi screens (approaching paper-like quality)...