View Full Version : new pda

cue_ball
06-13-2002, 07:22 PM
I have a HP jornada 548 and I was wondering if for a new pda I should get an ipaq or a jornada 560 series : Or should I get a handheld. What I use it for is a way to keeps notes, play games when bored, keep phone numbers and listen to mp3s. Could you please tell me which one is better and why?

Martin I Pettinger
07-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I have just purchased an iPAQ 3850. A colleague at work has a Jornada 540.

My colleague has thought about selling his PPC2000 Jornada and upgrading to a PPC2002 iPAQ 3850. However I have pointed out that his Jornada has a CF (Compact Flash) slot which my iPAQ doesn't have.

My colleague wants to listen to mp3's on his Jornada but he only has 16Mb of RAM. In terms of increasing storage CF cards are much cheaper than SD cards in the UK.

One thing I cannot comment on as I didn't have headphones at the time is how good the mp3 playback was on the Jornada. I have read that the mp3 playback on the iPAQ is particularly good.

Without more information it is difficult for me to comment further but I am not sure why you want to upgrade. Personally I would wait 6 months to see how the new xScale devices compare.

Hope my post is of some use. It is my first post in this forum as I only registered today.

PC Boy
07-07-2002, 02:41 AM
I would stay with the iPAQ form. It has more options as far as expansion goes! The sleeves work on all series models (36xxx, 37xx, 38xx, 39xx) so you will have choices no matter which model you go with! By the way, you can use an MMC card (cheaper too) than a CF card but I think the most memory for MMC is still 64megs! Audio is very nice on the iPAQ series as well! The volume is very loud too!

Thinkingmandavid
07-07-2002, 02:40 PM
I think you will get more of a variety of options wiht the Ipac than with the HP. The expansion sleeve being the obvious reason for this. but ultimately go wiht what feels good inyour hands and you enjoy using the most andare comfortable with. Always check befor eyou buy what options you will have in the future for your device.

dcharles18
07-07-2002, 03:57 PM
By the way, you can use an MMC card (cheaper too) than a CF card

Not so, CF is much cheaper. Also, you can purchase an extra batter for the 560 series which allows you to use an MMC/SD card as well.

If you are set on purchasing a new device there are definately more accessories available for the ipaqs (cases, chargers, etc . . .). However, in light of what you said you use it for, what's wrong with your 540? Or do you just have an urge for a new toy? :wink:

PC Boy
07-07-2002, 04:47 PM
By the way, you can use an MMC card (cheaper too) than a CF card

Not so, CF is much cheaper. Also, you can purchase an extra batter for the 560 series which allows you to use an MMC/SD card as well.

My Bad.... I ment to say that MMC was cheaper then SD. Sorry 'bout that!

Rod3
07-07-2002, 09:17 PM
I know all these reasons are intensely personal, but I've just got to put in my 2 cents :wink:
To me, the Jornada is very much preferable to the iPAQ because of the form factor and the built-in CF card. I also have the mmc battery. None of this makes it a large PDA.
(I love my Jornada :oops: )

spursdude
07-08-2002, 01:00 AM
if you're looking for form factor, you can also look at the toshiba (audiovox maybe) models.

the audiovox maestro has a great form, and cf and sd slots. only $300 from compusa when i got it. good luck finding one, though.

or, you could look at the toshiba e740 - nice form, cf and sd slots, and wifi also, for $600. it matches some of the ipaq 3800s in price, and has wifi and the cf and sd slots.

Thinkingman
07-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Hello, I am soon to buy an audiovox, probably today, It fits my needs. I currently am a Revo user and love it, but I am looking at that ppc. It is good price, SD, CF, and right size and looks.
I had earlier said the Ipaq was a good choice and it is. But it was also asked what was wrong with yours and if you were itching to just get a new pda:) well if you just want a new one buy one:)
All of the ppcs mentioned will get the job done and I think we can all agree that in the end, if it suits your needs, then that is the one to buy.
I am a believer in expandability option, but price is more important and being realistic as well:) :wink:

dcharles18
07-08-2002, 05:30 PM
My Bad.... I ment to say that MMC was cheaper then SD. Sorry 'bout that!

No Problem! :wink:

ppcsurfr
07-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Aha! PDABuzzers on the loose.

Anyway I do have a Jornada 568 and I like it because I can get the CF cards cheaper and I can also plug-in a CF modem or a CF Bluetooth card, or if I get one, a CF VGA card out so I can do presentations via a Pocket PC and an LCD projector. So in a way the CF slot gives me more options without requiring a PC or a CF sleeve.

mv
07-10-2002, 02:04 AM
consider the toshiba e310. It´slimmer than all the others! and with SD slot.

spg
07-10-2002, 03:14 AM
consider the toshiba e310. It´slimmer than all the others! and with SD slot.
I agree, the e310 is a very nice PDA. Much thinner than any of the others, but with the same performance punch.

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 03:28 AM
I agree, the e310 is a very nice PDA. Much thinner than any of the others, but with the same performance punch.

Actually it is about the same size as the Acer n20, though that device hasn't hit shelves quite yet. Has an XScale and twice the RAM of the e310.

Thinkingman
07-10-2002, 08:14 AM
They may be the same size but what is the cost differene. I think that is something of importance.

Dave Conger
07-10-2002, 07:13 PM
I never said it was the same price...haha, they would go like hotcakes if they were the same price. I was just pointing out that there is in fact at least one other device that should be available soon that has a similar formfactor.