View Full Version : ZDNet UK reviews 02 XDA

Jason Dunn
06-13-2002, 03:05 PM
<a href="http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/2/2/1359.html">http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/2/2/1359.html</a><br /><br />The 02 XDA did pretty well in this review - 7.6 out of 10. Curiously, the article doesn't list much in the way of negatives, which makes me wonder how the reviewer arrived at 7 out of 10 for the bundled applications. Out of the box, the Pocket PC has more apps than any PDA I'm aware of.<br /><br />"The xda's key selling point is, obviously, that it takes the standard Pocket PC 2002 features and adds communications features. It’s not the first Pocket PC/cellphone convergence device we’ve seen: Sagem’s WA3050 and Trium’s Mondo did the job with mono-screened devices last year, while Siemens introduced colour with its SX45. But none of that trio of devices was particularly satisfactory. They were relatively bulky, software integration was limited, and their use was not an altogether pleasant experience. The xda is in another league: its communications features are integrated in Microsoft’s latest version of Pocket PC 2002; it can take advantage of the faster communications speeds offered by GPRS; and it is a superb piece of design." Source: <a href="http://www.flashenabled.com/mobile">pt</a>

dochall
06-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Well it does do better than any of the other pda/phone combos they have previously looked at. I think the problem here has been the lead time and expectations in comparison to other PPC devices not necessarily the competition from other platforms.

The XDA is exciting for me but I wouldn't buy one. I cannot do the things that I expect to be able to do on PPC device. Firstly it's limited to 32mb - I wouldn't buy a PPC with only 32mb. A single SD slot is going to be used for a mem card. No other expansion options mean that I can't present with a Voyager card, I can't connect to WIFI.

The 4096 colour display is also a limiting factor when compared to the current crop of PPC devices.

To get a ten I think we should have (in addition to the XDA specs):

-64mb RAM min
-65k colour screen
-CF expansion options - I actually like the jacket/sled concepts giving me the option of a thinner device for when I need a phone/filofax/web device and a fully functional pocket computer when I don't.
- Ideally WIFI on board.
- The ability to automatically switch between WIFI/GPRS would be welcome. Checking mail as I leave the office and being able to seamlessy continue to do so as get on the bus.
- Bluetooth - Bit of a moot point on this board but if you have used a decent BT headset in conjunction with a BT phone you don't want to go back.
- All this with a battery life which can't be a great deal less than the current 3.5htalk/150hstandby - when compared to say a t68 this is already on the low side (12htalk/390hrstandby)

Finally I think that the XDA is caught on the Xscale cusp. Although the reviewer mentions that the SA206mhz is standard - a lot of potential buyers are going to shy away as Xscale devices are starting to become a reality.

That said I don't think it will be a reason for a whole raft of people to be introduced to the PPC platform and I am sure it will do well. However ZDnet reviews aren't completed by an average punter looking for a new phone and the average phone buyers don't tend to read this board.

T_Scheen
06-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Well, my iPaq also "only" has 4096 colours but that never presented a problem to me. All good picture-viewers include a more than satisfactory dithering function.

Wit regards to 32 MB RAM: I agree, that's not enough - but there is the SD-slot as you stated correctly.

Connectivity: Even the iPaq with Wireless-pack extension can't give you mobile-phone and Wireless Lan at the same time. You have to go with that ugly/bulky/expensive TDK-extension.
Tell me: What do you need BT for if GSM/GPRS is already integrated into the XDA ?

Xscale: Don't rush into fast conclusions as long as there are no apps/games programmed for these processor types. Users will have to wait another 3 months until the first units hit the market and another 9 to 12 months until all major apps are optimised for these beasts.

Conclusion: I still think that the XDA is THE PPC of the moment in all aspects, unfortunately quite expensive regarding the fact that you probably have to pay an extra fee to get rid of the O2 SIM-Lock.

Thomas Scheen

dochall
06-14-2002, 12:21 PM
First of all my comments assume the user is familiar with what's happening in the PPC marketplace. (not that I am suggesting you're not).

BT - as I stated I use a bt headset virtually all the time. The convenience factor of no wires is not something I would want to give up. TBH that is the only reason I would like to see it. Printing without line of site, desktop connectivity, etc. I could do with WIFI presuming I had either it built in or had the CF jacket on.

32mb - Yes I can extend it using the SD card but I just like to have a lot of apps which don't rely on an external memory device. With my 3870 I am selective about what goes where.

4096 - Agreed and it doesn't look too bad, but the market is about specs as much as anything else.

However i think the point about both memory and screen is that I am being asked to buy a lower spec device than alternatives that I could buy. While I may choose to do this I would prefer not to have the compromise.

WIFI - You are of course right that the GSM/gprs sleeve stops me from doing both simultaneously. This isn't my chosen option, however, I am quite happy with a third party dialler and BT phone (520 in my case). I can therefore still have a CF jacket in place and do both without changing jackets.

Xscale - the machines are making their way to market. Fair enough software will be slower but I wouldn't consider buying another SA processor because well before the end of it's life I will have software that can take advantage of it.

So nice idea but I believe it will struggle with dedicated PPC users because it asks for too many compromises against the increased functionality. I do think it will do well but not a ten by any stretch of the imagination.

T_Scheen
06-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Bluetooth Headsets: OK there is the advantage of not having to struggle with cables. But there is another aspect why I would never opt for a device like this:
I can only speak for the country/area I live in (Belgium) but walking around with a BT-phoneset in puplic or in company, makes you look like a real clown. It gives a very negative and arrogant impression. Don't ask me why but it's just like that.

Thomas Scheen