View Full Version : Inbox/Contact email address problem?

Ed Hansberry
06-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Have any of you seen this issue? It generally happens with those that have an Exchange server behind Outlook, though I suppose Notes users could be susceptible. The internet email address for internal users in your contacts gets munged. For a contact with "[email protected]" for the email, it will periodically get changed to "/o=CompanydomainE2K/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=ehansberry." You never notice it until you try to send an email, and of course it bombs. The "/o=CompanydomainE2K...." address is how Exchange sees the user, but why would that be coming back to the Contacts field?

dondiego
06-07-2002, 06:49 PM
I didn't notice this so much until I upgraded to Outlook XP. Now it happens all the time. The workaround is to never cut and paste an email address from a message. Retype it into your new contact and you shouldn't have a problem.

Ed Hansberry
06-07-2002, 07:16 PM
I didn't notice this so much until I upgraded to Outlook XP. Now it happens all the time. The workaround is to never cut and paste an email address from a message. Retype it into your new contact and you shouldn't have a problem.
No, it has happened to me several times since upgrading to Outlook XP, and on contacts I've had for 1-2 years.

Jason Lee
06-07-2002, 08:08 PM
It is an especially irritating problem when exporting to .csv for import to a web address book.

Brad Adrian
06-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Happens to me all the time. However, I sometimes notice it in Contacts.

marlof
06-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Yes, I have this too. Win98, OL2000, Exchange # not sure.

ahovis
06-07-2002, 09:14 PM
In addition to the problem being addressed, I have mail in my inbox which I am unable to delete that has long since been removed from my exchange server. Anyone know how to delete these messages?

Jeff Rutledge
06-08-2002, 05:27 AM
This happens to me all the time. I've determined why it happens (to me anyways) and a workaround.

It only happens to me when I synchronize an Exchange contact while working offline. If I'm online, it synchronizes as the correct internet email address. If I'm offline, it's the long name (I think it's called X400, but I'm not sure). At any rate, to fix it, you just have to change something on the record (on the PC) and re-sync. As this happens only to those contacts from work (as they have Exchange addresses), they're all in one Category. I just View my Contacts in Outlook by Category and then expand that one Category. I then select them all and right click, selecting Categories. I've created a Category called Sync which I then check. This applies the new Category to all the entries and then re-syncs them all with the proper email address. Then (because I'm nitpicky), I repeat to remove the extra Category.

Don't know if this helps or not, but it works for me.

Rob Alexander
06-08-2002, 05:53 AM
It's weird the way it handles these things, but I've found that Activesync translates my Outlook entries when it moves them onto the PPC if I enter them in a particular way.

When I'm in desktop Outlook, I open or create the contact entry, go to the email field and tell it to browse. I select the person from the global address list and let it provide the info it wants. In my contact form, it only shows the person's name there, but in Pocket Outlook it shows the person's email address and I never get this problem you guys are talking about.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, as I haven't really invesitgated it, but this works for me without that error.

Carlos
06-08-2002, 08:54 AM
I work for a company that makes Outlook-based software. We've found some oddities like this that of course break our software. This particular issue seems to be related to the order of your settings in Tools/Services and then on the "addressing" tab. I can't remember the specifics, but it had to do with having one source be set to show first while the other was set to resolve first.

Pony99CA
06-08-2002, 09:46 AM
In addition to the problem being addressed, I have mail in my inbox which I am unable to delete that has long since been removed from my exchange server. Anyone know how to delete these messages?

I had this happen, too. I got a freeware Pocket PC database editor utility (dbView (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://ppcf.mklabs.com/index_mobile.php%3Fmode%3Dsoft%26soft%3D152&prev=/%20search%3Fq%3Ddbview%2Bmagenic%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26%3Cbr%20/%3Eie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG) by Kenny Goers), found the database that stored the E-mail (check the "fldr" databases), and deleted it there.

Steve

Pony99CA
06-08-2002, 09:51 AM
It only happens to me when I synchronize an Exchange contact while working offline. If I'm online, it synchronizes as the correct internet email address. If I'm offline, it's the long name (I think it's called X400, but I'm not sure).

I thought those looked like X.400 addresses.

I'm no networking expert, but I think X.400 was created as a standard for E-mail addresses. Unfortunately, they are extremely long compared to your basic Internet E-mail addresses. I have no idea what advantages they provide -- possibly they are useful for people on non-TCP/IP networks.

Steve