View Full Version : Option Globetrotter In North America

Marcus
06-07-2002, 04:34 AM
Hello All. I have just received an Option Globetrotter GSM/GPRS Card. I am probably one of the first in North America. I started this thread in the hopes of Giving/Recieving help with this hopefully Cool card. Here is what I have done so far.

Windows 2000 laptop
Initiated Voice call Susccessfully
Recived Voice call Successfully
Successful GSM (Circuit switched) Data Call
I have NOT however been able to use GPRS yet.

Pocket PC 2002 (Jornada 568 with PC Card expansion)
even though there is no software at this point included to make or receive voice calls (Option tells me it is currently in Beta) I have been able to:
Initiated Voice call Susccessfully using a terminal program
Recived Voice call Successfully also using terminal program
I have also NOT been able to use GPRS yet.

I have been trying for 4 days now to work with FIDO (Microcell) and Option to try and find the problem. At the moment I think that the modem in either not being initialized properly or possibly the modem's GPRS functions are damaged(not as likely).

I would love to hear from anyone who has an OPTION card working or not or any GPRS PCcard. Any info on intialization etc..

Thanks

Arne Hess
06-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Hello All. I have just received an Option Globetrotter GSM/GPRS Card. I am probably one of the first in North America. I started this thread in the hopes of Giving/Recieving help with this hopefully Cool card. Here is what I have done so far.

Pocket PC 2002 (Jornada 568 with PC Card expansion)
even though there is no software at this point included to make or receive voice calls (Option tells me it is currently in Beta) I have been able to:

The Option GlobeTrotter works great with the next coming Running Voice GSM 2.0 interface (find a review here on PPCW.Net:

Option Card: http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/06/10/3786489
Running Voice 2.0: http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/06/10/1282893

and I've used it on different Eurpean GPRS networks successful!

Initiated Voice call Susccessfully using a terminal program
Recived Voice call Successfully also using terminal program
I have also NOT been able to use GPRS yet.
Seems as you have the same problem as some VoiceStream users in the US...
I have been trying for 4 days now to work with FIDO (Microcell) and Option to try and find the problem. At the moment I think that the modem in either not being initialized properly or possibly the modem's GPRS functions are damaged(not as likely).
Maybe you should also check the PPCW.Net Support Forum (http://www.ppcw.net/forum/showforum.php?fid=47) which is also supported/covered by the nice Option folks. Also there reported a US user with GPRS problems in some areas with VoiceStream. Maybe it helps you to get in contact with him. Seems as he did a good investigation and maybe he can pass you the right contacts...

I would love to hear from anyone who has an OPTION card working or not or any GPRS PCcard. Any info on intialization etc..

Marcus
06-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the Info. I just posted a message on the other forum.

I have been trying to get Running Voice 2.0 for a few hours now. The pocket Presence site says it has been released but neither handango nor pocketgear actually hev it yet. I guess because it isn't the 14th in North America yet. I'll check again at midnight :)

Mark

sp660
06-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Running Voice GSM 2.0

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=4179

Regards,

Slawek

Matilda444
09-12-2002, 03:20 AM
I've got an Option Card. Since I read they manufacture the iPAQ GSM/GPRS sleeve, I haven't bothered to try it.

You are having the same issue I have with the iPAQ Jacket. I can use GSM/Voice just fine. Can't figure out the GPRS/Data.

Have you since figured out a solution?

I'm using AT&T's mMode service. MN/FL USA here.

Thanks!!!

yeche
09-12-2002, 08:38 AM
I am using the option modem with win2000 and it is working very good with Gprs
When I try to use it with the Ipaq 3970 it does not working
I am getting connected to the network with the APN but when I am trying to establish dial connection I am getting error that the modem is not answering
I have Running voice 2.0 installed on my Ipaq but cannot get it to work. I have always getting offline message for the network. I send couple of Emails to Pocket Presence but yet I did not received any Email from them

JonnoB
09-12-2002, 09:37 AM
PCMCIA card... blech

Why can't someone put a fully-featured CF card on the market that does all of this? I seem to remember that Pretec was coming out with one?

yeche
09-12-2002, 12:42 PM
I have fixed the connection to Gprs with Option card and Ipaq 3970
The only problem now is to use Running Voice with Option
I am getting Offline Not ready message and no help from them
When I used it with Nokia card I did not face any problems
Anyone have experience using Running Voice 2 with Option card?
What do I missing?