View Full Version : Toshiba e740s are popping up here and there

Jason Dunn
06-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Just to confirm what several people are emailing us about, the Toshiba e740 with the 400 mhz Xscale processor is now showing up in a few stores. It seems that there are three models: one with no wireless built in, one with 802.11b, and one with Bluetooth. No model has both Bluetooth and 802.11b. It seems that Circuit City in the US may be a good place to source one, but I imagine they'll be rare for quite a while. As usual, I'll be the last to see one - it still amazes me that most Pocket PC OEMs completely stonewall me.

Duncan
06-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Well - my hat was a little on the tough side, but with a little ketchup quite palatable... http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1519 :oops:

Still not the device for me but good for those who want the Toshiba.

BTW - release dates for the Loox in France and the UK are available. They ARE on my site - but I'll be a gentleman and point out that it's Jerome's ( www.loox.org) scoop! :wink:

The UK/International English release is due in Week 30 (22 -28 July 2002) and the French release in Week 33 (12 – 18 August 2002) priced at €749.

IpaqMan2
06-06-2002, 01:16 AM
I am actually excited abou the new faster PPCs comming. If anyone happens to get one of these...Please write a review about it! i think the faster processor is welcomed by all inthe PPC community, but would like to know what apps exist today that can take near advantage of that much power? Besides a few games and emulators for the PPC, I would think we may be waiting to see some havey duty apps that could really take advantage of all that raw horsepower.

Jason Dunn
06-06-2002, 01:29 AM
Let me say this much: I've been told that Toshiba found a workaround for the Xscale problems and that the issues with the chip still remain. I wish I knew more, but I've seen a "production ready" Xscale device and the speed difference wasn't noticable in the slightest. :-( We won't know the truth for several months, but I remain convinced that the fact that Toshiba has an Xscale device out now doesn't alter the fact that the Xscale CPU has some issues that are still being worked out.

Timothy Rapson
06-06-2002, 02:29 AM
I guess I have some crow to eat, too. I am flabberghasted. I was 100% sure Compaq would ship first.

st63z
06-06-2002, 04:26 AM
Shoot, I was just at a Circuit City earlier today but didn't check the PDA section.

As usual, the employees made a target straight for you as soon as you walk in the door, so I got my business done quickly and would've felt funny hanging around afterwards looking around at other sections :)

I forget which one the e740 is, I'll have to check the archives...

mar2k
06-06-2002, 04:51 AM
Any details on the XScale's problems. Is the chip not performing to the levels that Intel promised or is it just cripple by the PPC 2002 OS which is not fully optimized for the new chips? Or is it power issues?

I personally don't think that I could buy one of these right now until I know the full deal. Besides, the e740 hitting the market will only make models using the 206MHz StrongARM chips cheaper. Why pay a premium if you are not going to see any improvement in performance?

Dave Conger
06-06-2002, 07:43 PM
... a workaround for the Xscale problems...

Has Intel not had enough time to fix the XScale bugs? They are so far behind schedule anyways, I would have though would have at least tried to get most of the major kinks worked out.

ChrisD
06-06-2002, 10:31 PM
I've got a story that helps explain why the XScale won't make a huge difference - http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/pocketpcstaving.htm

Let me say this much: I've been told that Toshiba found a workaround for the Xscale problems and that the issues with the chip still remain. I wish I knew more, but I've seen a "production ready" Xscale device and the speed difference wasn't noticable in the slightest. :-( We won't know the truth for several months, but I remain convinced that the fact that Toshiba has an Xscale device out now doesn't alter the fact that the Xscale CPU has some issues that are still being worked out.

Dave Conger
06-07-2002, 07:59 AM
I've got a story that helps explain why the XScale won't make a huge difference - http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/pocketpcstaving.htm

That is a great article Chris. Good job of breaking it down! You taught me a thing or two.

drchuck
06-10-2002, 09:09 PM
I just discovered this seller that has access to the new e740 PDAs (and promptly bought 2)... "Alexecom" <[email protected]>

Very nice people.