View Full Version : Jornada 928 not quite dead yet

Jason Dunn
05-29-2002, 06:24 PM
I wanted to confirm that the HP Jornada 928 will be released in Europe. I heard this from an HP representative, so I believe it to be accurate. There is no version planned for North American GSM bands, and no CDMA version ever went into production. I don't know what the timeline will be for release, or if they'll limit the number produced, but it will come out.

Arne Hess
05-29-2002, 06:37 PM
I wanted to confirm that the HP Jornada 928 will be released in Europe. I heard this from an HP representative
Something I can confirm too, I got this information from the New HP here in Europe too. YES :lol: we will get it... :P
I know Brad, we have everything, except the Fun Pack... :(

Duncan
05-29-2002, 08:03 PM
So - any idea why the (apparent) backtrack? Is it because of commitments made to European mobile companies? :?

atsouch
05-29-2002, 09:29 PM
I hope it will be finally available. I postponed buying 568 when I saw 928 in Hannover.

Jason Dunn
05-29-2002, 09:44 PM
So - any idea why the (apparent) backtrack? Is it
because of commitments made to European mobile companies? :?

No facts, just my hunch:

1) The hardware was largely in place, so it's a small step for them to release the hardware.

2) They have a unique product that they can bring to market rapidly, Compaq has no competing product ready to go, and they ultimately are betting that they can make some money at it

I do think that they won't produce quite as many as originally planned as well - the Jornada line is being deep sixed, and they don't want to extend it for longer than they have to.

dunneldeen
05-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Who would want to buy a product that is potentially End-of-Life the day it is released?

marlof
05-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Me! I want that product! Because I held it, and I loved what I saw! It does what I want it to do, and I don't care too much if it's successor will be the same or different. And I hope the Jornada connectors work, so I can use my current chargers, Stowaway keyboard etc. But even when not: I want, I want, I want.

Paragon
05-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Who would want to buy a product that is potentially End-of-Life the day it is released?

I'm having a hard time grasping the reality of this statement. I have heard it many times lately, and I just don't get it.

Yes HP has said that the Jornada will no longer be produced. However it will still be supported. Any necessary accessories for it is are still available. It has an internal CF slot, a PC card adapter, as well as an MMC (maybe SD) adapter. Any future accessories will surely fit into one of those slots. It has a form factor that so far anything announced has not repeated. It is one of the best PPCs available on the market today. It has an ARM based processor so any software produced for the foreseable future will work on it.

In the next few weeks as Xscale devices are announce I wonder how many PPC 2002 devices will be joining it as they are dropped for the newer Xscale devices. Even the 3800 series Ipaq won't last past this next release.

The Jornada is as viable today as it was May 6th.

Try buying a desktop computer and getting home before it is "end of life"

Although I could just be one of the lucky ones, since mine is still working, and here it is almost a month past it 'end of life'

Oh and Marlof I want an HP928 as well. IF you hear that they do decide to ship them in Canada please let me know.

Dave

brntcrsp
05-30-2002, 12:15 AM
I too have been peved with this sort of attitude. The recently announced CDMA pack is a perfect example of it. Already in many expansion manufacturers' minds the Jornada is already dead. Ths ignores the fact that there already exists thousands of current users would would purchase the accesories. I guess the percieved cost of bringing an expansion to market, and the fact that there is a finite number of users would persued them to withhold their product from market. I still see this as a poor decision. But I don't know the costs of manufacturing, nor the expected profit returns. C'est la vie.

jsmanrique
05-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Hello,

At least, there is there:
http://www.moravia-consulting.cz/english/index.html

It is the company that provides HP calculators for Europe, it is HP logistic center for Europe.

have fun,