View Full Version : Motorola: Microsoft is finally going to get it right.

Ed Hansberry
05-22-2002, 07:23 PM
<a href="http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-920395.html">http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-920395.html</a><br /><br />An interesting article on how new Palm devices will get double the power savings from new ARM chips, though I think it ignores other items, like backlights, color screens, etc., that won't get power benefits because of a processor change. X-Scale Pocket PC's should also enjoy similar CPU power savings, but time will tell as those devices are finally released. &lt;!><br /><br />What caught Foo Figher's eye though was the last paragraph. "While Motorola still expects Palm to lead the handheld market in two years' time, Motorola's Harper noted that the company isn't limiting its options, tailoring its MX line to work with Symbian OS, Linux and Windows CE as well as Palm. "Microsoft is finally going to get it right. They're going to come up with a device profile that allows Pocket PC to get some volumes," Harper said."<br /><br />So, can we expect to see lower end Pocket PC's powered by Motroloa ARM chips? I hope so. Competition drives down prices.

angelseye2000
05-24-2002, 01:47 PM
deleted again.

what was the problem this time? not related? your positive comment on sony working with palm?

am curious?

Jason Dunn
05-24-2002, 03:35 PM
This is probably a good time to go over why a post would be deleted:

1) If it's WAY off topic (we not THAT picky, but if the post has zero to do with the topic, it should be posted as a new topic in Just Chatting or another appropriate forum)
2) If it republishing content en mass from another site
3) If it contains objectionable content, language, flames, images, etc.
4) If it's a commercial announcement for your site/product (we'll normally try to move them into the Announcement forum, but if we can't, we'll delete it and ask you to re-post in the Announcement forum)

I didn't see your post, but I assume that it falls into one of those categories in some fashion. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Ed Hansberry
05-24-2002, 03:59 PM
deleted again.

what was the problem this time? not related? your positive comment on sony working with palm?

am curious?

Angelseye,

Your first post was about Sony working with Palm on the OS 5 API. I emailed you privately about this - it does not belong in this thread. As Jason suggested, one of the chatrooms would be appropriate for it, or if you feel that it is newsworthy and should get a front page posting, submit it to [email protected].

The second post was simply requoting what I had said at PDABuzz on said Sony collaboration with Palm. Again, that has nothing to do with Motorola making ARM chips and possible sales to Pocket PC OEM's.

I am the absolute last person to complain about thread drift and off topic posts on occassion ;-) but thread drift is on thing. Changing the topic completely is different, falls under Jason's #1 above. That is what the "NEW TOPIC" button is for in the various forums here. :)

angelseye2000
05-27-2002, 10:09 AM
I just find it weird that my post has been deleted because "it does not belong in this thread"?

The thread you posted here on 22 may tells us "Motorola: Microsoft is finally going to get it right" when the article Headline is "Next-gen Palms double battery life" and the content is about Palm New OS version 5.0 (vs Pocket PC OS). (Why not use a Palm headline?).

Next-gen Palms double battery life
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-920395.html

So you are picking a subject from the article. Fine by me. But if i post a related article about Palm OS 5.0 my post get deleted?

Regarding the next Palm operating system.
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-920760.html

So if you thread said something like "Update on Palm OS 5.0" then my article would be granted?

Find this very weird Ed?

Ed Hansberry
05-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Find this very weird Ed?

My whole point was that one paragraph, so yes, anything else from that article would be off topic. Consider the posts the topic and what the thread should be about.

For example, my "He shoots... he SCORES" thread a few days ago. It was about the Jornada being used to track information. If you then posted about a basketball team and a call you didn't like, just because the article referenced basketball, your post would still be off topic.

I don't really care what the article is about when I focus on one minor point in the article. The thing that prompted the post was motorola's interest in MS's OS. If that para had been missing, I never would have linked to the article at all. I could care less about speculation on Palm's battery life, and Sony working on OS5 API's are at least as irrelevant.

Understand now?

angelseye2000
05-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Find this very weird Ed?

My whole point was that one paragraph, so yes, anything else from that article would be off topic. Consider the posts the topic and what the thread should be about.

For example, my "He shoots... he SCORES" thread a few days ago. It was about the Jornada being used to track information. If you then posted about a basketball team and a call you didn't like, just because the article referenced basketball, your post would still be off topic.

I don't really care what the article is about when I focus on one minor point in the article. The thing that prompted the post was motorola's interest in MS's OS. If that para had been missing, I never would have linked to the article at all. I could care less about speculation on Palm's battery life, and Sony working on OS5 API's are at least as irrelevant.

Understand now?

"Understand now?" lol. What's so difficult to 'understand'? It has nothing to with understanding. It has to do with different interpretations.

Trying to compare apples with peers?

"He shoots... he SCORES": Jordana-basketball?
VS.
2 articles about Palm (OS 5.0: just with different headlines)?

"The thing that prompted the post was motorola's interest in MS's OS." Yep, and i promted about Palm OS 5.0 in the both Palm articles.

understand now?

p.s But could it be that you are one of the editors so you can delete everything you want?