View Full Version : The Micro Innovations Wireless Link Keyboard

docangle
05-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Personal Review:

One annoying problem with most PDA Keyboards is the use of proprietary connectors, so that people like myself who tend to upgrade often are stuck having to buy keyboard after keyboard (I currently have about 4 keyboards laying around my computer bone-yard.) Pocketop had designed a keyboard, and Micro Innovations is distributing it that should solve this problem. The keyboard when folded is slightly smaller than the Stowaway Keyboard, it has a metal exterior and uses Infrared instead of a proprietary serial connector. This allows you to use this device with most Palm and PocketPC devices that have an Infrared port.

The Keyboard comes with a stand that you set your PDA on and has a plastic mirror on top to reflect the infrared beam to the keyboard. One unique feature is that the stand can be hinged to the keyboard so that it can be carried around easily. They keys are smaller than the Stowaway, and there are no dedicated numeric keys on top. The keys are shaped in away that after a little work you can type at a fairly good rate. The keyboard also has dedicated function keys for launching apps and some unique functions to launch Pocket Word and Excel (using ‘Function’ + W or E.) Even though this keyboard does not have dedicated Numeric keys, it does have a ‘Num’ key that can be locked, you can enter numbers by the using the top row of keys, or the traditional J,K,L type numeric keypad. The tactile feel of the keyboard is about the same as the Stowaway, except that it seems to have a more solid feel, as this device is split into two sections, and not three.

I currently have an Ipaq 3765 and a HP 568, the keyboard seems to work well with both devices with some caveats. First, the Ipaq does not seem to work that well with a sleeve attached, as the mirror is not long enough and the signal tends to get blocked. The HP 568 needs to have the flip cover removed as it tends to block the mirror, but still works with the PC Card sled or extended battery attached.

There is a work around for above problems, just use the keyboard with the stand still attached to the keyboard, extend out the stands foot on the back, and use either Nyditot Display or JS Landscape, and place the device on the stand sideways. This seems to work really well, and you do not need to extend the mirror on the stand, as the Infrared ports are all ready lined up with each other. With the keyboard opened and flat you can even slide the stand to the left and it will keep the keyboard locked open (be careful to slide the stand to the right before you try to close it.) You can also use the Landscape software to flip the screen upside down so that the Infrared port is pointing towards you, and you would not need the stand at all. The only problem is that I found the glare from my office lighting made the screen to hard to read.

The included software does allow for you to customize the Application keys, text macros and date and time insertion. The only problem is that this software was created with Visual Basic Embedded, and the install size is quite large, especially if you have not previously installed the required DLL’s.

Pros:
Smaller than the Stowaway keyboard
No need to keep upgrading keyboards with new device purchase
Good Construction Quality

Cons:
Can’t use Sleeves or flip covers, unless you have landscaping software
Smaller keys and no dedicated numeric keys.
Size of the keyboard driver

jkovacs
06-27-2002, 05:24 PM
One more VERY BIG con is that although its marketed as "Universal" it is not. They only have drivers for Palm, iPaq and Jornada. I tried it with several models, including Casio E-200 without success. So, in fact, its not "Universal" at all. :( It doesn't really make much since given that those models already have a myriad of keyboard options. ...Joe K

dstrauss
07-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Sorry about the Casio, but it works great with an Audiovox, which means to me that the Toshiba lineup should work as well (used the Jornada driver - don't know if that makes any difference).

Oh - I forgot - the one "con" of driver size could be a big one - 1.4mb. It does, however, run from the SD card on the Maestro, which stays in all the time on my unit.

Jason Dunn
07-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Cool review - thanks for sharing! I'll point people to this from the front page...

thapamd
07-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Just wondering if it works for the e740. The e740 has the IR port ar the left lower side of the machine. Thanks, in advance.

Mahesh

Sven Johannsen
07-05-2002, 07:02 PM
What powers the keyboard? Rechargeable batteries? Any battery life numbers?

et10yl
07-06-2002, 01:57 AM
I believe it uses 2 AA batteries...

DaleReeck
07-06-2002, 03:17 AM
Just wondering if it works for the e740. The e740 has the IR port ar the left lower side of the machine. Thanks, in advance.

Mahesh

Someone on Brighthand said they tried it with the e740 and it didn't work. Not quite universal.

heyday
07-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Yes it works with IR on the side.... you just have to do one of two things....

1. Use a software that rotates your screen

2. Or use a piece of Aluminum foil to redirect the beam. Works great but personaly I think the keys are just too dang small.

Now when Thinkoutside comes up with a bluetooth version of their keyboard that will be something to get.

heyday

dstrauss
07-06-2002, 10:31 PM
I believe it uses 2 AA batteries...

It uses one AA battery.

As for heydey's thoughts about the bluetooth version of the Stowaway, it's a great idea in theory, but only if you have bluetooth built in. The last thing I want is another card to deal with.

kaiden.1
07-08-2002, 04:54 AM
Saw a thread on mobigeeks site quoting infosync about a new wifi keyboard that is coming out, that should work well with the Toshiba E-740. I would like to see it! No adapters or cards needed there.

tong
07-11-2002, 03:55 PM
It actually uses 1 AAA battery which comes with the package. I just did a review of it, if you want to read, here is the URL...

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/pocketop.htm

dcharles18
07-12-2002, 02:50 AM
I've been curious about these. I think it is a good idea but still has some evolving to do.

mdy6
10-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi,
I have a Toshiba e740, and I installed my wireless link keyboard, and it keeps saying "error finding manufacturer info" :| What should I do?!?! :(

Al
01-12-2005, 05:49 AM
I recently purchased a Micor wireless keyboard on ebay and it's like new except it didn't come with the software. I tried the micro innovations web site but they no longer have the drivers posted. Can anyone help me find it?