View Full Version : Anyone tried the Pretec CompactGPS receiver?

Wackyman
05-18-2002, 02:19 AM
HI, I am wondering if anyone ever tried the Pretec CompactGPS. I don't know about the software, but the hardware spec looks quite interesting and might be superior to other Compact Flash receivers: built-in Li-ion battery to cut down start up time, can be used in laptop with adaptor, altitude info..... Any thoughts? HOw is the Pharos receiver by the way?

Specification:

CompactFlash form factor, CFA Compliant

OEM product development is fully supported

Twelve parallel satellite tracking channels for fast acquisition and reacquisition

Support for true NMEA-0183 v2.2 data protocol

Enhanced algorithms provide superior navigation performance in urban canyon and foliage environments.

Maximum navigation accuracy achievable with the Standard Positioning Service (SPS)

Enhanced TIFF upon power-up when in a keep-alive power condition before start-up

Meets rigid shock and vibration requirements

Automatic altitude hold mode from three-dimensional to two-dimensional navigation

Automatic cold start acquisition process

Built-in Antenna

Power saving mode with trickle power

LED indication for navigation update

Data retention with Li-Ion battery inside

Reversed straight MMCX subminiature, snap-on, coaxial RF jack receptacle

Specifications

Dimensions:

CompactFlash Type I (Main Body): 36.4mm(L) x 42.8mm(W) x 3.3mm(H)

Type I card plus Extender: 85.2mm(L) x 42.8mm(W) x 15.78mm(H)

Product Applications:

Windows CE

Pocket PC

Automotive applications

Marine navigation applications

Aviation applications

Timing applications

Surveying applications

Radio Frequency Signal Environment:

RF Input: 1575.42 MHz (L1 Band) at a level between -130 dBW and -164 dBW to a reversed MMCX high-retention female connector

Burnout Protection: 0dBW signal within a bandwidth of 10MHz centered about the L1 carrier frequency

Time Mark: Once Per Second

Reacquisition:

Hot Start: 8 sec, average

Warm Start: 45 sec, average

Cold Start: 60sec, average

Solution Update Rate: Once per second

Serial Data Output Protocol:

SirF binary serial I/O messages or NMEA-0183 serial I/O messages

Power Consumption:

Operation current: 160mA max

Typical: 80mA

Trickle: 35 mA

Operation power: 0.53W +/- 10%

Environment Conditions:

Operating temperature: 00C to 500C

Humidity: 95%

Altitude: -1000 feet to 60,000 feet

Vehicle Dynamic: 500 m/sec (Max.)

MPSmith
06-09-2002, 02:37 PM
I give the iGPS a thumbs up. I just got it (not the CF version) and have had success. I hear some say that the acqusition time for initial start up can take 10 to 25 minutes, but this has never happened to me. Also, Pharos has recently put a program on their download page that will supposedly correct this problem.

My biggest complaint about the Ostia software that comes with the unit is the accuracy of the driving directions is average at best and the voice is not very easy to understand, unless you are Asian.

I'm glad I got it.

Mike