View Full Version : Toshiba e740 is listed on amazon again but I have a question

ricktakagi
05-16-2002, 08:47 PM
I would love to buy one of the new Toshiba e740 units but I can't figure out what "WLAN capabilities" are exactly. Are they saying that 802.11 is built in? or that you can add a 802.11 CF card? Does anyone know what the deal is on this?

Rick Takagi

Jason Dunn
05-16-2002, 09:18 PM
I'm 99% sure they're saying that with the Bluetooth built-in, you can do wide area network stuff with a Bluetooth LAN access point. No Wifi built-in here...

ricktakagi
05-16-2002, 09:24 PM
That's no fun. I wish it were the other way around. I guess you could have the best of both worlds by using the CF slot for a wifi card.

Rick

Bond
05-29-2002, 01:42 AM
I really don't understand why PDA makers are pushing integrated bluetooth. I personally love the standard, and it would be great for PANs and for file exchange without line of sight. However, I would much rather have integrated wi-fi. The power drain is much more significant as opposed to bluetooth, but they can always have a little switch on the side of the device, as found in many laptops with integrated wi-fi. Also, by integrating it into the device comes the possibility for a better size antenna integrated into the sides of the device, not simply a little piece sticking out of the top (although your hands holding it may limit the reception, the exact placement is the engineer's job).

I think companies would see alot more peopel paying the extra $50 to upgrade to wi-fi built-in, not bluetooth. Until phone makers start making it a standard, bluetooth's adoption rate is going to stay very low. Although that also goes for PDA makers, there's always the option (and what will eventually happen) of having both Wi-Fi and bluetooth. We'll probably have to wait a while for that though.

Just my two cents.

crowfan
05-30-2002, 11:58 PM
I just got an email update on the order I placed at Amazon.com from May 9th for the e740. They said that it is now delayed and will ship sometime from June 8th - June 15th and to expect delivery from June 17th to June 28th...

I will believe it when I see it. But it does look like its getting closer, but I wonder if these are real dates or if Amazon is just guessing or if they have more concrete information from Toshiba. I will feel better when Toshiba makes an announcement...