View Full Version : Error copying mp3 to pocket pc

dchay
05-15-2002, 03:51 PM
I am trying to move some mp3's from my pc to my iPAQ 3800. Unfortunately, even though my activesync tells me that all files are copied (I can even see it in my desktop folder "PocketPC Documents" and through "my computer") I can't get all of them to play on my ipaq. Now, before you think that they aren't really there, hang on: they show up as legit files when browsing my ipaq and I was able to transfer them from my source pc to my pda and then to my work pc and play them off work pc just fine--so they are making the move intact. The files even show up in the ipaq's Media Player, except that when I select one and hit "play" it starts a different song.

I'm not talking about a ton of music here either--I'm loading maybe 4-5
total but only able to play 2-3.

I have tried resetting, clearing out songs and reloading, resyncing, etc.
Any help you wise folks can offer is very appreciated.

Thanks

--Don--

Jason Dunn
05-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Since ActiveSync transfer isn't working, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the MP3 files themselves - try using Windows Media Player 7.1 to transfer and transcode to a WMA file. Give it a try...

lar3ry
05-15-2002, 07:12 PM
I am trying to move some mp3's from my pc to my iPAQ 3800. Unfortunately, even though my activesync tells me that all files are copied (I can even see it in my desktop folder "PocketPC Documents" and through "my computer") I can't get all of them to play on my ipaq.

The MP3 that you are trying to play may be VBR (variable bit-rate). I know that some dedicated MP3 players (like my daughter's RIO) will simply skip over MP3s that are VBR, ignoring their presense. When I found this out, I re-ripped my audio files (since I had the original CDs of course, you won't find ME pirating MP3s...!) so that none of them were VBR.

I don't know what Microsoft's media player will do with VBRs. Try playing the files on your PC (use WinAmp). When it's playing, see if the bit-rate changes constantly. If it does, that might confirm the problem. You'll need to re-encode your MP3.

dchay
05-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Thanks for you input. I don't see any sign that it is a variable bit-rate. I am looking at it's properties and what I see is 256kbps. I can play the mp3 on a WinXP winamp and WinME older winamp. I can play other mp3's, just not some. I guess I could re-rip them, but I'd like to get this figured out.

Thanks!

dchay
05-16-2002, 05:07 PM
I re-ripped at a lower bit rate (160) instead of the 256. This seems to play fine :-) and also takes less memory. I guess I'll leave it at that. Thanks for your help, guys--I appreciate all your input!

seanturner
05-25-2002, 07:14 AM
I've never tried 256K MP3's, but I know 192kb works with PPC.

Janak Parekh
05-27-2002, 04:51 AM
Ahh, 256Kbps is your problem. WMP7.1 skips over any MP3's over 160Kbps by default. Go into the options in WMP, there's an option to play "high bit-rate MP3's". It will warn you that it's not supported, but should work anyway if you turn it on.

BTW, WMP sucks for MP3's. It does play VBR MP3's, but poorly: it miscalculates the song time and sometimes truncates it. If you want to play MP3's reguarly, consider Pocket DivX or iPlay (try a Google search for either).

--bdj

FredMurphy
05-27-2002, 09:58 AM
I find there are some MP3s that WMP will either ignore completely or get to a certain point (always the same) and then skip to the next track. Doesn't seem to be specifically due to variable or high bit rate. Can't be sure exactly how they were encoded because, errr...... a friend encoded them for me.

Would have been nice to at least be given some hint as to what the problem was rather than just ignoring it. (Error would probably have been along the lines of "use WMA - it's much better than MP3" anyway :roll: )

Fred

dchay
05-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Thanks again for all the great ideas!