View Full Version : Toshiba e740 ship date

Jason Dunn
05-14-2002, 11:57 PM
Matt Larson emailed us with some information about the Toshiba e740's ship date.<br /><br />"I thought everyone might be interested in the ship date for the Toshiba e740. I wanted to know because I did order it through Amazon.com when it was briefly on their site and while I got a confirmation # and everything it said 1 to 2 weeks in the email I got from them. I called Toshiba Sales (at 888 874-8247) and they are telling me that they won't be announced or shipped till June 17. But he said they could not guarantee that date either because they are waiting on Intel for "parts". I am assuming me meant the processor."<br /><br />Amazon has since <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000658CE/jasonsego ">pulled the ordering page</a>, but keep your eye on it.

entropy1980
05-15-2002, 12:41 AM
I hope and pray this is wrong!! I was hoping for what my happy little Amazon order says.....Expected delivery May20-28..... :cry:

normaldude
05-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Does anyone have the dimensions/size? And does it have a flip cover? Thanks.

thadrool
05-15-2002, 04:07 AM
If it's like the similar e310, it won't have a flip cover. Now, I know PPCs need the recording button and some have the jog dial on the side, but why can't more manufacturers do what Sony did with the Clie and implement some over-the-top cover?? Just a simple little cover. Is it that hard?

Jaxbulls
05-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Someone in this board previously stated that Sony charges a large fee to allow people to use the jog dial. I read that Fujitsu tried to implement it but could not justify the price. I wish that they could also put the cover on more of them because that offers much better protection than anything else.

Timothy Rapson
05-16-2002, 02:46 AM
Since I am out on the limb everywhere over the LooX, I may as well say it here about the Toshiba E740. They are not going to ship an X-Scale before Compaq does. Compaq made the StrongArm/Intel standard on all PPCs by hitting such a home run with the Ipaq. Intel is not going to leave Compaq twiddling it's thumbs while Toshiba burns them up on the shelves. When Compaq was ordering 2 million StrongArms they must have made some kind of delivery deal with Intel.

Toshiba sold no consumer PDAs in most of the world until the e310 so it's products don't need to worry about early announcements of new models leaving a glut of old inventory on store shelves. Does it have the low power 133-200 MZ X-Scale it was designed for? Nope. Intel has missed a shipping date and they left Toshiba hanging on the deal. They may have to hold up Compaq, too. The 3765s are on clearance sales because Compaq has told Best Buy and the big outlets know that they new X-Scale Ipaqs are on the way as soon as Intel delivers. Toshiba is waiting in line for X-Scales AFTER Compaq gets what they contracted to reserve.

Just my bet.

And that doesn't mean that the E740 doesn't look great (though, I am hearing reports that without the low power X-Scale Toshiba planned on the new E310s are getting as low as 1.25 hours use out of a battery charge! Ouch!), but there is no sense buying one without seeing Compaqs X-Scale that will be on shelves at the same time or more likely, earlier.

Just my bet :lol:

entropy1980
05-16-2002, 02:55 AM
Bad bet considering there is no Compaq :D , besides Intel will give them to whoever will buy, HP has it's hands full trying to figure out what the heck to do with it's new Ipaq. I think everyone with X-Scale units will be coming out around the same time.

1WHOKNOWS
05-16-2002, 02:36 PM
The E310 is not the first PDA that Toshiba has sold in the U.S. A corporate model (E570) was a huge hit, although it was not sold through retail. The E740 will not be available until late June, irregardless of what Amazon is stating.

Paragon
05-17-2002, 03:07 AM
I don't think it matters to much if Compaq, now HP had a deal with Intel for first delivery. From what I understand Intel is having a problem delivering the Xscale.... PERIOD. Until they fix some problems I don't think anyone is putting an Xscale device on the shelves. It sounds very unlikely to be in the next month.

Dave