View Full Version : PDA Avenue Interviews Mazingo CTO

Jason Dunn
05-14-2002, 12:04 AM
<a href="http://www.pdaavenue.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=article;action=display;num=1021324828">http://www.pdaavenue.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=article;action=display;num=1021324828</a><br /><br />PDA Avenue has just published an interview with Mazingo CTO Bill Dettering. It gives a little insight into the world of Mazingo - I've clipped two of the Q&amp;A's.<br /><br /><i>PDA Avenue:</i> "Why did Mazingo choose premium services as opposed to charging the content provider?"<br /> <br /><i>Bill Dettering:</i> "The content provider shouldn't have to pay to get published. Many great providers no longer use AvantGo, primarily because they are now charging the publishers. The advertising model is not working for 99% of the sites out there, and so the publishers need to be motivated to produce better and better content. We're taking the successful AOL and RealOne models, and applying them to handheld content. AvantGo makes $0.002 per registered user per day on advertising, which shouldn't be very encouraging to any prospective publishers looking to do ad-based channels."<br /> <br /><i>PDA Avenue:</i> "What do you think of AvantGo?"<br /> <br /><i>Bill Dettering:</i> "They are OK for text based content, but their current architecture and business model will never allow them to deliver rich media like audio and video -- they will get killed on bandwidth costs. Their business model for consumer-based content is ad-based, which we all know isn't working. They make money on selling servers, and the consumer part of their business is really just there to promote the enterprise stuff."

marcusbankuti
05-14-2002, 12:17 AM
Thank you for posting about the interview. It went well.

I'd just like to point out, that there are nine questions, and there isn't just 9 "What do you think of avantgo" questions (as i said in my intro). I think the most interesting question is about Mazingo and Palm OS. Anyway, thank you.