View Full Version : Pocket Informant 3.1 pre-release available for download

Ed Hansberry
05-14-2002, 12:03 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketinformant.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=553">http://www.pocketinformant.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=553</a><br /><br />There is no doubt in my mind that the two apps most earnestly competing for your money are Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. Both of these applications have seen a flurry of improvements and fixes over the past 8 months. And the winner is?<br /><br />The Pocket PC community of course! I've been messing with earlier stages of 3.1 for so long I have forgotten what it has that is new to 3.0, so I'll just copy some of the highlights from Alex's list. The download information is at the bottom of the link above.<br /><br />• Task View One Line mode<br />• Month View Drag and Drop introduced<br />• Custom Views <i>(very cool)</i><br />• Redesigned Alarm Notes View<br />• Category Filter in Attendee dialog <i>(very cool)</i><br />• Added custom paging options <i>meaning, you choose if you scroll by item or page</i><br />• Create Task/Appt from Contact now shows phone number in the subject <i>You may now uninstall MS's Power Contacts :-) </i><br />• Alarm Notes now lets you know if there is a voice recording in it<br />• More intuitive contextual menus<br />• Major performance enhancements to Contacts FileAs<br />• Many UI performance enhancements<br />• Voice recognition <i>Oh, wait, that may be the top secret feature for 3.2! ;-) </i><br />• Many bug fixes

T-Will
05-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Ed, are you serious about the voice recognition???!!! Any more details you can divulge? :D

seeker
05-14-2002, 03:39 AM
Ed,

It would be very helpful for those of us who look at the two products and are equally pleased with the looks to be able to see an unbiased third party show a three column comparison of the two products such as

Criteria PI PF
Factor A yes no
Factor B no yes
Factor C 8 4
Factor D 5 9

I suppose it would be difficult but for someone on the discussion board that is rather conversant and experienced with both products it would be an excellent help to the great majority of us who read the board. This would be a wonderful community feature.

Anyone out there willing to accept the challenge?

Thanks in advance to the one who accepts. Great community service.

Ed Hansberry
05-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Voice recognition was a joke - hence the smiley. It just seems PI is doing just about everything else, so why not throw VR into it? ;-)

As for a review, that would be very comprehensive and take some time to give both apps justice. These two apps both do soooo much. I probably use about 70% of PI's functionality and know it well.

EllenBeeman
05-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm a new Pocket Informant user, and I'd suggest just giving the shareware version a try. It is incredibly feature-rich, and I've barely scratched the surface of it, I know! But the "month with icons" view, and the improved Contacts view, were enough by themselves to get me to register the product!

---Ell

seeker
05-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Will someone who has used both of the latest products give his/her opinion about killer features so we can make an informed selection between the two?

Ed Hansberry
05-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Will someone who has used both of the latest products give his/her opinion about killer features so we can make an informed selection between the two?
Seeker, you can download 30 day trials of each and determine what is killer for you. Phone dialing does nothing for me but may be great for you. I love Alarm Notes, but you might care less.

Get both and play with them.

MWWeston
05-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Both products are great and both developers are continually making improvements. I have registered copies of both on my PPC. The truth is that I like certain features of each product more than the other product. I may be crazy, but with each update, I change my default PIM. Currently, I am using the public beta of PI 3.1. I like the overall user interface of PI and tend to use it the most.

st63z
05-15-2002, 06:28 AM
Both products are great and both developers are continually making improvements. I have registered copies of both on my PPC. The truth is that I like certain features of each product more than the other product. I may be crazy, but with each update, I change my default PIM. Currently, I am using the public beta of PI 3.1. I like the overall user interface of PI and tend to use it the most.

Sheesh, you're as bad as Jeff Kirvin with his task switchers and today page doodads :)

I've been using PI all this time since it'd come out first before Fusion was available... Though I would like to, I lack the resolve/money/time to personally and fully evaluate competing apps in every category (the abovementioned apps, lists/databases, math/calc/financial, pic viewers, ebook/text viewers, maps, epgs, etc, etc) -- especially as new contenders crop up all the time nowadays. This includes a growing list of specific task-oriented or vertical apps, sigh...