View Full Version : Going forward at HP

Jason Dunn
05-13-2002, 09:50 PM
<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/05/13/BUTECH21.TMP">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/05/13/BUTECH21.TMP</a><br /><br />Henry Norr from the SF Gate has written an article about the HP product road map, and part of the column talks about the Jornada.<br /><br />"In a few cases, that approach yielded results I was sorry to hear about. I happen to think, for example, that HP's current Jornada Pocket PC is a better product than Compaq's iPaq -- their core features are identical, and the iPaq is a little sleeker, but the Jornada has better battery life and a much better expansion scheme (a CompactFlash slot, so you can easily add a wired or wireless network adapter or modem -- options that can be added to the iPaq only with a bulky and expensive "expansion jacket.") <br /><br />From a business perspective, though, I can't argue. When the iPaq first appeared, it was head and shoulders above the Jornada of the day, and by the time HP came back with the much improved current version, it was too late -- the iPaq had all the buzz, and hardly anyone seemed to notice the Jornada. In the first quarter of this year, according to IDC, Compaq ranked second only to Palm in the worldwide PDA market, with a worldwide market share of 10.1 percent, while HP came in a sorry sixth, with only 4.4 percent." Source: Harry

dma1965
05-13-2002, 11:04 PM
I actually prefer the modular design of the iPaq over the Jornada, and find the expansion sleeve design to be far more versatile than having it all built into the unit. If all you want is a glorified daytimer and address book, then the "all in one" approach is perfect for you. If, however, you are a hypergeek, like myself, then the "build as you go" approach of the iPaq is much better. I know that the Jornada also has the addons available, but they are not nearly as prolific as the iPaq addons. I am totally content with the SD slot on my 3870, for when I want to travel light.

kinged
05-14-2002, 07:22 AM
I also like the ipaq much better than Jornada. I think for power users, ipaq definitely offers more. I have 5 GB drive, aircard 300 and D-link 802-11b cards. I uses a dual sleeve and its functionality cannot be topped.

The problem with Jornada is that even when you have the PC card expansion, you will lose the CF slot and you cannot sync with PC card attached.

Jornada also lacks the "wow" factor. I remember when I have the ipaq, people passing by will ask me what I was holding. They were all quite impressed. Jordada looks too much like palm: smaller and darker display and dull looking. And the worst of all my friend has to return many times to HP due to dust.

vetteguy
05-14-2002, 12:50 PM
I care less for the "wow" factor and more for the functionality of the device. The wow factor only lasts for a few days after you buy a new device, after that you need something that works well and does what you want how you want it. To me, that was the Jornada. I need a wireless network card, but I didn't want a bulky expansion pack (which turns my Pocket PC into something too big for a pocket). I am truly disappointed that HP is killing this wonderful product. I will not be buying a new iPAQ unless it has the same features (CF slot, removable battery, flip cover) as the Jornada. Instead, I will be keeping my current Jornada a lot longer than I normally would when upgrades are coming out, and when it is time will look to another manufacturer. I feel certain that there are others who feel the same way. It is a ironic that in their merger to increase market share, they will be losing customers.

peaz
05-14-2002, 02:44 PM
Well, i think that iPaq's had a better time cos it's cheaper than the Jornadas...

Well, I love my J545...still going strong!!!, but one have to admit, it's considerably more pricey than the ipaqs.. that's why most of my friends got the ipaq. more value for money they say.

Ah, if only the Jordanas was priced the same as the ipaqs. :D

wow factor? i thought the j56x had a great wow factor... seen those ipaq faces when they say the j56x with the filp-thumb-keyboard AND the cf camera attached to it at a local PDA event recently.... totally WOW man :D

the j545 series was never really meant to wow... it had a sleek, clean and very professional finish...

ah well, it's all a matter of difference of opinions only :D

NOw that Jordana's as well as dead, PocketLOOX... here i come!!! I'm a fujitsu-siemens fan now. how can one not be with the loox and Lifebook (p series) around!