View Full Version : 802.11b SD expansion?

drspock
05-13-2002, 07:25 PM
I just got a toshiba e310, which I already love, but I would like to add it to the wireless home and office networks. However, the only expansion available is sd or mmc, but as far as I can tell, no sd 802.11b devices exist. Are there any planned, or any already out there?

Thanks

Jason Dunn
05-13-2002, 09:25 PM
No, there aren't. It was a miracle for them to ship the chipset down small enough to fit in a Type 1 CF card - the vendors making PCMCIA cards told us it would take longer than it has - but getting it down to SD will be a big challenge. I think we'll see integrated devices sooner than we'll see SD 802.11x.

drspock
05-13-2002, 09:45 PM
in that case, is there any chance that toshiba will come out with a sleeve or something for the e310?

Jason Dunn
05-13-2002, 09:47 PM
in that case, is there any chance that toshiba will come out with a sleeve or something for the e310?

One would hope that they'd come out with a sleeve or adaptor for CF cards, but this is a "low cost" consumer device so expandability may not be at the top of their list. Too early to tell...

angelseye2000
05-14-2002, 09:50 AM
The SDIO Problem

Microsoft does not provide "native" support for SDIO in Microsoft Windows XP and Windows CE .NET. Many device manufacturers are building SDIO capabilities into devices, but devices that include SDIO-capable peripheral slots or that use SDIO modules in a "fixed" module design cannot expect operating support in the near term.

SDIO peripherals (modem, digital phone, Ethernet, etc.) will not have SD capabilities without supporting system software. Without a coordinated approach to providing system software, the SDIO capabilities of these devices will not be exploitable without the significant expense of supporting multiple custom peripheral drivers. This will slow the production of SDIO peripherals, increase their cost, and ultimately reduce the overall value of the device to the end user.

System software and drivers to support SD card products must be in place for the applications to use the technology.
http://www.pdalive.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=686

Hopefully, BSquare's SDIO Now! program will help bring this technology to WindowsCE products.

BSQUARE Unveils New Program to Hasten Industry-Wide Implementation of SD -- Secure Digital -- Technology
SDIO Now! Program Supplies Peripheral and Portable Device Manufacturers with Industry Standardized Device Driver Package for Rapid Product Development
BELLEVUE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 12, 2002-- BSQUARE Corporation (Nasdaq:BSQR - news) today announced a new technology program to help portable device, card host controller, and peripheral manufacturers support SD (Secure Digital) and SDIO products for their Microsoft Windows CE-based smart devices.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020312/120146_1.html

The Memory Stick and Secure Digital cards.....

The product that has the most industry backing is the Secure Digital, or SD, format that is being backed by over 150 companies worldwide. It is smaller then the Memory Stick and is quickly becoming a major standard for adding memory and i/o features to digital cameras, PDAs and cell phones.

The SD format comes in two main flavors. The first format is called MultiMediaCards and they come in four types: (1) SecureMMCs (content protection and e-commerce) and standard MultiMediaCards such as: (2) ROM, (3) Flash and soon, (4) OTP (one-time programmable) storage.

The other format is the mainstream SD Cards which offers secure flash memory and I/O features such as Bluetooth, cameras, bar code readers, GPS, etc. Both formats can also be used in many digital cameras as well as PDAs from vendors such as Palm, Compaq, HP, and many others, and is likely going to be the most heavily backed industry standard for next generation add-on memory and i/o products.

The Memory Stick and Secure Digital cards are quite important for two key reasons. The most obvious is its small size. This allows vendors who use it to create devices that can be smaller.

But another key reason is that with large industry backing, which includes the inclusion of a Memory Card or SD card reader in everything from laptops to VCRs, DVDs, TVs, MP3 players and even next generation integrated home entertainment consoles, these cards can be used to transfer data among these mostly incompatible devices and in a way serves as a data transfer common denominator.

A good example of this would be to take pictures on a digital camera that uses the SD Card format, and then take it out of the camera and pop it into a DVD player or a TV that has an SD Card reader inside and instantly display the pictures through or on these disparate devices.

Keep your eye on this area of technology as I expect a lot of new and innovative products to come out based on these cards and add a whole host of new features and capabilities to many existing products.

http://www.anywhereyougo.com/bluetooth/Article.po?id=2307977

raisker
09-17-2002, 04:27 AM
I hope these come out soon

all from:
http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article.php/1355791
June 10, 2002
The New Shape of WLAN Cards
By Eric Griffith

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Fabless semiconductor manufacturer SyChip, of Plano, TX, today announced that they're getting into the 802.11b chip set space with a reference design for a secure digital (SD) input/output WLAN card.

The general form factor of an SD card, usually used as a memory storage card, is about the size of a postage stamp -- 32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm. SD slots are generally found in personal digital assistants (PDAs) such as the Palm m500.

The chips will include all software drivers and complete 802.11b functions for OEMs. SyChip's modules will support Windows 2000/XP/CE (2.11 or greater), and the Palm OS 4 and higher. The products would be targeted toward consumers but will also address mobile and telecommuting areas of the enterprise. Like any standard WLAN network card, the SyChip based NICs would be able to operate in ad hoc (peer-to-peer) or Infrastructure mode (with an access point).

SyChip expects an evaluation card for the embedded module, and the support material for the reference design to be ready by the third quarter, with the samples of the full SD NIC card by the end of the year.

Gallivant
09-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Something else to consider: The 310 has a lot of cut-down features in order to get its price so low. I was planning on buying one, but then I discovered that it can't function as a USB host, so it's flatly impossible for there to be a Targus Stowaway keyboard for it. I very much doubt that the SD slot is capable of supporting SDIO.

brntcrsp
09-25-2002, 03:37 AM
Something else to consider: The 310 has a lot of cut-down features in order to get its price so low. I was planning on buying one, but then I discovered that it can't function as a USB host, so it's flatly impossible for there to be a Targus Stowaway keyboard for it. I very much doubt that the SD slot is capable of supporting SDIO.

errr, I think something was missed here. The only device that came out with USB host was the Casio e200 (there may be newer models with it, maybe the e740?), and that was after Targus released a keyboard for the Jornada 5xx, and the iPaq 3xxx. The current Targus boards don't rely on USB, they use the snyc/serial port for their communication. There is a definite possibility that Targus will release a keyboard for these devices.

As for SDIO I do believe it is in fact that on the e310. The Toshiba site is quoted as saying "Enjoy wireless connectivity with the optional Bluetooth™ SD card."

Jason Dunn
09-25-2002, 05:44 AM
...I discovered that it can't function as a USB host, so it's flatly impossible for there to be a Targus Stowaway keyboard for it

Umm...I'll have to disagree with that. None of the 1st generation Pocket PCs (HP 545, iPAQ) or even most of the 2nd gen units (HP 565, iPAQ 3800) had USB host support. This has nothing to do with the Targus keyboard. More like, it's that Toshiba hasn't paid Think Outside to do the work to make one (that's just a hunch).

I very much doubt that the SD slot is capable of supporting SDIO.

I'm not so sure - Toshiba was the first company to support SDIO in their Pocket PCs, so you never know...