View Full Version : Excellent 802.11b CF Card Found

jw15851
05-09-2002, 03:27 PM
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/airstation/wlicf11g.html

I have purchased this card, and am currently using it with PocketPC 2002, and it works GREAT.

Selling points:

Small form factor. Sticks out of the CF slot, only a little, and comes straight out. Not the "T" style that covers ports on the handheld. Adds virtually no size to the handheld. Whereas many of the larger ones make the handheld no longer so portable.

Excellent range (whereas the socket brand is limited)

Low Power consumption mode (when not TX-ing it pulls very little power)

Small hole on the card is designed as a security point, to affix a cable to prevent loss or theft. But, placing a metal chain there acts as an antenna further increasing range.

No more expensive than any of the other CF 802.11b cards on the market.

Supports 128bit encryption mode

I'm using this unit in a Maestro, with no difficulties. I'm using an Apple Airport Base Station as a WAP, over DHCP. I highly reccommend it. I don't work for any of the companies listed above, just a happy user.

If you get one, and wonder why it isn't working, you have to soft reboot your handheld. This I figured out while working with their very good tech support. From that point on it's been great. Also note, the documentation and web site NEVER MENTION PocketPC 2002, but the drivers ARE on the disk, and it DOES work.

-Jason W

zafar
05-23-2002, 07:11 PM
What is the real range of this card in your experience?

Zafar

jw15851
05-23-2002, 10:05 PM
I havn't done a real range test. I'm using an airport base station, and while they are exellent units, they aren't the best for long range because the antenna is internal.

That said, I can go to the other end of my house, and still have over 90% signal strength. I'll put it this way, it gets better reception than my laptop does, and it's card connects to an antenna in the housing.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more. If I get a chance, I'll try walking down the road a bit and see how far I can go.

-Jason W