View Full Version : New 3.5mm QVGA screen for PDAs

Ed Hansberry
05-08-2002, 09:57 PM
<a href="http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2002/05/08/super-thin_color.html">http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2002/05/08/super-thin_color.html</a><br /><br />"Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands yesterday...announced a 3.5-inch QVGA thin-film-transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) color module that is 3.5mm thick. Display technology that is thinner, while simultaneously delivering advances in front-of-screen (FOS) performance, is in high demand in the rapidly growing mobile device industry. Philips' proprietary reflective panel construction is designed to deliver higher brightness, reflectance, and color saturation. The solution also incorporates the company's patented color-adjusting technology for TFT displays, which serves to enhance luminance and color saturation without significantly increasing power consumption. The module is compatible with standard graphics controller chips and a variety of operating systems."<br /><br />Yeah, but is it dust free? :-) Sounds like one more step on the ever thinner smaller device. 3.5mm sounds thick to me but I have no clue how thick an iPAQ or Clie screen is. Anyone know? I'll post your name on the front page if you are the first to reply to this thread after having taken your Pocket PC apart to measure it. Looking it up in tech manuals is cheating! ;-)

Janak Parekh
05-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I thought dust doesn't "affect the functionality of the device" according to our wonderful manufacturers. :wink:

Could you imagine "collects dust" in a spec sheet? :lol:

--bdj

Newsboy
05-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Okay, FINE! I'll find out how thick my friggin screen is. Not that I care about dust, since it'll be the screen out of my (still) cracked EM-500. No biggie, I've cracked open the case before to do the whole pencil lead overclock mod.

But if you think I'm opening up my Maestro, you're nuts! :P

Will report back Friday sometime.