View Full Version : Security software for Pocket PCs

Andy Sjostrom
05-02-2002, 02:57 PM
The market for security related software for Pocket PCs grows. I recently wrote about the newly released Personal Edition of F-Secure. Jim, one of our readers just sent in the following e-mail: "Well, I installed the Personal edition of F-Secure and used it for about a week, trying several different pass keys, etc. to see if I could break it. Pretty good encryption, the interface was good, all appeared fairly solid. About 3 days ago I started getting messages on my iPaq that it would not start the F-secure program - several dialog boxes in a row at various times during the day - very strange. I emailed the F-Secure support folks and have not heard a word from them. I just removed the program from my iPaq and will go back to using the Applian product, which, although it is kind of plain Jane, works with no problems. Thought I would let you know."<br /><br />What's your favorite authentication / encryption Pocket PC application?<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> I was just contacted by F-Secure. They say: "F-Secure FileCrypto Personal Edition is a product that Compaq bundles with new Ipaqs for free. The thing is that Compaq is also taking care of the ("first level") support for the file-encryption product that can be downloaded from the page <a href="http://www.europe.f-secure.com/wireless/compaq/">http://www.europe.f-secure.com/wireless/compaq/</a> ... support cases for F-Secure FileCrypto Personal Edition should actually be addressed to Compaq and not F-Secure. In case Compaq cannot solve the problem then the case will be escalated to F-Secure." Thanks for responding so quickly, F-Secure!

dma1965
05-02-2002, 07:38 PM
The included file encryption feature of Resco Pocket Explorer is all I really need, along with ewallet for CC info, passwords, etc.

mazingo
05-03-2002, 10:50 AM
The Applian product mentioned is PocketLock. It works great, is easy to use, and is only $19.95.

You can try it free from the Applian Web site here:
http://www.applian.com

iPaqDude
05-04-2002, 02:38 AM
Just wanted clarify - I was the one that had emailed Andy about the problem with the F-Secure install. This was downloaded from the F-Secure site, not bundled with the any of the Compaq software, hence I emailed them for support. No where on the site does it indicate that I should have contacted Compaq...

The software I went back to was the Applican PocketLock, which I had been using for quite some time and have not had any issues with. I was looking for more of an Enterprise-class of software that I could start recommending to my co-workers (around 30 are using PPC, the rest are still Palm weenies), and F-Secure looked like it would work over the Applian. Before shelling out the bucks for F-Secure's enterprise version, I thought I would try the personal edition. When I did not get any answers back from the support email, I removed the software.

If F-Secure would like to discuss this more, I would be more than happy to work with them. They can email me at [email protected].

Thanks.