View Full Version : How much do you spend on software for your Pocket PC?

Ed Hansberry
04-29-2002, 01:41 AM
How much money have you spent on software for your Pocket PC? I find myself spending much more than I had planned just because there is so much more out there now that is pushing the envelope of what a Pocket PC allows me to do away from my desktop. Software like <a href="http://rakonza.com/k-force/">Rakonza's K-ForCE</a>, <a href="http://www.pocketmindmap.com">Pocket MindMap</a>, and even simple email using a Digital Phone Card from <a href="http://www.socketcom.com">SocketCom</a> with my cell phone to both my work and personal email accounts.<br /><br />So, what about you? How much have you spent in the last 12 months for Pocket PC Software? If you haven't been a Pocket PC owner that long, how much do you forsee spending in the next 12 months?

entropy1980
04-29-2002, 07:07 AM
I have spent about $100 dollars mainly split between games (SimCity and can't wait for Argentum :D )and other software like Peacemaker Pro, and Dashboard. Overall I think the PPC comes pretty complete as far as features go.....

Jaap van Ees
04-29-2002, 07:39 AM
There's just so much good stuff out there. I have spent well over $ 300, including the update to Pocket PC 2002. Most of this I spent on regular apps (like Agenda Fusion, Pocket Mindmap, Visual Notes, Pocket Slides, HPC Notes, abcDB) and utilities (like Resco File Manager, HandyZip, Flash Format, WordLogic, Calligrapher). No games. :)

stareja
04-29-2002, 02:34 PM
Most of the functionality I need comes out of the box with the iPAQ. The only programs I've bought are QuickTasks and Dashboard, everything else is already there or I've found freeware options.

ledowning
04-29-2002, 03:22 PM
I have probably spent anywhere from $150.00 to $200.00 on software. This includes ZioGolf2, SimCity, HanDBase and the Resco File utilities, which include file explorer, picture viewer and zipper. Other software that I can find for free is a bonus. Still deciding on a PIM to purchase. Can't decide between Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion.

obarnes
04-29-2002, 04:00 PM
I have probably spend more than $200, including TeleType GPS, iPaqPanel, Streets & Trips 2002 (for Pocket Streets), PocketStreetMap (.co.uk), Intellisync and have a about $100 more that I am sitting on until they commit to fix a few issues / enhance the software, Simple SMS or IA Phone Manager are candidates...
- Oliver.

yawanag
04-29-2002, 08:46 PM
I have spent close to $300 on software and accessories. I wanted my PDA to function like my desktop so many of the apps. were obtained free like a Device Manager, Reg Editor, etc. but there are some I just had to have that cost money. Some games like Bobble, Word Game, Quiz Master (I love Word Games.) and
Mapopolis (Now I don't need MapQuest to find Door to Door Directions) and a favorite of mine, Pocket Talkit that reads my schedule aloud if I don't want to use my stylus. I download 7 days of TV Programs, 7 days of the Weather Forecast. There isn't anything that I can think of that I don't have right in the palm of my hand. Though I hate it when people say, "Oh, you've got a Palm?" :D

Pony99CA
04-30-2002, 09:54 AM
I've only had a Pocket PC since July 2001 or so, and have bought Snails, Emerald Hunt and Pocket Watch. There's just too much good freeware available, I think, given the limited RAM on my iPAQ 3870 (and I have a 256MB CF card, but it's mostly filled with eBooks that I'll probably never read, maps, and MP3 files).

I'll probably spend $100-150, if you don't count the TravRoute Pocket CoPilot Jacket Edition for $249, which I consider more hardware than software (there will be a $49 software upgrade, though).

Steve

Hotchkissfire1
04-30-2002, 02:33 PM
I hope to keep my new 567 at least 3 years, and I'm sure I'll buy that much software. (I'm also sure that the software I'm buying now will not work with my next PDA ).

My first pda, a Visor Deluxe, had about $200 in software, and lots of freebees, and it wasn't even connected.

So far I've bought Time Recorder, a local map from Mapopolis, and ABCdb , and will probably get a fax program. I'm using the free Phone Tools fax program now, and it's quirky. (i'm holding out for a fax progam that will send Excel).

Still to come: Delorme is promising to get their Earthmate onto Pocket Pc.
I have about $300 of maps and a Earthmate from them, and since I need topo, they are my only choice for GPS. This system worked fine on my Visor, and was the best GPS I saw for topographical maps that didn't need GIS accuracy.

I still like the free programs, I got hooked on them from having the Palm system. The best one I have gotten is Calendar+, and a beach today screen.

My friend and fellow tech junkie just bought a 567 after downloading the the Visual tool deal from Microsoft to make a program that we can use to do Fire Reports for our Fire Department. He saw the potential in being able to write your own programs, so he will be carrying a PDA instead of his laptop. I think lots of programing will be coming out, much of it free.

Pony99CA
05-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Still to come: Delorme is promising to get their Earthmate onto Pocket Pc.
I have about $300 of maps and a Earthmate from them, and since I need topo, they are my only choice for GPS. This system worked fine on my Visor, and was the best GPS I saw for topographical maps that didn't need GIS accuracy.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of topographical maps for the TravRoute/NavMan GPS system. Since I have no interest in them, though, I didn't pay much attention.

Steve

Hotchkissfire1
05-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the tip, Pony99a, I checked into the Software and GPS units. The only topo software seemed to be the National Geographic title, along with their sync program. The costs, about $90 for my state's topo, and about $30 for the sync program, seem in line with Delorme.

The actual GPS units are pricey on the PocketPC, with most way over $200.
I paid $89 for my Earthmate. The Pharos ($170) set up may be the one I buy, because it doesn't use the CF slot. Topo Maps take up a bunch of room, so this will be a good option.

I probably will wait on Delorme just a bit longer, they have some software that uses actual satelite images, and can sync them to their topo maps. I have quite a bit invested in thier mapping. But I think the tip about TravRoute gave me a great choice if Delorme doesn't come thru.