View Full Version : 2nd Ipaq 3850 now having problems

Sanjay Srikonda
04-26-2002, 07:20 PM
You know, just when I get the warm and fuzzies about Compaq, I start getting into "hoisted by my own petard" kind of situation.

So I get a replacement unit, for my 3835 which was having a backlight issue, they send me a 3850, and an umbrella, and a nice note thanking me for letting them help me.

Guess what, this new 3850 unit (NOT a refurbished one, they told me) is doing 2 things:

I press the power button, it doesn't turn off, and immediately goes dim. I call Compaq TS, and they have to refer the case back up to Customer Care, they want to send me a refurbished unit. I said, the unit is less than 30 days old, and considering the "newer replacement" unit is even newer than the one purchased on April 1, the warranty period on that unit should only date from April 12 forward.

Imagine, replacing a new unit that cost $500 + change with a refurbished unit?

Who exactly would go for this deal? Especially when it's still under the original 30 day warranty?

seanturner
05-05-2002, 07:08 AM
Just keep asking for managers and find someone with some power that can keep replacing your unit.

PS, I sent mine in for backlight issues and they had dropped it and scratched the case. I asked for a replacement and I got one and it appears to be working (although I never did get and umbrella). lol

Sanjay Srikonda
05-05-2002, 04:06 PM
I spoke again with Ms. Jenkins, they must assign the same person to the same case if it comes up again. Again, Eagle Freight delivered up one day, and picked up the next.

Interesting thing, though, that Ms. Jenkins did say when I said the original CS guy had said i could have a "refurbished" unit to replace the new one I wanted replaced. That these CS guys could not offer any such a deal to replace any unit with a refurbished or new unit, that is only done by people at her level.

Interesting, thing though, the original CS guy never said as much, the first words out of his mouth were, "We can replace yours with a refurbished model." and never offered to replace mine with a new unit since it was still under 30 days' warranty.

Methinks you really have to take what the customer service guys say to you with a grain of salt and keep pushing like Seanturner says, keep asking for a manager. Keep plugging away. If you just bought your unit and it's under 30 days old, you shouldn't have to settle for a "refurbished" unit.

BTW, Ms. Jenkins did say that the softpaq should be out in about 3 weeks.

seanturner
05-05-2002, 06:13 PM
That's interesting.... I talked to a manager and they told me that I had to go through custormer relations to get it replaced...