View Full Version : Any Russian speaking visitor out there?

Andy Sjostrom
04-24-2002, 09:51 PM
<a href="http://s-k.al.ru/wincepdaru.html#crlo">http://s-k.al.ru/wincepdaru.html#crlo</a><br /><br />We received an e-mail from Chris Clark containing this link to a Russian PDA software site. Chris writes: "...it appears that there are tools for cab installation with the option of choosing where files go along with a de-archiving tool for lzh, zip, rar, bzip2, arj and a bunch or other formats. There are some other tools that appear to be equally useful ... Maybe PPCthoughts has some Russian readers who could check it out an explain it to the rest of us."<br /><br />Looks interesting. Would anyone care to help us out? Spassibo!

dbrom
04-24-2002, 10:50 PM
I would translate it, but the site appears to be down

I'll check back later and see if it goes back up again.

Dmitriy

Ed Hansberry
04-24-2002, 11:20 PM
Maybe PPCthoughts has some Russian readers who could check it out an explain it to the rest of us."

Vasilli?

kalex
04-24-2002, 11:51 PM
readme file for the software basically says:

Installation from cab files

Instructions:

upon launch of the program without parameters, the program asks you to select the .cab file to open and a directory where to install the software (if the directory doesn't exist, you can create it or enter a path to it and it will be created automatically). after that the installion of the software starts with a standard method (wceload.exe). if you run the program with specifiying the path and cab file it will ask you for a directory where to install. you can also assciate it with cab files instead of wceload.exe

This program is being provided as freeware and the person is not responsible for damages.

Basically this looks like something i need to use.

Gerard
04-25-2002, 05:53 AM
Hot DAMN, yer not kiddin'!!! I've been wanting something like this for ages! I even wrote a very long and flattering letter to a Russion a couple of months back asking if he'd kindly consider porting his WinRAR to the PPC. Well, seems someone was thinking. Now, if only I could get past the 'page cannot be found' I've been getting all day, first from PPCSG.org links, now this one. Frustration is afoot!

S-K
04-25-2002, 06:03 AM
iDiffCE - the utility for comparison of text and binary files.
ssnap - the utility for creation of an instant picture of condition PPC (registry, file system, database). It is useful to the control of changes.
Cabinstl - the utility for installation of programs in chosen folder.
XacretCE -tool for unpack archives .
ScreenOff - the utility for switching-off of the screen.

Gerard
04-25-2002, 06:10 AM
Hi S-K; Is there any chance you might tell us when your page might be online again? It has not worked these past 12 hours or so. And thank you very much for this, and these explanations. This software is a very welcome addition to the tools we have. :)

S-K
04-25-2002, 07:04 AM
Thank for interest to my site. I regret, but probably there is a certain restriction on the traffic at the provider free-of-charge hosting. In Russia the page is accessible without restrictions.

Olav Lucas
04-25-2002, 09:52 AM
http://www.translate.ru/rus/url/tran_url.php?&autotranslate=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs-k.al.ru%2Fwincepdaru.html

Gives a rough translation of the whole page.

jpzr
04-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Thank for interest to my site. I regret, but probably there is a certain restriction on the traffic at the provider free-of-charge hosting. In Russia the page is accessible without restrictions.

Please send me to [email protected] the HTML and program files: I will put it then on my site at http://WirelessSoftware.info , which has very very big traffic capacity. You can make it also in English so that folks in USA and others will understand it...

(I am Polish and Russian is one of 5 languages I speak, but I don't know how to write it in Roman alphabet...)

S-K
04-25-2002, 12:50 PM
If you have difficulties with loading files with the basic site, try to load from here

http://www.geocities.com/s_k_s_k_s_kru/

Gerard
04-25-2002, 11:21 PM
S-K; this is some nice stuff. I've tried all but the script thing, as I don't know anything about that sort of PC use.
'cabinstl' is neat. I tried it on two CAB files, and found that like the regular ceload execution the CAB is deleted, unless the CAB is first made 'read-only'. A simple enough thing to either do that, or to use a copy of the CAB.
I tried re-installing both Pocket TV and WMP Tech Preview2. PTV installed to my rather unorthodox location (\Flash Disk2\Media\Pocket TV) with only the expected question about whether or not I was sure I wanted to overwrite the current installation. All file associations in the registry seem to have been properly re-written.
WMP TP2 however did not go to its Flash Disk2 location. It claimed to do so, and in the registry afterwards the primary strings indicated it had done so, but the actual program and DLL went directly into \Windows, the program's default install location. I had to do as I have done before, and manually move these to my selected location and edit the several stray registry keys. Still, WMV files were not properly associated (I must have overlooked one), so I just used Pocket Tweak to fix this. All is back to how I like it.
'XacRett' is now associated with a bunch of file types, but not ZIP, as I am very happy with Resco for that. However, when I altered the unpack path to be simply \, it failed. Files flashed briefly on tapping and nothing happened. When I edited the path back to the default \My Documents, an LZH file unpacked perfectly there. So the root is not usable. I like to do things like this in the root directory, as it is so uncluttered most of the time.
Another thing, a question; Can I use this to unpack CAB files like I can with WinRAR? Or will you consider making this an option? (Not file association though, as that would be bad!)
The two utilities for recording structure and then comparing two of these record files works flawlessly. Though the complexities of some of what it shows are rather over my head, I found the 40KB TXT file generated after two samples taken several hours apart was quite informative. For a developer, this sort of utility is a must. (But I am not one.)

S-K
04-26-2002, 06:44 AM
2Gerard
Thank for remarks.
Cabinstall: if the developer of the program has set hard binding location, at unpacking a cabinet it will be used.
XacRett: on the present moment unpacking in a folder having a name of the archive file is possible. Unpacking CAB of files is not supported yet.
Sorry for bad english.

Gerard
04-26-2002, 11:37 AM
The English is fine. Thank you for your replies. I will keep testing. Very enjoyable software, thank you. :)

S-K
05-22-2002, 08:12 AM
New Cabinstl version is released.
added: view,extract, default installation, protect cab from delete.

URL: http://www.geocities.com/s_k_s_k_s_kru/#ci

Gerard
05-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Very, very cool. Keep it up. You might just salvage PPC 2002 yet!

Gerard
05-22-2002, 09:46 AM
There a couple of problems with this version, sorry.
- 'New Folder' refuses to allow itself to be renamed. It stays as 'New Folder'. This would make multiple same parent folder installs impossible. It worked in the initial releases.
- 'Extract' works, which is great! However, there is no sign in the displayed window that this is so. I only found out after tapping the 'x' in the upper-right of your dialogue and then using ftpView to browse to my selected CAB-unpacked location.
- Still no cabinstl icon in GigaBar while your app is running. This means interupting cabinstl to go make a new folder, or to check any other data (like whether a CAB got unpacked) is awkward.
That's it for now. Still, dynamite! I love it! It's like WinRAR, together with Xacrett. At least the unpacking part. Great.

S-K
05-23-2002, 08:06 AM
2Gerard
Thank for remarks. I shall try to correct.