View Full Version : Typango and the Digit-al Keyboard

Tycho Morgan
04-24-2002, 05:31 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=7">http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=7</a><br /><br />Richard Padgett and Pocket PC Addict have published and article on Typango, what appears to be an onscreen thumb keyboard. I must admit that this is a rather curious contraption, which might be the Holy Grail of input options (ease of thumb keyboard with out the hassle), or it might be the worst thing to ever be installed on my Jornada (part of the appeal of the thumb keyboard is that it is a physical hardware thing.) There’s no way for me to tell right now, but the idea is intresting nonetheless.<br /><br />“Recently an entire crop of articles has sprung up on the various Pocket PC websites concerning text input on PDAs and why they all stink. Like some kind of information virus it was the topic de jour for the nearly famous Jeff Kirvin and a few others provoking blustering endorsements and debate among users as to which input method is best. On Screen Keyboards, Single Character input, Handwriting recognition, thumboards, external keyboards…”

Tycho Morgan
04-24-2002, 05:37 AM
Ok not to sound selfish, whiny, or particularly more smart ass than I usually am, I'm including this portion of my thought as a comment.

Now Jeff, correct me If I'm wrong, but I was the one who started this little thing on how all the input options sucked. I talked to you about thumb keyboards before you even got close to buying one, I started my little "useability, functionalty" tirade on this website before your input article came out. Its really no big deal, and I'm perfectly fine with your (Jeff's) looks at input, but at least from where I was/am standing, I stared it.

Anyone else agree with me?

Cheers,

RickP in AZ
04-24-2002, 07:08 AM
Ok, ok, ok... I'm really sorry Sam. It was just that Jeff's name was the first to pop in my head and as I was using Typango outside I could refer back to the Net for varification. I was primarily referring to Jeff's column and hinting that the same topic had been on PalmInfoCenter or so he said.

I really didn't mean to steal your thunder man, I just wanted to hammer out the article so that I could get it out of my hair.

BTW As penance I am going to follow up on my promise to myself to read "Tech Musings" more faithfully. Would that work? :-)

RickP in AZ

kagayaki1
04-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Does the whole fingerprint issue not scream out to anyone else here as a PROBLEM!!! 8O I can hardly stand it when I accidently have a smudge or large amounts of debris on the screen. I see the convenience (one less thing to carry, like my 3800 Stowaway adapter...), but I don't think the tradeoff of having to keep a mini bottle of Windex in my pocket is quite worth it. :wink:

RickP in AZ
04-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Because of pocket lint I had long ago taken to carrying a lens cloth with me. After a long session of Typango I breath on the screen and rub and Bam! Clean screen.

RickP in AZ

Tycho Morgan
04-25-2002, 05:18 AM
Ok, ok, ok... I'm really sorry Sam. It was just that Jeff's name was the first to pop in my head and as I was using Typango outside I could refer back to the Net for varification. I was primarily referring to Jeff's column and hinting that the same topic had been on PalmInfoCenter or so he said.

I'm really not all that concerned about it, its no big deal, Jeff did just publish his column about it a few weeks ago, mine was for Suite101 in november, so you know.

You're fine, don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Sam