View Full Version : iPAQ 3800 using IrDA to Nokia for web access

bones
04-22-2002, 08:24 PM
The question:

Is it possible to use my iPAQ 3800 series PPC to connect to the web using its IrDA connection to my Nokia 3360 cellphone?

The url to the cellphone specs is here: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/series/3360/1,4511,,00.html#phone_features

I try setting up a new dialing connection in the connections settings, using the IrDA as the hardware, and I point it at my phone, and my phone begins dials the number (sort of) - so, I am wondering if anyone else has successfully pulled it off?

Fishelsoni
04-23-2002, 03:29 AM
I'm currently doing it quite successfully with my Nokia 3360 and iPAQ 3765. At first I had a situation similar to yours ... it would start to dial then give a couple weird tones and fail. I had to call Customer Service (Cingulair) to get something set up correctly (why its not set up automatically, I'm not sure). I'm not even entirely sure what it is, but it worked after the guy on the end of the line tinkered around with my account setup for a few minutes. I'd try calling your customer service and make sure your digital data service is set up ... sorry I can't be of more help.

Fishelsoni
04-23-2002, 03:33 AM
What I'm trying to say is that its almost certainly not the setup of your iPAQ or the phone. I tired it only a thousand times before calling customer service, with no luck, but after I called them it worked like a charm, and I didn't touch either unit while I was on the phone with Cingular. MS has seemed to do a pretty good job getting the generic modem drivers to work well with the pocket pc, and the phone doesn't really require any configuration. I'm 99% sure your answer is going to come from a call to your customer service and just make sure everything is set up right on their end. The fact that its establishing the connection with the phone and the phone is trying to dial means that everything is set up fine on your end, but the phone just isn't getting the service it needs to make a digital data call.