View Full Version : Free pocket Phonetools for Jornada

marlof
04-22-2002, 09:46 AM
<a href="http://www.bvrp.fr/customers/hpdownload/eng/">http://www.bvrp.fr/customers/hpdownload/eng/</a><br /><br />HP proofs once more that their product line is aimed at business use. As with their previous products, they have announced the free download of a communication suite you can use with your mobile phone: pocket Phonetools by BVRP. The product enables you to send and receive SMS messages and faxes through your mobile phone, and to sync your GSM phonebook. The name "pocket Phonetools" was new to me and didn't occur on the BVRP website in the producs lineup. After I installed it on my Jornada 565 it did show a striking resemblance to Winphone Pocket without the WAP browser.<br /><br />The software is not just compatible with the most recent Jornada's, but also with the older product range, including the Palmsize and Handheld PCs. The future 928 WDA is not yet supported, but according to <a href="http://www.bvrp.com/files/presse/pdf/CPHPUKUS.pdf">the press release</a>, a version for that product will arrive later this year.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> So far no luck in getting my supposedly supported T39m recognized by this product, where other phone managers have no trouble doing just that. When I had these problems before with Winphone Pocket and my previous T18s / DI27 I have asked BVRP for technical support. It's now almost 2 years later, and they still have to answer all questions I once sent them. Let's go try again! I'll keep you posted.

Paragon
04-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Good luck Marlof

I have sent at least 6 e-mails to them asking for support in the past year. So far ZERO response.

Dave

marlof
04-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Dave: I know... I'm not a big BVRP fan, because I've heard and experienced too many horror stories on their product support. The only ones that were able to get support were either people that phoned them ( but I refuse to be put on hold on an international call...), or people that showed their credentials. I post my questions from my own private email account, because I don't want them to be nice to me for me being part of the Thoughts team. I want to know if they're any good when it comes to the regular Joe. And so far the answer is: no!

jwf
04-22-2002, 05:16 PM
It seems to install a WAP browser too, but not into the Programs folder. If you browse to the 'BVRP Software pocket PhoneTools' folder, there's a Klondike.exe in there, that seems to be a WAP browser. I couldn't see a way of accessing it via the main program.

The old beta version that HP used to give away with the Jornada 54x PocketPCs is the only application that has required me to hard reset. After receiving a malformed SMS message from my phone. ISTR reading about others having similar problems on the newsgroups at the time.

John

Charles Pickrell
04-22-2002, 05:55 PM
It won't even open my IR port on my 56X Jornada. I'm not impressed.

marlof
04-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Charles: you have to disable the auto receiving of IR beams in Start | Settings | Connections | Beam. Without that, I couldn't get the IR to work either.

Paragon
04-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Dave: I know... I'm not a big BVRP fan, because I've heard and experienced too many horror stories on their product support. The only ones that were able to get support were either people that phoned them ( but I refuse to be put on hold on an international call...), or people that showed their credentials. I post my questions from my own private email account, because I don't want them to be nice to me for me being part of the Thoughts team. I want to know if they're any good when it comes to the regular Joe. And so far the answer is: no!

I once had someone I couldn't get to respond to my e-mail concerning something I felt to be rather important. So I posted it at pPCp, I then e-mailed them and told them what I had done, and provided a link, so they could rebut if they cared. It did draw them out, but they never did resolve the issue.

Customer service is easy. If a company can't preform the simplest acts of C/S such as returning support e-mail, then I personally see no reason to support them.

I think BVRP have some good programs... I think, I can't be sure til they answer some simple questions.

Dave