View Full Version : New HP Jornada coming out sooner than you think...

Jason Dunn
04-17-2002, 01:14 AM
Coming from the "completely, utterly, and totally unsubstantiated rumour department", I had a conversion with someone a few days ago who was recently part of a meeting with HP. He had something interesting to tell me: apparently HP will have a new Pocket PC on store shelves sometime this summer! Specifications were vague, but it will be running an Xscale processor, have 64 megs of RAM, and an integrated SD card slot. No word on whether or not it will also have a CompactFlash slot, or if they're going the single SD slot route a la Compaq. I'm afraid that's all I know - no clue on price point, model number, etc. Still, I'm a big HP fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with! If anyone has any information to substantiate this rumour, post away!

Paragon
04-17-2002, 01:42 AM
We have had a couple of people report similar info at Pocket PC Passion. The HP 570 series. Two models a 300mhz and a 400mhz.

Here is one of The threads http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11157

They state the end of this month which I think is pushing it a bit. We have had one other person.... an X HP employee, state that they would be available by June. That seems a little more realistic to me.

Dave

Mr. Anonymous
04-17-2002, 02:06 AM
I'll take one without dust ;)

Sslixtis
04-17-2002, 03:32 AM
I agree with the "without dust" sentiment 100%!!! I was just saying that I was finally happy with my 568 (4th one-Dust and screen issues) two days ago and would wait on the next HP with the XScale processor, when what should happen, I was doing a hard reset and decided to blow the dust out of the battery housing while I was there. I replaced the battery and restarted my baby and to my utter dismay there were 50-60 varying size particles of dust under my screen!!!! I know they say that you can't get dust under the screen from the outside, but it didn't magically appear!
Anyway, enough gripping, HP support is truely excellent. They are sending me another replacement even as we speak. If their support wasn't so phenomenal I would probably never touch their products again, as it is, I'll be waiting on the HP Xscale whatever the model number or price point. :wink:

HR
04-17-2002, 05:24 AM
Got to have the 480x320 screen and built in wireless.

eric linsley
04-17-2002, 05:30 AM
from what iv heard form my HP rep what you said sounds about right. she says it should be out sometime within these 2 months

Trade Wind
04-17-2002, 06:47 AM
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-884500.html

Take1
04-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Wonder if HP has finally found a source of dust-free screens (i.e., find out who does the 3835 screens) and will simply stop making the 56x units in favor of the new one. I'd LOVE an HP with the slide on battery and excellent battery life, but can't even think about getting one (again) if there is the slightest chance that dust will make an appearance under the screen.

The MS is supposed to reveal new HP and Toshiba devices in London at the MS Mobility Conference this Wednesday. Whether they'll pull a surprise and show the successor to the 56x at the same time is anybody's guess.(from Cnet):

Microsoft on Wednesday will kick off its first developer conference for mobile devices in London by announcing new devices using its Pocket PC 2002 and Handheld PC OS from partners Toshiba and Hewlett-Packard.
The Microsoft Mobility Developer Conference is expected to be an annual event and will give the software giant a chance to tell developers about new programs to help them create and sell applications for handheld and smartphone devices.

More than 1,000 developers are expected to attend the conference to hear about the new devices and details about a new developer program for certifying and delivering applications for devices using Microsoft's Pocket PC 2002 and Smartphone 2002. Microsoft will also present a test version of a collection of Web-based services on mobile devices.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker released its Pocket PC 2002 OS for handhelds last October, and in February announced hardware reference designs to be used with its Smartphone 2002 OS.

Toshiba's device, the Pocket PC e310, will begin shipping April 22 for $399 and will come with 32MB of memory, a Secure Digital expansion slot and will use Intel's 206MHz StrongARM processor. The e310 will weigh about 5 ounces and measure about a half an inch thick.

HP's new Jornada 728 Handheld PC will use Microsoft's Handheld PC OS and will come with 64MB of memory, compared with the previous version that came with 32MB, and will cost $999. It will be available at the end of May.

nz0eBoy
04-18-2002, 02:24 AM

Amen to the wireless, and they have to stay with the CF format - I have invested to much in this format to change.

I'd also like to see a microphone jack as well, or some type of proprietary connector that allowed me to use an earpiece and microphone for phone calls - or better still a BT solution.

I have been waiting for Xscale before upgrading my 548, I nearly caved last weekend and went for the 568, am glad now that I held out.

HR
04-18-2002, 04:07 AM

I'd also like to see a microphone jack as well, or some type of proprietary connector that allowed me to use an earpiece and microphone for phone calls - or better still a BT solution.
I think that the phone edtion supports a headset.

Paragon
04-18-2002, 04:17 AM
Yes the HP 928 supports an earpiece with an inline mike, from the reports I 've read anyway.

Some of the new wireless PPCs will only work with an earpiece.... You will fry your brain holding a mutant sound wave producing device like this up to your head, don't you know. :D

Dave