View Full Version : Mazingo 4.0 Released

Jason Dunn
04-16-2002, 03:42 PM
<a href="http://www.mazingo.net/pc/updates.htm">http://www.mazingo.net/pc/updates.htm</a><br /><br />Mazingo has hit 4.0 with this latest release of their software. It doesn't seem like they added much in the way of new features going from 3.32 to 4.0, but it's here anyway!<br /><br />• Now supports selective updates -- you can choose the channels you want to have updated. (See the channels page.) <br />• Added 400 eBooks, plus support for other "library" items such as Videos, Software, etc. <br />• Improved Delete Mechanism now deletes all old files on both the PC, Pocket PC and storage card. <br />• Channels are now categorized with subcategories for easier browsing.

lar3ry
04-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Mazingo has hit 4.0 with this latest release of their software. It doesn't seem like they added much in the way of new features going from 3.32 to 4.0, but it's here anyway!

( ... )

• Improved Delete Mechanism now deletes all old files on both the PC, Pocket PC and storage card.

I saw the 4.0 version this morning and updated immediately, hoping against hope that it would actually start deleting files now.

I had gotten to the point where I would have to load my CF into a USB reader on my PC and manually clean out the \Mazingo directory on a weekly basis. With a terribly fragmented flash, this could take almost 18 minutes to delete 900 files... and this with a dedicated reader, not using ActivySync to the iPAQ!

The synchronization seemed to go faster this morning as well, but I'm just going to watch the number of files in \Storage Card\Mazingo before deciding that they have indeed fixed the "Delete Mechanism." The previous version should probably have been called "Never Delete Mechanism."

(By the way: if you have a USB CF reader for your PC, you will find you will be able to do things like defrag and format the flash very easily.)

DualShock
04-17-2002, 12:35 AM
People that use Mazingo 4.0 and have Microdrives.... I noticed that when I sync, the Microdrive does not stop spinning after the sync and decompress is completed. Turning the iPAQ off and on doesn't help, it just resumes spinning again, seemingly in an endless loop or something. The only remedy is to shut off the iPAQ, pull the Microdrive out, then turn it back on again. Anyone else have this problem???? It's really annoying, and didn't happen with the previous version....

Take1
04-17-2002, 08:57 AM
Mazingo seems to be deleting files over the last couple of revisions. I don't notice the Mazingo folder getting progressivley bigger.

Sanjay Srikonda
04-17-2002, 02:03 PM
I've an Ipaq 3850 and I started storing the Manzingo files to my Ipaq storage area, instead of deleting older files, the newer syncs kept being added to older files until I finally ran out of storage space and had an "error" message pop up that asked me if I'd like to see deals on storage cards?

the other annoyance now is that manzingo adds a "premium" channel whether or not you want one added to your sync. I contacted their TS about this and was told that they have to market these premium channels somehow.

Ok, so they're telling me that they're going to sync a premium channel, take up space on my device and not give me an option not to do that? Is this enforced spam?

Pete Wilson
04-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok, so they're telling me that they're going to sync a premium channel, take up space on my device and not give me an option not to do that? Is this enforced spam?

No, it's the price of using the product. You don't have to use Mazingo. And I'm often on the edge of not using it.

Jason Dunn
04-17-2002, 04:34 PM
I've an Ipaq 3850 and I started storing the Manzingo files to my Ipaq storage area, instead of deleting older files

There are certain programs that don't work well in Flash ROM, and Mazingo is one of them. I've encouraged them to add a warning during the install routine about that. :-)

That seems...odd. :?

Pete Wilson
04-17-2002, 06:35 PM
I really hoped Mazingo 4.0a would fix the problem I have of Mazingo never finishing deleting files and uncompressing while the iPAQ is in the dock. Since it doesn't run while off, that means my device sits in the dock for hours doing nothing, then I can't read any Mazingo when I take it away unless I carry it with it on for a while.

I think their entire compression scheme needs work, but when I tried to synch uncompressed, it took over ten minutes for Mazingo to start. They have a long way to go before they reach Mobile Favorites status, let alone compete with AvantGo...

Perry
04-17-2002, 11:27 PM
Is it safe to say that after 15 minutes of 'loading,' Mazingo probably won't work on my Casio EM500?

Too bad, there was some cool content I was looking forward to reading.

Don't Panic!
04-18-2002, 03:20 AM
Is it safe to say that after 15 minutes of 'loading,' Mazingo probably won't work on my Casio EM500?

Too bad, there was some cool content I was looking forward to reading.
Depends on what you were syncing and how much space you have where you were syncing to. 15 minutes is not uncommon in my experience using 56k dialup.

Don't Panic!
Bobby