View Full Version : Mobius Europe 2002, Journal Day 2

Jason Dunn
04-12-2002, 07:14 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7543">http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7543</a><br /><br />Day two of two at Mobius 2002, with a lot of learning on Smartphones, 02 XDA, and why Microsoft created a reference phone with TI.<br /><br />"The morning opened with a presentation by Robbie Wright, the Director of Microsoft EMEA Mobility. He gave us an overview of Microsoft’s mobility focus, .Net, and some facts about the mobility industry. It’s a big playing field: $500 billion dollar industry with both voice and data. The carriers want to see 20+% of that money coming from data, so there’s a big incentive for them to figure out the hardware, software, and services needed to make people want wireless data..."

Kre
04-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Yes, and lets hope they dont forget about figuring out price, to make people want wireless.

I say, a per month flat fee for all you can eat wireless. :D

gregh
04-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Did I also read that you CANNOT read word or Excel docs on a smartphone or XDA?

Think I'll keep my 3870 and bluetooth GPRS phone!

regards,

greg

marlof
04-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Greg, no, you can't on a Smartphone (which is too bad!), but you can on a Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition like de O2 XDA/Wallaby or the Jornada 928. The Phone Edition is the same as your current Pocket PC 2002, with additional phone software.

Ed Hansberry
04-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Did I also read that you CANNOT read word or Excel docs on a smartphone or XDA?

Think I'll keep my 3870 and bluetooth GPRS phone!

No, but keep in mind the SmartPhone 2002 platform isn't really aimed at heavy data users. I doubt many Pocket PC users would give up their Pocket PC in favor of a SmartPhone. That is what Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition is for.

SP2002 is really for voice centric users that would like to read their emails and have their datebook planner in the phone. It will of course do more than that, but reading email attachments and the like is not the focus.

That being said, I'd wager money someone will come out with XLS and DOC viewers. :)

isrjt
04-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the great pictures and story. How long till hicksville USA gets a hold of these. Have they officially launched in Europe yet?

I think that we need to separate the phone from the pocket PC. I personally could get buy with the phone only. I primarily use the PIM, read ebooks and, I can rewrite my weight lifting program to use the phone UI. For others the phone just won't cut it and they will have the phone edition or just a plain old PocketPC. In order for the device to be truely good a onething others have to take a second seat. Why not have both? I am going to have to get one of those evests to hold all these gadgets.