View Full Version : iPAQ 3800 backlight issue - resolved?

Ed Hansberry
04-10-2002, 07:23 PM
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3<br /><br />Compaq has issued an advisory on their 3800 series iPAQ's that may fail to illuminate when you turn them on. There is a range of serial numbers that are affected, and it involves a product return. :-( I was hoping it would be a software patch.<br /><br />Well, I just got off of the phone with Compaq because my 3875 suffers this affliction and they is sending a box to have my device picked up. Sigh..... How will I ever live with my 3630 for a week. :-D

tccox
04-10-2002, 07:53 PM
:D Dang Ed, I'll have to do totally without for a week. Saw the advisory first thing this morning and right away called Compaq to arrange repair/replacement. Was'nt sure if I wanted to at first cause my backlight problem do'snt seem to be as bad as some folks but then thought problem might get worse so I went ahead and called. A couple of questions since I've never returned a unit to Compaq before.

1. What gets sent back ? Just system unit or unit with original box and all assessories ? I also assume I need to hard reset to remove all personal info.......

2. I've heard horror stories about getting a scratched or otherwise damaged unit back. Anyone confirm this ?????? What will we get back ???Our original unit ??? A a new unit or refurbished unit ???

Thanks

murph
04-10-2002, 07:54 PM
FINALLY! I was afraid I was going to wear out my screen display from sliding the brightness control up and down all the time.

Very annoying bug. They are sending me a shipping box too. 1 week with out my 3850?? It's gonna be a long week.....

Ed Hansberry
04-10-2002, 07:56 PM
1. What gets sent back ? Just system unit or unit with original box and all assessories ? I also assume I need to hard reset to remove all personal info.......

2. I've heard horror stories about getting a scratched or otherwise damaged unit back. Anyone confirm this ?????? What will we get back ???Our original unit ??? A a new unit or refurbished unit ???

I've done this with CPQ once before. My unit was just fine - no scratches or anything.

Remove your SD card and stylus. I am going to put the plastic SD insert in to make sure nothing gets in that slot. Chances are you will get a new stylus.

They are sending a box. Just put your iPAQ in there with the included packaging materials, a business card or something with your address and the description of the problem, and send it back.'

I won't bother hard-resetting it. Mine locks after X minutes of non-use anyway. Of the off chance they don't remove power from the unit when switching out the component, I won't have to do a restore when I get it back, but my data will be safe from prying eyes regardless. Not like Compaq has nothing better to do than steal stuff from user's iPAQ's.

tccox
04-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Sob, Sob, Sob. Just went to the Compaq support forum at Pocketnow.Com. Joel, the Compaq representative is saying that this still might not fix the problem and to wait on sending units in until they are sure about correct fix. Well Compaq already has a box on the way to me......... What to do..... What to do...........

RavenSBNC
04-10-2002, 08:08 PM
I haven't had this problem with my 3835 at all. But when I enter the serial number in, it came as that it is possibly affected. But I havent had the problem at least that I've noticed. So should I sent it in for repair or not? I really don't know what to do now.

FrankO
04-10-2002, 08:21 PM
:cry: Hi, I too am afflicted with this sporadic malfunction on my 3835. It happens infrequently enough that I'm thinking of not sending it in. Especially if they don't have a fix for it, as stated above by tccox. But then again that sounds mor like propaganda so that they don't get flooded with requests. Just my .02

Jason Lee
04-10-2002, 08:33 PM
:cry: NOOOO!!! I had to send my old ipaq 3650 back for the screen alingment problem... Not again... Can't live without digital left hand... :cry:

Mycroft
04-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, my 3870 seems to be affected. I really don't want to do without it for a week though. If I bought a carePAQ now, would they ship a "good" one out to me to exchange the first one with, keeping me from having to do without it?

Tom Byrum

kevin
04-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Hey Ed,

Some of us "mere mortals" have to struggle with "old" iPAQ's (3650's etc.) whilst you "demi gods" strut around with the latest model.

You techno-snob!

Try to be a bit more sensitive to your readership pal.

I hope that your miserable 3630 serves you well whilst your NEW model is away getting a facelift from Compaq. :roll:

Ed Hansberry
04-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Hey Ed,

Some of us "mere mortals" have to struggle with "old" iPAQ's (3650's etc.) whilst you "demi gods" strut around with the latest model.

You techno-snob!

Try to be a bit more sensitive to your readership pal.

I hope that your miserable 3630 serves you well whilst your NEW model is away getting a facelift from Compaq. :roll:

Sorry you didn't see the sarcasm in the post. Cut back on the caffeine, OK? ;-)

Janak Parekh
04-11-2002, 12:03 AM
For those of you who have this problem: did it happen soon after purchase? My unit is in the range, but I've had few to no backlight problems (except that it doesn't want to turn off when I'm playing media... go figure).

--bdj

Ed Hansberry
04-11-2002, 03:16 AM
For those of you who have this problem: did it happen soon after purchase? My unit is in the range, but I've had few to no backlight problems (except that it doesn't want to turn off when I'm playing media... go figure).

Day one. It seems to be one of those things that either works or doesn't. I haven't heard of anyone developing this problem.

bblock
04-11-2002, 03:48 AM
Mine started a week after I got it (in December). I'll wait to see if they finalize a permanent fix before I send it away. Hasn't happened much, but once in a while is too often for what I paid for it.

surfaday
04-11-2002, 04:25 AM
Ordered my return box today. Thanks for such an informative website! I'll keep you informed how the shipping works from Hawaii. I had a great experience sending my laptop back to Compaq once. I called on a Monday and I had the laptop back in my hands by Friday of the same week! I was impressed. I hope for as good a turn around this time.

My back light problem happens every single morning after the ipaq has been off overnight. No question for me - I want it fixed.

Here is a bit of information the rep on the phone told me: if I back up I still may not be able to restore - if they change the motherboard there may be a different rom version and it won't accept the restore. Don't know if thats true, its just what she said. I can sync the data in my outlook, but non-outlook data - you need to save in a file on your hard drive.

I assume people should get their ipaqs sent in as soon as possible - those guys are going to be drowning in repairs!

Walt

Jason Lee
04-11-2002, 04:35 AM
Well, good news for me. I just remembered that I paid for the Best Buy 3 year replacement plan so my llittle anti-luminous ipaq will be swaped in store for a brand new one!

I knew those service plans would pay off eventually. :)

Kilmerr
04-11-2002, 05:02 AM
Sigh, typical. :x Are they gonna fix ClearType and dark colors too and while they are at, waiting on fixes for the speed issues and the 38xx SD problem? Ain't gonna happen. XScale, next gen, buy a new machine...

Yet ANOTHER admission and failure...only 6 months+ after. Hope it really fixes it. My HP dust return 'fixed' machine has more than the first one. Great job HP.

2002 is horrid, hardware and softwarewise. MS and the OEMs blew it bigtime.

Jason Dunn
04-11-2002, 05:32 AM

Gosh, then everyone who's reading this web site is really a sucker then eh? :roll:

eric linsley
04-11-2002, 06:31 AM
has anyone had toruble with the 37 series?

i have been having toruble with my 3765 not staying brite
it wil be one bright for a few seconds and then it goes to the default setting

ill go back and it goes back?
i know at least one other person that has had the smae problem

:?:

Master O'Mayhem
04-11-2002, 06:31 AM
Sigh, typical. :x Are they gonna fix ClearType and dark colors too and while they are at, waiting on fixes for the speed issues and the 38xx SD problem? Ain't gonna happen. XScale, next gen, buy a new machine...

Yet ANOTHER admission and failure...only 6 months+ after. Hope it really fixes it. My HP dust return 'fixed' machine has more than the first one. Great job HP.

You should really change your nick to Schleprock. Man you really do have a black cloud over your head.

BTW my serial number is in that range on my two 3870's... i dont have that problem. 2002 and my IPAQ 3870's ROCK!!! :P

Kilmerr
04-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Black cloud? Nah, I like Pocket PC's. 2002 on the other hand...was a screwup. I think anyone truly honest has to admit that.

So if I don't cheerlead left and right, black cloud...interesting logic.

A sucker? Yup. If they wanted a dust free HP and buttons that work, glitch free iPAQ, a Casio without a backlight and directional pad problem, and Toshiba without a serious battery drain and other issues, a NEC that didn't require a hard reset every week seemingly, not to mention a host of other OEM problems. How many recalls does it take? And this is only one issue with the iPAQ. Messy ClearType, dark colors, speed issues, and SD cards that get randomly eaten. If I wanted something that WORKED I guess I got suckered, eh? If I thought that eveything that worked in 2000, would also work in 2002, I guess I was a sucker. Yup. And so is everyone else whether they know it or not. If I expected quality and if I expected not to be buffeted by recall/hardware problem notices all the time, yeah. Sure. I am a sucker. If I expected my SD card data to stay safe, yeah.

Guess it will take another try, but issues like this should have been ironed out long ago. New machines and a ton of Service Packs...and a new OS. I will be there tho. Just like everyone else. People complained about Windows ME too, and I love XP. The fact that a person was down on Windows ME, that was a Black Cloud? Maybe it was reality. I am saying 2002 is a Windows ME, a hack, hardware and softwarewise. Too many problems for something to not be seriously wrong. And deep down I think most Pocket PC users know this.

But I already know the blanket excuses, "Pocket PC does more, we are better than Palm", yadda, yadda, yah. Ever notice that when Symbian, Blackberry or Palm (or even a Mac) does something people like, everyone goes always "room for more", but when they all do something people DO NOT like...it is too "simple" or "struck in a good enough mindset". Pocket PC is the future it does more, so the standard argument goes. Well more can be less. And less can be more. All depends upon the person. More can be more, but it sometimes not worth the cost. A Ferrari is way MORE than my car. Guess I am a sucker for driving a Ford then. The 13,200 companies that are doing RIM (Business Week figures), and Pocket PC ain't even in that space yet. So I guess 13,200 companies are all suckers? Cause they dared pick "less" over "more"?

Pocket PC is more. Yup. But more of what? More functionality but more problems and more headaches? Yup.

Your iPAQs rock? Not with ClearType, not with SD, not with the Bluetooth stack and not with the display memory being addressed backwards...sorry.

http://articles.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=articles&id=65

PP MAryl
04-11-2002, 11:24 AM
I cannot get access to the Compaq's page, did you have the same problem?
There is this error:

Source load error:
System error: -2146697210.
Couldn't transform source using the stylesheet because:
System error: -2146697210.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3 :cry:

tccox
04-11-2002, 12:15 PM
And now the service advisory has been removed from the Compaq site........... Whet the heck is going on. I've got a mail-in box being sent to me and I'm no longer sure sending it back right now is the right thing to do.........

Ed Hansberry
04-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Black cloud? Nah, I like Pocket PC's. 2002 on the other hand...was a screwup. I think anyone truly honest has to admit that.

So, if anyone like PPC 2002 better than 2000, they are either diluding themselves or are a liar?

You could save yourself some grief killmer by reading another site. I know the fun we have over here with PPC's in general must be depressing for you. :roll:

hollis_f
04-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Hmmm,

This news quite surprised me as I'd assumed that this was a software problem. That's because my 3850 suffered from it for a couple of months and then suddenly stopped. Now I'd installed a lot of software near that time so I assumed that one of those additions had fixed the problem.

Kilmerr
04-11-2002, 02:12 PM
So, if anyone like PPC 2002 better than 2000, they are either diluding themselves or are a liar?

Like is totally subjective. But if they are expecting software and hardware problems to be fixed from 2000 to 2002, then yes they are diluding themselves. You can like it better all you want, but that doesn't dismiss real problems.

I know the fun we have over here with PPC's in general must be depressing for you.

You really just miss the point, doncha? 2002 is buggy & OEM hardware problems galore. Fun? Fun? Some people want to do MORE than have fun. Like get some real work done. So fun means they are toys and not tools? And even you hafta be without your PDA for awhile. So like have fun. Apply logic and basic common sense ever so often. Lay off the MVP set cheerleading. Defending the indefensible becomes an impossible task.

Marc Zimmermann
04-11-2002, 02:31 PM
BTW my serial number is in that range on my two 3870's... i dont have that problem.

Same for me.

Ed Hansberry
04-11-2002, 02:56 PM
You really just miss the point, doncha? 2002 is buggy & OEM hardware problems galore. Fun? Fun? Some people want to do MORE than have fun. Like get some real work done. So fun means they are toys and not tools? And even you hafta be without your PDA for awhile. So like have fun. Apply logic and basic common sense ever so often. Lay off the MVP set cheerleading. Defending the indefensible becomes an impossible task.

I do use my PDA for work. Pocket Informant 3 keeps me straight, Pocket Mindmap keeps my thoughts organized, Listpro keeps my lists in order, ewallet keeps my confidential stuff confidential. Voice Recorder allows me to remember things as I am driving or doing something that doesn't readily allow me to whip out the stylus.

I am an MVP because I like the product. I do not like the product because I am an MVP. :roll: I am here because I like the product. Does it have bugs? Sure. But last time I checked, it wasn't Pocket PC's that were frying consumer's motherboards. All PDA's and computers have bugs and glitches. I wish they didn't, but I don't moan and groan about it all day long. Mr. Mayhem was right. You do have a cloud over your head. Get another hobby. Your hobby should not get you down and depressed. It should make you feel good, a pleasure to engage in it.

The only thing indefensible is your attitude. Perhaps you should spend some time at http://cheesenet.wgx.com/. It would go great with that whine you have. :roll:

Jason Dunn
04-11-2002, 03:51 PM
You really just miss the point, doncha? 2002 is buggy & OEM hardware problems galore.

So?

Truly, what's your point? We heard you the first ten times you said this.

Sanjay Srikonda
04-11-2002, 06:51 PM
I just got off the telephone from compaq, since i only bought my ipaq 3835 on April 1st, they're replacing my unit with a 3850. Originaly they wanted to repair it, I asked them to replace it, next day (I made the original phone call yesterday to tech support), I got a very nice phone call from Monica at Compaq, I should have my new unit by tomorrow and return the older one Monday.

now, that's service.

Ed Hansberry
04-12-2002, 04:43 PM
I just got off of the phone with Compaq. Given that their advisory at http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3 now says not to return the iPAQ's at this time, I was reluctant to put it in the box and send it in this morning. So, I called them to ask if I could just hang on to the box.

They now think they will be able to do this with a SOFTWARE patch, but we still don't know when, so for now, I'll just deal with the occasional fumblng around to get the backlight to come on. In the mean time, if you haven't sent yours in, don't.

Sanjay Srikonda
04-12-2002, 04:56 PM
compaq dispatched eagle delivery service to send me a new 3850, they expect the old unit back on monday, so it's not a good idea to send this unit of mine back that was bought on april 1st for a new unit from compaq?

Ed Hansberry
04-12-2002, 05:40 PM
compaq dispatched eagle delivery service to send me a new 3850, they expect the old unit back on monday, so it's not a good idea to send this unit of mine back that was bought on april 1st for a new unit from compaq?

No, you now have two units so you should send the old one back.

I was talking about those of us that have to send our old one in for repair. Sound like you got a good deal or have the CarePAQ.

Sanjay Srikonda
04-12-2002, 06:04 PM
I don't have an carepaq, thought about getting one, decided against it for now. I called compaq as soon as i saw the issue posted, they offered me to repair it. I asked them since the unit was only a week old could i choose for a repair or a replacement, the tech said he had to bump it up to someone else, someone else called me and asked when would be a good time to deliver my new unit.

very nice I think, let's see how new the new unit is, they're sending me a 3850 even though I bought a 3835 bc the 3835 is retail, 3850 is direct from compaq. unfortunately, I don't get the software they're providing with the 3850s just the 3850 itself.

but who's complaining?