View Full Version : SD Card Question.

berzins
04-04-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey guys. I just purchased my first PocketPC not long ago (IPAQ 3850), and also just recently a SanDISK 128Mb SD Card. When I first installed it into the IPaq it seemed to work fine. At the same time I got the card I also installed an SD card manager "Storage Tools". Being the smart guy I am, I used there format command thinking that would be the first step. No I can't access the card at all, and even power up shows failure with the card.

So my questions are this:

1) Does a SanDisk 128Mb SD Cad work in an IPaq? All I see mentioned is Palm.

2) Is there any way to get this card working again? I've tried everything I can think of, but am new to Pocket PC stuff.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Dave...

Jason Dunn
04-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Go grab the Compaq SD fix and see if it helps:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=703

berzins
04-04-2002, 10:08 PM
I had already done that update, but that was before I received the card. I guess it can't hurt. I've tried the card in another IPAQ and id fails there as well. I just hope I did not screw up the card... Sheesh!

Dave...

Jason Dunn
04-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Hmm. It doesn't sound promising - time for triage! Get the paddles.... ;-)

berzins
04-04-2002, 10:25 PM
Crap! Well I will see what anyone else says and then just return it for a new one I guess. My suggestion would for another NOT to use he format command in Storage Tools with this SD Card until someone figures it out. I will also point out that I've emailed them and they do not responde to emails (or yet anyway).

Dave...

berzins
04-06-2002, 12:41 PM
Not that is sounds like to many people were interested, but I did manage to fix my SD Card problem. On a lark, I decided to re-download the SD Card fix from Compaq. On installing it to the IPAQ it of course already knew I had installed it and asked if I would like to uninstall it. After unistalling it, re-installing it again, all was well. Not sure if I originally had a bad install or what, but it is working great now. (Thank God!).

Dave...

Richardo233
05-06-2002, 08:09 PM
There have been uncountable complaints about SD compatibility with the iPAQ 3800 series. I suggest that you use an MMC (MultiMediaCard). That seems to be the best solution, since they come in the same size and storage. I have tried it and it works much better. Compaq even says it is compatable. One benifit is price. They are a few bucks cheaper than SD if you shop around. Try eBAY. Good Luck! -Rick

XYXOXY
06-18-2002, 05:39 AM
I recently purchased my 3870 and then ran right out and bought the Sandisk 128MB SD card. I've since read a few things about SD card performance being... well.. :cry: kinda slow.

I have used the backup utility twice to backup 8-9MB of data and the process takes 30-40 minutes. Is this normal ?

Should I send this back for replacement or buy an MMC card or is there something I can do to improve this speed on my current SD card ? I got a great deal on it ($64) but if this is the best I can expect from it then it's hardly worth it to me. I don't need lightning speed but a 40 minute backup ties up my IPAQ for about 35 minutes too long.

I have not loaded the Compaq SD card fix since it seemed to apply only to Compaq brand SD cards that did not work at all. But I'll try it if it might help.

Suggestions ?

Jason Dunn
06-18-2002, 05:59 AM
I have not loaded the Compaq SD card fix since it seemed to apply only to Compaq brand SD cards that did not work at all. But I'll try it if it might help.

No, the patch is for the SD *slot* on the iPAQ, not the cards. Install the patch for sure!

But the bottom line is that Compaq cheaped out on the SD slots and gave users nasty performance.

XYXOXY
06-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Tried the patch... SP20740 right ?

Performed a normal reset. Started another backup. Space needed for backup is up to 10MB (woo-hoo!).

It has now been 15 minutes and the backup is barely over 30% complete.

I guess I would like to know if this is similar to anyone else's experience before I start chasing my tail with more patches, uninstalls, reinstalls etc. If this is the best I can expect.... well it sucks but OK then it sucks.... time to look at alternatives.

Or am I just missing something obvious ? It wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks to Jason and any and all others who care to comment.

- Michael

==============================================
Update - 10225.15KB backed up to SD card in 53 minutes.
However I then tested another theory that the slow speed may be in the IPAQ backup utility. I copied a 2.5MB wav file from main memory to the storage card and the total copy time was almost exactly 2 minutes. Not wonderful but much better than the backup utility. I guess that makes sense if you don't think about it too carefully.

Maybe I will just work out some sort of batch process to copy all files instead of running backup.

... or maybe I'll just go to bed.

griph
06-21-2002, 09:52 PM
I have a Lexar 128mb sd Card I purchased to use with my 3870. I have had a steady stream of odd behaviour:
On reset, the machine hangs when restarting apps in the start menu - until I remove the SD card - the machine then finishes the start up.
Accessing ebooks stored on the SD results in very slow switch off when pressing the off button. (Can take 15 - 20 seconds to switch off).
Whilst reading ebooks I have had occasional spontaneous loss of access to the storage card initial problem - display of error message in Reader, followed by Storage Card folder not being visible in explorer.
Fairly regular crashes of the iPaq.
Has anyone else had these problems? Will the SD fix fix it? Should I go for a Multi-media card instead, and if so - any advice on the best one assuming a need for a 128mB MM card.
Help would be appreciated.

spursdude
06-25-2002, 06:12 PM
==============================================
Update - 10225.15KB backed up to SD card in 53 minutes.
However I then tested another theory that the slow speed may be in the IPAQ backup utility. I copied a 2.5MB wav file from main memory to the storage card and the total copy time was almost exactly 2 minutes. Not wonderful but much better than the backup utility. I guess that makes sense if you don't think about it too carefully.

Maybe I will just work out some sort of batch process to copy all files instead of running backup.

... or maybe I'll just go to bed.

man....i don't know if all sd cards are like that, but that's pitiful. on my audiiovox maestro with a cf card, backup takes about 30 seconds. copying a 4MB snes rom took about 15 seconds. ipaq's need built in cf....